Robs freestyle project Discussion Thread

Danny

Administrator
I will have a look tomorrow and see 9f there are any numbers on my dizzy and see if it matches up with yours :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Just been & looked Rob & it appears I've thrown everything, nothing A series related left

Mini Mad Max

Great to see it's looking so good and back on the road! As for the overheating, the A-series plumbing can be a bit of a headache. Mine is plumbed as simply as possible with a thermostat blanking sleeve so it runs as if the stat is constantly open. The best modification to end all overheating issues is a front mounted radiator. It's a tried and tested method by Alan on the "gay-series", before Mr Bumble under-went his op to K-series :p

robcoles

I removed stat tonight just to see what happened.
If it solved issues I would get the bypass sleeve , only drove a couple of miles & temp up to 3/4
So I parked it back in garage. Don't really know what to do next.

Mini Mad Max

Running the engine without the stat can be worse than running it with one, because the lack of restriction causes a big pressure drop, which causes cavitation. So it might not solve the issues until you add the bypass sleeve. Also, there is barely any air flow around the engine so air scoops, ducting and auxiliary fans will always help :) I see you say that you already have an additional radiator and fan though. Could you post close up pictures of the engine bay so we can understand your current set up?

Lilspeed

Sorry to see you're still having problems Rob. You've probably guessed that most Freestyle owners spend a good amount of time battling cooling issues!
I think you're probably going to suffer more than most having a turbo motor. Remember that these had a nice big front mounted rad when they were at home in the Metro.
If I was you I would definitely look into a fan upgrade for a start. Mine runs a chopped down steel bladed Morris Minor one. It certainly shifts some air, but I still had to fit a big alloy rad and an expansion tank to get the cooling reasonably under control. It'll still get hot under load on a warm day.
Another thing to bear in mind is that a freshly rebuilt engine like yours will always run hot for a few miles until everything beds in.
Hope you get it sorted and start having some fun soon! :)

robcoles

I've been thinking about this idea

What are your opinions on putting a rad here ?
I have some concerns about boiling water at head level

Phaeton

Staff member
I personally wouldn't go with it, for the reasons you have stated, the thought of having boiling water above yours & your passengers head.

Not sure where the post is but pretty sure I documented the process with Mr Bumble when I had the A series still in. But basically the premise is, seal the radiator off so no pressure cap, put a radiator at the front under the aluminium nose cone, Danny has used a Fiat Cinquecento very successfully, add a heater matrix in the footwell somewhere, then add an expansion tank. My next step was going to be remove the mechanical pump & replace with an electric one.

Danny

Administrator
Yeah rad at the front works well... thanks alan for the complimentary :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

robcoles

Front rad sounds good but my estate has speed humps every couple of hundred yards.
Not sure in running pipes under the buggy.
If I was to mount a rad up behind seats any ideas what rad would fit in that space ?
I've looked on eBay but I can't find ind to fit.