Mr Bumble's Phaeton's Discussion Thread

wagon

bet you could squeeze a gel battery up in here...

P1070761.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
Yes, I think we've talked about that before, bit of a pain to get to, I'm currently happy where the full size one is, unless I start to need that space for other things, if I can pick up a cheap battery box I may enclose it.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
wagon":epaxcqix said:
What about your weight distribution :)
Bit personal that isn't it! The older I get the more that comes on around the middle & no matter how much dieting I do I can't get rid of it ;D

No seriously, the difference in the battery & the fully filled radiator with 2 fans on, can only be a couple of Kg's granted an extra couple may help, but it's not like we're talking sports cars here.

Alan...

Skirrow

Phaeton":1r671raa said:
I know it looks wrong & one of the reasons I was looking at a gel battery. The terminal nearest the filler is the earth, the tank is earthed so there theoretically there should be no difference in potential. It's all in an open space, I do understand the concerns, but cannot see the issue, but I really  am happy to be enlightened if I am missing something.

Alan...

I've only dipped into this thread while I'm working but...

I had a short the other week (a hole in the plastic cover fore the positive lead came away and the wire came into contact with one of the panels). This caused the negative lead to get hot and start smoking before I got it off. In the process of taking it off and trying to get them back on (when I thought I had fixed the fault but I hadn't) I got some good sparks off the battery terminals.

I wouldn't put mine near the fuel filler after that, although chances are that it would be perfectly fine and I'd never see another fault with it.

As I say sorry if I haven;t read the thread fully and I've missed something!

Mini Mad Max

Really nice shape, It's hard to tell which will look better between your's and Steve's. I wonder if it will handle much differently to steves being a shorter wheelbase? Are you going to keep your behind the seats tank then for your K series set up?
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
I think Steve's will still have the better handling due to the length, but we will see. Yes keeping the tank, have to decide whether I try to fit the submerged pump in it or go for an external Facet.

Alan

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

collie

A weekend well spent Alan, finally you have a K series taking shape and with purpose!
I realise Steve's will handle better and not to detract from Steve's awesome efforts but the shorter wheelbase retains the freestyle's original character methinks?
Might have to pop over for a looky see this week?

Baloo

hi Alan
looking good, l like the shorter wheelbase, what are you going to do about the different wheel stud patten front and rear, l am in exactly the same position, dont want to have 2 spare wheels , do you think there is enough meat on the front mini hubs to re drill them at 95.25mm ? think thats what l am going to try unless you can get metro flanges on mini hubs ?

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
It is an issue Andy, not sure of the answer yet. I was hoping to do it the other way round, run 13" but they will not clear the mgf suspension. I was going to sort out gearchange then hand brake, then look at wiring & then consider the wheels last. I do have another set of mgf flanges I wonder if they will fit Mini hubs?

Alan

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mini Mad Max

Steve ended up turning down a couple of PCD adaptors, which is great if you have access to the machinary. When I've been curious in the past, I have found these: http://www.force-racing.co.uk/front-suspension/ (about halfway down the page are drive flanges with custom PCD fitments). At £160 per pair it's not a cheap fix, but that way you could have them on the front mini hubs with the same PCD as the MGF ones on the back.
Max

CAW

Hi Alan,

Well done for getting stuck in, in this crap weather we seem to be having, bloody hail stone with rain we had on friday last. Brave man welding that close to that tank by the way ;)

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
CAW":a0cw3677 said:
Brave man welding that close to that tank by the way ;)
I chickened out in the end & removed it along with the seats for final welding ;D

Thanks for the link Max, hopefully find another solution, they're a bit expensive for my tastes.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Just another question to the group, I have currently removed the rear anti-roll bar, it will go bcak on it I want, but what's everybodies thoughts, mine was with a lot less weight that a MGF the anti-roll bar might make it too stiff on the back end.

Andy (Baloo) how do you figure sealing & re-pressurising your units again??

Alan...

Baloo

hi Alan

well l havent realy decided which option l am going with on the rear as l have the spheres off the mgf and also spax coil overs, l might even run both and play around with settings, off the mgf there is 2 long pipes that conected the front and rear spheres on the end of this plastic pipe there is a metal bit with a valve in it, l was just going to cut this bit of pipe off weld up the opening where l cut it and then screw it on to the sphere to give me a means of getting a charge into the sphere, l might also drill a hole in the top of the sphere and weld a nut in so l can screw a valve in there as well, that way l can alter the nitrogen pressure above the diaphram as well as the fluid below it, havent figured out how to drill a hole in a sphere that has 150 psi in it yet but l am sure l will lol, l was looking at this link http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/su ... sation.htm
l have access to a nitrogen bottle with regulator and by the time comes l am sure l will have a fluid pump from somewhere,
there are cheap grease gun types on ebay but l am hunting for a proper one although l might be able to make one out of a transit tail lift hydraulic pump l have kicking around
and l have already binned the antiroll bar dont think it will be needed on a lightwieght buggy

cheers Andy

Baloo

it may also be possible to make a little charge pump out of a power steering pump of a citroen xantia which uses the same fluid to to pressureise the 5 spheres it has for the suspension, the power steering pump does this but it could be made in a little unit with a starter motor rigged up to turn the power steering/suspension pump

yikes another project ::)

it may be possible to just use an electric power steering pump to pump up the spheres, l will look into pressures
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-saxo- ... 19c982cfe6

Phaeton

Staff member
I've kept the piece of pipe off the front sphere's the bit that comes from the sphere to a Schrader valve & then picked up the front to rear pipe, was going to take them down to the local hydraulics firm to see if they can provide fittings to seal them, somebody did mention on another site about just welding them up, but for the price of a few fittings I'd prefer a proper approach. There's a pump on ebay close to me at the moment, so watching that, but last one I saw went for silly money.

Alan..