Road Trip 2010 Route/Location TBA

jason_l

Radar":38mzeqoj said:
Isle Of Skye/scootish highlands ..fantastic roads more empty by a long way to

Radar

Maybe something a bit closer? im in southampton  :eek: Although i would probably still be in if it is in scotland, just might need an extra day before and after to travel!

collie

Isle of Arran is good to visit, camping on the beach a possibiity, then take the coastal road and the only inland road as a figure of eight before catching a ferry next day further north?
I also hear Exmoor has some rather nice driving:
# Exmoor Coast Road
The A39 is a fast road with good sweeping bends, several nice ups and downs and corkers of hills at either end. My favourite section is from Lynmouth to Porlock. Great views at County Gate and throughout. Lots of interesting side roads, including narrow scuttles across the moors.

# Exmoor Exe Valley Road
Rated highly by a famous motoring journalist, the A396 from Tiverton to Dunster is a twisting, narrow two-lane run through woodland alongside the River Exe. In following the course of the river the road meanders wildly offering an almost unceasing sequence of corners. Although I'm sure it will get resurfaced one day, I find that the rough broken tarmac a problem and because of the overhanging trees, the route is often damp and slippery.

# Exmoor Brendon Common Road
The Brendon Hills and Brendon Common are crossed by fast B-roads that are rarely congested, even in the height of the caravan migration. The B3223 is the best of the bunch for driving thrills. Good visibility and nice corners make for a great few miles that you will probably want to repeat.

Mini Mad Max

I hear cumbria and the lake district is alright ;)
But i agree, Isle of man would be great, although how much does the ferry cost?
Then Isle of sky would be great but that takes for ever to get there from midlands, i'm talking 12 hours if traffic is good.  What about Yorkshire, thats in the middle of everyone. Some great roads round there.
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Although the thought of going to IOM does appeal, there's only just over 35 miles of road, so after we've been round 5 times what else is there to do?

I'd be happy to go back to Wales again, maybe lower down getting out to Pendine Sands so we can go on the beach. Or up the Wye valley, these are all areas that I have not been so being a little selfish, but keep the ideas coming.

You never know we might have a heatwave in September & have to do a practice, well those that can, could, hehehehehehe

Alan...

esdebe

we need to look at the google satalite view and plan a route, that is what I did for the route as far as Aberystwyth.

I'd like to go to Ireland, but given the limited distance we manage to cover in a day (about 200 miles) it would take a day just to get to the ferry and a day to get back from the ferry so we would need a whole week to have enougth time in Ireland to do something interesting...

Phaeton

Staff member
Tried to embed the map but it won't work so here's my second day suggestion, meet at Bewdley for the first day then

2nd Day

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
For info Max you do

"["url=put link here"]"WORDS HERE"["/url"]" You just don't need the quotes " but had to put them in so you could see.

Not sure you've put the right link up as it seems the same as mine???

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Darn it! Can't be bothered to do it again, so i will just say it on here.
1. Meet in Newcastle near gateshead.
2. Get onto the A692 and follow it all the way to the A68
3. Go south before turning right onto the A689
4. Follow all the way upto Alston
5. Take A686 down to Melmerby, then Langwathby then into Penrith
6. Get anything from halfrauds or the motorshop if required
7. Go through industrial estate (can play about in the empty car parks doing donuts for a bit)
8. Head out of penrith on the B5288 and turn right onto Newton Road
9. Follow to Newton Reigny
10. Turn right out of Newton Reigny towards Catterlen
11. Turn left down my drive for cups of tea and the garage to do any repairs if required.
12. Then head off a mile down the road to a Campsite in Laithes
13. Walk to pub at Little Blencow in the evening for a drink and maybe a meal.
                          End Of Day 1
Day 2:
TBA, Idea: Go to a pass somewhere in the lakes, razz about up and down, Drive somewhere then camp.

The A686 is an amazing road!
Plenty of fun and challenging passes in the lakes too :D

Thanks for the enlightenment alan, i've been trying to figure that out for ages! :)
Max

Mini Mad Max

Have a look at Hardknott Pass, It's a very long windy road that is rated high on the driving roads of cumbria:
Look at the windy road
Trying to find others,
Max :D
Search Rhino Pass if you look at Hardknott, it's right near Hardnot. I'm trying to figure out a decent route to get to Grassmere from Penrith.

jason_l

why do i get the feeling if i attend this next year i am going to need a few days before and after just to make it there/back  :D

Radar

My vote if I get one is for Mini mad maxs proposal it  sounds the business plus I have driven some of that route b4 its way good for buggys

Radar

Mini Mad Max

I am planning day 2, it involves 4 lakes and 3 mountain passes ;D
My dad suggests another route for another trip which goes from south Cumbria to yorkshire.
Max

esdebe

Jason, I agree, I'm halfway there but it would take me a day to get to the starting point too. 

From this years outing, we found doing about 200 miles a day the maximum, we averaged about 30 miles an hour (seems slow) but this accounts for any road side repairs and general sight seeing.

As with the journey this year I'd recommend that we merge into small groups, as it pays to travel in convoy and makes it mor fun too.

It's best to keep off main roads as it is no fun being stuck behind drivers that don't want to take bends at speed, and when travelling in convoy overtaking is a little more limited.

I like the idea of the Lake District but would need to find a FUN route to drive there and back to make it more apealing, and then I would meet up for 1 day with the rest of you at the lakes and possibly break into a smaller group of people traveling in the same direction to do the FUN routes there and back on the other 2 days. Giving a 3 day excursion.

If we were to do a long weekend (4 days) then I could spend 2 days at the lakes, but it all depends on how the routes look.

Simon

jason_l

Think you may be on to something here Simon.

Almost like a convoy coming from the south and one from the north, head towards each other and have a few days as a big convoy then split up and head back our seperate ways in two smaller convoys.

Either way if my buggy is built and on the road i should probably be there  ;D

Danny

Administrator
Hello Chaps,

Driving in convoy doesnt cause problems when overtaking when I drove in europ the gut at the front of the que would just hang on the wrong side of the road letting everybody behind no its still safe to pass!

I am up for going anywhere however it does depend on money quite a bit getting time off shant be a problem but the financial bit might be...

Also I dont get back into the UK till middle of april so gonna need a bit of time to get to grips with reality! I know your hearts bleed!

Danny