Ben's Blitz 2 Buggy Build Discussion Thread

Mini Mad Max

There's not much to refurbishing mini parts :) Just clean and de-rust everything as thoroughly as possible then ad a nice thick coat of hammerite or some paint similar. Also when buying parts for refurbing bits and bobs, the supplier i would recommend would be minispares. Top quality service and quality parts. Never had a problem with them! Only other thing i would say is if you get stuck doing some parts, just take pictures and ask us on here :) Have fun!!
Max

vexedben

I tried to fit the subframe into the chassis today with a set of solid mounts and can't get it all to line up, does anyone know of any tips or things to do to get it to fit?

Mini Mad Max

I dunno about Blitzs really, but the Freestyles don't require any mounts, It just bolts directly to the frame, not spacers or mounts recquired. Could you fetch us some photos for a better look see?
Max

vexedben

Max that's brilliant, seems that the only mount needed was the top mount of the pair that the tower bolt uses. Seems it makes sense to bolt direct on the rest.

Thanks

Ben

vexedben

So I had a thought about upgrading to. 1275 but seeing as though my budget is not huge I'm going to stick with the 998 and get it through the IVA with that I think. Think it should be ok, especially as the buggy is much lighter than a mini. Just hope it doesn't rev its brains out at 60mph otherwise a 1275 might be a good idea. Or look to do an R1 conversion in the future. We shall see.

vexedben

Well I've decided that for my engine I'm going with the 998 fast road tune. Going for a 12g295 head with a Kent 266 cam for the time being then look at other parts but for now I think that's about enough.

vexedben

Guys I really need you help. I really want to continue with my buggy, but circumstances at home have changed a lot. I will be on my placement next year and will need a car for travelling as I do not own one apart from my buggy. I really want to stick with my buggy but I have come across issues that I had not foreseen. I am over 6ft and struggling to fit in with seats fitted both in height and leg length and the pedal box where it is. To solve this it will take a lot of modification to move the pedal box forwards. If I sell up I can regain most if my money to buy a car but I really want to have a buggy/kit car. Maybe sell up and buy a more suitable and buggy that I can fit in properly. Any suggestion would be most welcome.

vexedben

I have managed to do it!! The mother will allow another car in the garage so looks like I've just got to get the buggy chassis off to my mates for the fabrication/storage then I can make way for the mgf :) so it's all systems go soon I hope.

Ben

vexedben

Just a quick ask for some advice really, whilst in waiting for the mgf delivery I've been looking at mounting the seats. The plan is to bolt on a 40x40 angle steel to the main chassis tube pictures below. I was planning on using 3 or 4 m12 bolts, to bolt it on to the chassis tube. Is this sensible or is m12 overkill and likely to weaken the chassis?

2aqa2uve.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
M12 does seem a bit excessive, but it will depend on the seats you are using, pretty sure mine only use M8

Alan...

vexedben

Ok I will go with m8 to bolt the angle steel to the chassis and then m8 for the runners to the angle steel if that seems a reasonable idea.

ChaosMS

vexedben, well if it was me I would weld some pre drilled mounting lugs onto the frame, two for each side of the seat then bolt the angle steel to the lugs using 10mm bolts, I seem to remember that somewhere in the IVA manual it states that fixings of sufficient strength should be used and carry correct markings i.e. High Tensile 8 8 (I used the same type and strength of bolts) i made my seat mountings out of rectangular section (i think it was something like 60 x 40 with a 3mm wall) then cut out the parts/areas I didnt need till I got this:-

build_diary318_web.jpg

Theses two seat mounts (which in this picture have not yet been drilled ontop to fit to the rails) lift the seat from the frame a good amount and then I mount the slide rails onto the top sections which are bolted to the seat like this picture which shows everything bolted together onto the seat and through the alloy floor onto the mounting rail which is welded to the chassis:-

build_diary320_web.jpg

I use the same principle when mounting the 6 point harness's I use - weld mounting lugs to the chassis however I use a holesaw to cut a larger hole in the alloy floor so that the harness eyelet mounts directly to the steel mounting lug on the chassis - this is what I mean:-
build_diary682_web.jpg

Well just my thoughts, I always prefer to weld to the chassis rather than piercing a chassis tube !!!

Rich

vexedben

Thanks rich for your detailed reply. To me that's something that really would like to do but I lack the facilities to do anything like that. (Haven't really got the tools) the main reason I was using bolts for the angle steel was because I am unable to weld (cant afford the investment if a mig welder) any cheaper alternatives? and can't get the chassis anywhere to have it welded. :/ I'm just concerned that it is drilling through the chassis tube like you said and that it may weaken the structure. Any advice is really welcome.

Ben

ChaosMS

Ben,

Ahhhhh.... well that's going to be a problem then, welding without any welding kit!! - what you need is a friendly neighbor who has one!!

As for drilling holes in the main frame I dont like doing that for two reasons - It can weaken it and its a sure fire way of getting moisture into the tubes

But thats just me ;D

Rich

vexedben

That makes an awful lot of sense. I do wish I knew how to weld and had the equipment to do it. To counter the moisture I was going to use rubber washers to help stop the moisture issue. But I am still dubious about bolting it.

Ben

Steves2580

Is there no way of clamping them around the chassis??
Like scaffolding clamps??

Just an idea, save drilling and the rubber washers are poop, as they will perish!

Steve.

vexedben

That's always an option. I know this may be a daft question, but should I invest in a welder. I know everyone uses a mig welder however I don't have the money for one and was looking at arc welding instead as they are cheaper? Any advice welcome. Are they suitable for what my needs?

Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD