Road Trip 2010 Route/Location TBA

Phaeton

Staff member
Well Danny unless you change your exhaust you're going to be BANNED anyway, we're putting a noise limit on the run.

Alan...

Steve

It was bad enough on the last trip. Alan decided to do some modifications to his exhaust.
(What a racket).

esdebe

In the welsh mountain roads you couldn't stay on the other side of the road as you wouldn't see what was round the next bend.  You had to go in and out quickly, and when over taking a long queue that is happy to sit behind a caravan you would never get the whole convoy past before we duck off onto another twisty side road.

esdebe

Yes but still quieter than Dannys... 

Danny it's not like having an exhaust with no padding makes it faster or sound better, it just makes it more anoying.   

I've had to put a curfew on when Danny could visit me as his exhaust wakes up the street, (and my son).

Mini Mad Max

Haha, it must be really bad then, i just thought you like to tease him and exagerate but obviously not :D
I will have to re-think my route then. All the northeners could go in convoy accross the pennines whilst the southeners find an interesting route up to penrith, then meet the southeners in penrith the next morning. Then head off down the side of Ulswater, over the kirkstone pass to rydal water and grassmere where we can have fun on Rhino pass and Hardknott pass. Then head offto the coast. last day spent getting back to penrith.
What do you think of that brief description? ;D
Max

Radar

what do I think ? a spell checker is needed Max lmao...the route sounds the dogs nuts tho' so my vote is still with you and Simons two convoy approach makes sense and adds to it.

Radar

Mini Mad Max

Ok so the route so far is:
Day 1:
Northerners meet at Gateshead and drive in convoy to penrith over the pennines. To account for any scots then we can probably leave gateshead by 3pm to get to Penrith in the evening.
Southeners meet in a suitable place and make there way to penrith, I suggest through the peak district and along the foot of the pennines (if that's possible, i don't have a geat road knowledge of down south apart from the motorways and A roads)
Then camp at a campsite near Ulswater, I'm thinking Pooley Bridge.
Day 2:
Head off in convoy down the side of Ullswater and head over Kirkstone pass. Get to troutbeck by windemere then drive up on the Ambleside road to Rhino Pass along the rydal road to grassmere, then turn back along rydal road (doing rydal road for fun) then take the A593 through Skelwith Bridge. Turn right off the A593 for Little Langdale. Carry on past Little Langdale tarn. The road then forks, stay on the road on the left to Cockley Beck, turn right and Follow the Hardknott Pass. Follow the road through Beckfoot untill we get to Eskdale, where we stop for end of day 2.

Day3:
Head out of Eskdale towards the coast and turn right along Bowerhouse Bank. Follow this road to a fork, turn right to Gosforth. Then join the A595 up the coast a bit. After getting to Egremont, turn right along Main street. Then in Cockermouth take the B5292 to Braithwaite (the Whinlattor pass). Take the A66 back to Penrith if we need to be back quickly otherwise, turn off the A66 onto the A5091 to Ulswater and drive back along the side of Ullswater to Penrith along the A592.

The End :D

Mini Mad Max

Ok i will as I've come up with a second route now trying to avoid main roads as much as possible and to do as many interesting B roads.
Max

esdebe

Can we also have some idea of Distances we will be covering on each day.  Routes  sound good though. but at the moment it would take me 2 days just to get to the starting point... 

According to google maps, and without making the route More interesting, a route up there from Towcester will take over 6 hours avoiding the motorways in a normal car, so in the buggy that will be too much for one day.

I would end up looking to do that over two days meet with the nothern crew for 1 nights camping, then start heading back down south again....

jason_l

Long ol route for me but im not complaining ;D Second the buggy is built i will happily drive it up to meet you lot. Should be ok at speed hopefully so may do a bit of motorway driving as well, should cope with it i guess ???

Mini Mad Max

My newest version of the route, which my brother agrees is better than the first one, comes to 106 miles. It estimates 3 hours 29 minutes, although we will be longer if we sight see and have a few goes on a couple of the passes.
The number of passes comes to a total of 5.
I've done the route, but when i copy the Html, and open it in another tab it stays as google maps, how do i get it so it's a link to my map?
Then i'll post it for all you to see.
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
In the top left corner of the map it says 'link' then copy the output.

Edit:- NO YOU FOOL the other left, I of course meant right  ;D

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Looks awesome max how old are you again?

you will be going mad not being able to legally drive you buggy on the roads....lol

Danny

jason_l

holy crap :eek: Going to be a long ol drive for me, should be great though!!!!!

going to need at least 2 days either side of the journey me thinks.

Jason :p