ChaosMS's Ultralite Buggy Build Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

HANG ON SUNSHINE!! - I Admit I was painting little soldiers, It was my sons birthday today so I couldnt really just abandon him could I!!

Anyway I thought youd be to knackered from all that running to and from work yesterday, in all your dogy spandex gear!!!!

Now there's a thought that's going to take me ages to get out of my head - Spandex Steve!! ;D :eek: ;D

ROFLMAO!!

Steves2580

ChaosMS":1iy6aorb said:
HANG ON SUNSHINE!! - I Admit I was painting little soldiers, It was my sons birthday today so I couldnt really just abandon him could I!!

Anyway I thought youd be to knackered from all that running to and from work yesterday, in all your dogy spandex gear!!!!

Now there's a thought that's going to take me ages to get out of my head - Spandex Steve!! ;D :eek: ;D

ROFLMAO!!

You asked for the photos ;)
It takes a proper man to wear pink spandex :D

Though you said that Nathan was out at the cinema with his mate, I think you've been painting your own little soldier ::)
I was knackered, running 4 miles to work, on my feet teaching for 6 hours, then running home again :'(

Steve ;D

ChaosMS

Steve,

You must be mad in this temperature you'll end up with spandex frozen to your bit and bobs!!!!! - and no amount of blowtorch and wd40 will get that off!!!

ha ha ha.......

Rich

ChaosMS

LOL ;D - Now there's an image its going to take a lot of alcohol to get rid of! - And with the amount I drink that could take years !! ;D ;D ;D

Mini Mad Max

Bahahaha! You two are a right pair! Stop all this chit chat and get back to building the buggy Rich :p You should count yourself lucky to have a knight in shining spandex to help you. Especially one of Steve's calibre ;) Haha.
Max

Steves2580

Come on Slacker, you've had another weekend, where's the update??

Sorry I couldn't help this weekend, plumbing at home :(

P.S. Mary was out and about Saturday afternoon ;D

Steve ;D

ChaosMS

Steve,

No worries about the assist mate, did you get all the plumbing sorted?

I wasnt slacking today mate!! I got the rest of the mounting plates welded in and all the alloy panels on the passenger side shaped and fitted!! Looks the business now ;D I need to make the changes to the clutch mounting plate next then re-fit it so I can drive her again ;D then I want to crack on with the front suspension mods (new lower arms) and add the wheel arch mounting brackets to the upright carrier then I think we need another test run ;D ;D ;D

Rich

Danny

Administrator
Where do I get that paint from?

Can you mix it to make any colour also? I want/need orange :) I dont want to go down the route of powder coating :-S

ChaosMS

Hi Danny,

So far the only supplier in the UK I have found is http://www..frost.co.uk - I went to my local motor spares shop and ordered it from them, but when it arrived it was covered in Frost labels, so I would go direct :)

As for orange not sure if thats a colour they make, but as the paint and hardener are separate i dont see why you cannot mix them.

As for cost the large tin (A US Quart) is around £40 ish - sounds expensive for paint (it is) but its a fraction of the cost of a shabby powder coating let alone one done properly!! - and you can touch up this if you do manage to chip it!!

If you are thinking of giving it a try I would also get the POR15 Marine degreaser (Marine clean) its a concentrate i usually mix it 10 parts water 1 part degreaser

Take a look at this guys series of POR15 Hardnose tests too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBvt9kFVi4M

from what I read when I was looking for a topcoat for the buggy, you can spray this stuff HOWEVER - its LETHAL and you need full breathing gear to attempt it (its bad enough brushing it on!!!) so I stuck to brushing it on (you go through a lot of brushes and mixing cups as I have not found anything to clean it off brushes with as yet and after an hour its set ;D

Rich

Mini Mad Max

Sounds like an epoxide resin just with some pigment in, so no point in trying to wash brushes afterwards :p It sounds like good stuff, I could do with some stuff that is tougher than black hammerite for parts where I've had to grind off the powder coat. The hammerite chips off so easily.

Max

ChaosMS

Hi Max, yeah sounds about right, i painted one of the old lower arms with the stuff to test how tuff it was, once it had cured for approx 4 days I took a hammer to it and a screwdriver blade, i eventually managed to scratch it with a screwdriver blade but it polished out!!, standard tcut and a good wax brings it all back!! - As for the hammer the only time i got it to chip was when i hit it so hard it bent the tube, and even then the topcoat didnt peel off it pulled the undercoat straight off the metal underneath !!

Overall im very happy with the finish it dries to a real high gloss finish even in a cold garage!!

Rich

ChaosMS

Yeah that looks like a clear version of the hardnose colour paints - only thing i would say is make sure you de-grease really well!!

And paint in a really well ventilated area!! or youll be as bonkers as me :D

Danny

Administrator
wicked :)

So you thin normal orange paint would go over the basecoat ok and then get sealed in with the clear stuff?

Haha dont worry I will :D

ChaosMS

Hi Danny,

Yeah that sounds about right, i would always do a little test piece first just to make sure the top coat does not react with the colour paint, i will take some photos of the finished suspension which has now fully cured and post it on the site then you can get an idea on the kind of finish

Rich

Danny

Administrator
Marvellous

I spoke to the company and tgey seem fairly confident that it can be done.

I need an easy way to get powder coat off my chassis now as well..... any ideas?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

ChaosMS

Danny, Possibly dipping it, or blasting but will mean a total strip down, I dont know of any consumer chemical that will strip it to be honest, so to do a proper job of it then its acid dipping or blasting i think

Rich