Welsh Road Trip

biddleboy

yep the link works steve and ime very gel us i should of jumped in with one of you guys looked like a great week end lol

Mini Mad Max

I've been to the Elan Valley with school before, when i was 10!!! thats a whole 4 years ago!
Hope you had a great time!
Max

Steve

Quick version.
Day 1
We all met up at J4 M42. Simon and Alan had already travelled down together from Tamworth. Apparently Alan was having problems with cutting out at junctions and Simon's Wheel arch had broken.
First stop from there was a B&Q to get some basic repair materials. Then off to the campsite for the evening.
Just about got the tents up as the rain started to fall.
Back in to the cars and around to Biddleboys for some emergency repairs.
With repairs done and Steve's son safely removed from the tree, it was back to the site.
Couple of beers later and some food to keep us going, it was off to bed.
Day 2
As we got up the rain was still pouring, see the picture of my seat (And that is with a cover on the car all night).
Simon was already up and sitting under the cover of his car and Alan was still in the land of nod.
After putting the tents away and Alan having a bit of a mishap with his. It was off to get some breakfast  and see if we could get a new tent for Alan and some new shoes for Simon (Don't ask).
Then it was time to make tracks up to the hills. As we went over the Clee hills we could hardly see a thing due to the mist and rain (just like real thick fog).

Steve

As soon as we crossed in to Wales the skies started to clear and the views got better. 
That was after one minor stop on a hill due to a fuel starvation problem.
A few photos taken by the dam and it was off again. At one stop Alan said "does my exhaust sound loud" when confirmed he said he would have a look at the next dam. 20 feet later his exhaust had dropped off the car, I went off to let Simon know why there was no one behind him. Next thing you know Alan comes screaming past doing an impression of Danny but not quite as loud.
Roadside repairs of bending new brackets soon got Alan back on the road. Then it was a clear run off to the coast.
Some great roads, lots of bends, no traffic, great views, etc,etc.
Couple of photo's on the beach and a couple of doughnuts later (spinning cars type not sugar type) it was off to the camp site.
Arrived around 7.30pm, tents up, down to the pub for food.
There was a lot of interest in the cars from the locals, (who seem to have had 1 or 2 beers before we got there).
to be continued.......

Steve

Day 3
Alan was up nice and early due to reading the time wrong,( I think about 6am). By the way he cooks a mean bacon sandwich.
Plan for today, head home (approx 106 miles to the point where we go our separate ways).
We did the first 50+ miles and then passed a sign post showing that we were only 9 miles from the camp site we had just left. (Give that to a maths teacher to work out).
Over all a good journey back with the only issues being, Simon's car kept blowing fuses and Alan getting a noise that could not be identified (Don't know if he has now).
I would suggest any one building a buggy to get a larger fuel tank than I have. I only have half the capacity of the other two, which meant stopping for fuel stops more often. (And the way Simon goes, I don't think we went passed a petrol station for over 100 miles).
When we got to our final destination Alan could not resist parking his car half way up a slope then crawling under it. On the photo it looks like Alan and Simon are playing hide and seek.
Then we all went our separate ways.

I have not done the trip justice on this write up. I hope the guys will give there take on the trip. I thought it was great fun and would suggest that we do it again.

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve has pretty much nailed it, I'm sure you all don't want the flowery version I stopped taking photo's as Steve is much more the artist than me but here are the ones I took. The last one is the state of one of the plugs I've just taken out which could go some way towards my running issues.

All I can add is to repeat myself to say how great it was, wish there had been a few more with us, got to do it again, do a bit more preparation on the buggy this time. On saying that my problems were nothing major just annoying, apart from the exhaust coming off which was due to metal fatigue.

Possibly an extra or a couple of extra days with more mileage.

Max, but we'll have to wait 8 years before you can insurance on it, can't wait that long, need to do it again next year, you'll have to find a chauffeur, different location is doable, but will depend on who's getting involved. We did think about the lake district but the problem with that is it's most of a day to get there & most of a day to get back, but it's in the mix for next time, OH YES there will be a next time, in fact check the Calendar.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

I was only thinking of being chauffured, I have 4 more years before i can take my test :'(
I've seen a buggy on ebay before where the owner was 18 and could get insured on it for £500, so hopefully if i do pass plus and everything i should hopefully get insured before i'm 22.
What about south yorkshire as a destination?
Although i do know a few good roads around here, but another time. We want fun and practicality ;D
Max

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":3e3nz2ct said:
I was only thinking of being chauffured, I have 4 more years before i can take my test :'(
I've seen a buggy on ebay before where the owner was 18 and could get insured on it for £500, so hopefully if i do pass plus and everything i should hopefully get insured before i'm 22.
What about south yorkshire as a destination?
Although i do know a few good roads around here, but another time. We want fun and practicality ;D
Max

Can be my wing man if ya want Max?  :D

The pictures you guys took look awsome and it lookd like you had such a good time!

Im well upset that i missed this but as my buggy isn't built then not much i could do. Im well up for the next one though and if its on the road then i WILL be there!

Jason  :p