Wales Buggy Run 1st - 4th August 2012

Phaeton

Staff member
Update,

On Simon's recommendation I've booked Snowdon Inn for the 2nd night £9 each they also do a breakfast as well as an evening meal.

Playing telephone tennis with Peter at Halfway House Inn for Friday night

Matt will you be heading home Friday or staying over?

Alan...

MattBlack

Alan

Looking at the route, I'll aim to tie up with you guys in Buxton if thats okay. I'll stay out on Wednesday and Thursday night, but will probably head for home on the Friday. I'll see how the weather is, how the buggy is running and how the tides are before i decide for sure.

Have you made reservations for everyone or do i need to do my own?

Matt

Phaeton

Staff member
Buxton is fine with me/us depending which way you come there is a Morrison's supermarket on the A6 by a roundabout https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.253 ... 74.97,,0,0 we can meet you there, whoever is first can get the coffee's in.

I've booked all the sites for everybody, paid deposit on 1st £4 (£4 each), fully paid for 2nd £36 (£9 each) & left CC details on 3rd (£8 each)

Colin,

Will you be joining us for the 2nd day?

Alan...

herman

That's the plan Alan.
However Sat eve broke front lower wishbone, so trying to get repair done before run.
I new it wasn't a great design when i got the buggy and have plans to change it during the winter to full mini suspension and not the home made arms that its got.
S0 I'll keep you posted on how I progress.

MattBlack

Great.... sounds like a plan.

Had a good run in Dibble at the weekend and she seems to be running well after a long while being idle.

Sometime over the next week if you give me an idea of what time you recon you'll be the Buxton area i can time my set off.

Cheers

Matt

esdebe

Hi Matt,

Just had to read your post twice as the fist time I thought you were talking about setting off sometime next week to make sure you could meet Alan in Buxton the following week.........

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
Simon, Steve, I've agreed with Matt to meet him in Buxton at 12:00 so shall we meet at 10:00 at the usual place?

Evening food is all sorted, 2nd & 3rd nights have breakfast available but no mention of 1st night, I'll be bringing stove & kettle for coffee, do we want a frying pan as well or shall we hunt out a breakfast place on the 2nd morning?

Alan...

esdebe

Gona go a hunting, gona go a hunting..

Gona catch me a bacon roll, still warm to the touch (well hot hopefully).

10 is fine with me.

I'm planning to travel light, want to fit everything in those boxes on the sides... So not bringing cooking stuff (will bring a couple of cups though if alan has a kettle....) Question is do I need to bring Jerry? CAN I manage without him...

Phaeton

Staff member
I'll bring Jerry with me anyway JIC, not sure on my range yet so it can be a communal one.

Alan...

MattBlack

Dont suppose anyone else has depressed themselves by looking at the forecast for North Wales for the next few days? :-\ :'(

Phaeton

Staff member
MattBlack":1jwhhj9o said:
Dont suppose anyone else has depressed themselves by looking at the forecast for North Wales for the next few days? :-\ :'(

I've been purposely avoiding it.

Alan...

Steve

Got Danny and Jane with us at the moment. So will leave here after they are safely on their way. Should still be there around 10ish
Steve

Steve

Well, just got back from this years Wales Buggy run (around 6pm). Great few days, good company, good roads, good sites, good beer (Except for one pint). Not too many car mis-haps (well nothing a few cable ties wouldn't put right). Will try a get some photos up later.
Alan, Simon, Matt, thanks for a great few days, already looking forward to next year. For all of you that are still working on getting a buggy finished, forget the shows as a dead line, make sure it is ready for a run out like this. After all this is what you are building it for, not for looking pretty in a locked up garage.
I am still amazed what type of reaction these cars get everywhere we go.
Steve

Steve

Just worked out the final days run. We started in Bridgnorth, just 36miles from my home. I eventually arrived home some 150+miles later after visiting Matlock Bath, Donnington, etc, etc.
Nice to drive just for fun.

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice one Steve, looks like I missed a good afternoon of driving, but echo your thoughts, on the good company, good roads, the pint was a bit rough wasn't it, maybe we need to miss out that pub/campsite next year.

I clocked 660 miles in total with only an exhaust rubber bobbin letting go so good result for me.

Alan...

esdebe

My final mileage came in at 760, and I got back just after 18:30 too so not a bad final leg although I think that last 2 hours was the wettest part of the whole trip..

Phaeton

Staff member
For the journey I had taken Simon's route plan from Google maps & via a program called Tyre I had created waypoints on my TomTom so as I was the only 1 to admit I had a satnav pre-programmed with all the days routes it fell to me to lead the journey.

On the 3rd day we were going down this narrow road & the satnav said to turn off to the left, when I got to the turning it wasn't a proper road but a gravel track, but just after was a sharp left turn so I thought the satnav had done it's usual & mixed a turning up with a sharp bend. So ignoring the junction I made the turn at which point the satnav started protesting & telling me to turn around, which after 100 yards we were able to do & approaching the junction again said we had to turn right.

This then turned into quite an adventure, I thought Simon had purposely seen this unmade road & it was a cut through to another road, it went deep into the forest, climbing all the time through the trees & switchback corners on shale tracks. It eventually came out onto the moors in the middle of a wind farm, the satnav was telling us to press on so we did for about another 5-6 miles but then just as it appeared we were about to reach civilisation again it then made us turn back around & go all the way back, very weird experience. I've just been trying to find out where it was on Google maps but can't I can't I thought I might be able to see the wind farm on the satellite view, still don't know why the satnav made us turn either.

Not sure if this will work

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aUpWN8iPE&feature=vmdshb[/youtube]

Alan...