Robs freestyle project Discussion Thread

robcoles

Front rad sounds good but my estate has speed humps every couple of hundred yards.
Not sure in running pipes under the buggy.
If I was to mount a rad up behind seats any ideas what rad would fit in that space ?
I've looked on eBay but I can't find ind to fit.

Danny

Administrator
air flow is what it is then :)

get an elleccy fan pushing air through and I think you will be fine :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Rob which way is your fan, does it pull through the radiator or push through the radiator? I've forgotten which is normal, but swapping to a Midget fan is a common upgrade & then have one of the Metro fans on the outside. Doh! just a thought Rob, you haven't put one of those Metro fans I sent on the outside & have the standard Mini on the inside, they will be fighting each other, I think

Danny

Administrator
mini fans as standard blow hot air off the engine and through teh radiator :) a midget fan will suck the cold air through the rad over the engine :)

midget fan is what you need :D

robcoles

The mini fan is blowing as Danny said :)
I havnt fitted the metro fan to other side as yet.
Is the midget fan electric? Can't find any on eBay.
I think best thing to do is buy a pre built k series lol

Mini Mad Max

Good to hear the engine temp might be behaving now. The real test will be to get it warm for a while and then stop so that the only air flow comes from the fans. Then you will be able to see if the cooling system can stand up to the heat soak issues you would get when you hit slow traffic.

Danny

Administrator
robcoles":5h0ocres said:
The mini fan is blowing as Danny said :)
I havnt fitted the metro fan to other side as yet.
Is the midget fan electric? Can't find any on eBay.
I think best thing to do is buy a pre built k series lol

midget fan replaces the mini fan :D

hahaha I may have one of them in a year :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Problem with the Mini & tbh most older type cars is the fact that when you really need the cooling, is at the end of a fast run when you are sat at the junction waiting to pull out is when the fan is running at it's slowest. This is probably when you need to have the electric fan available to give assist but even then you only have a small amount of flow because of the pump

Danny

Administrator
thats when my electric really came into its own... it could not cool the engine at high revs but the midget fan could and then the eleccy would cool it when in traffic

Phaeton

Staff member
This was one of the ways I attempted to cool Mary when I had her, twin pipes to direct cold air in

DSCF0006.jpg

robcoles

This will probably sound like a dumb question but I keep reading about fans being fitted the wrong way around.
Looking at my fans fitting point it has one side flat & one side countersunk , I've fitted countersunk side to waterpump pulley. I really can't imagine this to be incorrect but it's worth asking you guys incase I've made a stupid mistake lol

robcoles

This will probably sound like a dumb question but I keep reading about fans being fitted the wrong way around.
Looking at my fans fitting point it has one side flat & one side countersunk , I've fitted countersunk side to waterpump pulley. I really can't imagine this to be incorrect but it's worth asking you guys incase I've made a stupid mistake lol