ChaosMS's Ultralite Buggy Build Discussion Thread

Mini Mad Max

WOW! That's pretty amazing. Nearly everything has the swiss cheese effect too :) Looks properly smart, I'm always jealous of people with amazing fabricating skills!
Max

ChaosMS

Thanks Max much appreciated (have just replied to your comments in the welcome area too) - I had to go all Swiss cheese to try and keep the weight down (long story but initallyI was going to put the buggy through as a heavy quad - but at its last weigh in it was too close to its maximum weight so had to go the full IVA, still the buggy should weigh around 450-500 KG when finished) - but now its become a bit of a automatic procedure really  :D

As for the Fabrication skills, cheers - All self taught as Im an IT man by trade!, trust me you wouldnt have said that if you had seen some of the early efforts!!! ha LOL  ;D

Steves2580

Awesome buggy!

I'll invite myself round to have a proper look at the beast ;D

Keep up the great work!

Steve.

ChaosMS

BRUC3 - Cheers  ;D (what can I say but Thanks!!!)

Steve - Thanks for the comments - and yeah you should drop in and have a look at the machine in the flesh! fellow buggy builders always welcome  ;D

Buggybloke

I like it!.... very clever use of the good old tube bender!, it looks very professional indeed!
I look forwards to seeing it fully finished, and moving under its own power!

ChaosMS

Cheers Buggybloke! - I too cannot wait for the day when its running under its own power - I would say finished but I dont think it ever will be if you know what I mean  ;)

collie

Just spent the last few minutes admiring your work, I work in IT and my Dad has worked in the motor trade all his life, how come I don't have skills like that!?  ???
Nice looking buggy, looking forward to seeing the next stage of your progress.

Steves2580

Hi guys,
I've got to tell you all that this machine is totally amazing!!
I've been to see it this afternoon, I was taken back by it's stance (WOW!!)
Rich showed me the front suspension travel by picking the front end up by hand (very light buggy), with one front wheel up (on a rock or something) and the other still on the floor, there is an amazing 24" (600mm) between the bottom of each tyre to a level surface (OMG)!
The exhaust system is a fantastic fabrication of pipework, the manifold is pure artwork!!

Can't wait for both our machines to be on the road, then there will be trouble round our little town ;D ;D

Keep up the great work Rich!

Steve.

ChaosMS

Steve,

Excellent to meet you mate, I'm glad you liked the buggy, Many thanks for the kind words - Coming from a pro fabricator tis high praise indeed - Cheers!!

Its also good to know I'm not the only Buggy Head in our little town  ;D

Pop over whenever you like mate - I can usually be found in the garage , Ill put the kettle on next time (such a bad host)

Cheers

Rich

Phaeton

Staff member
collie":355tp80f said:
Just spent the last few minutes admiring your work, I work in IT and my Dad has worked in the motor trade all his life, how come I don't have skills like that!?  ???
Sorry for the thread hi-jack Rich but I would like to take this opportunity to answer Alex's (Collie's) question & Max I'm don't give a s**t about not being PC, Alex's you're a SLACKER

smiley-scared004.gif

Alan...

ChaosMS

No Worries Alan!

Anyway I just realised I have given you Duff information Steve! - bit embarassing this  :-[ - Although the suspension will handle the 24 inches of travel (front not rear) there are compnents which limit that movement for a road going vehicle, the main one being the degrees of freedom on the steering rack and bind point of the 16mm rose joints at the front (actually the rosejoints are pretty good and hardly limit the movement) So a more realistic figure for travel is something like 16 inches approx (I'll measure it one day and tell you correctly!)

So sorry about that - design characteristics v real world I suppose! (Just got a bit carried away - Hides head in shame  :-[ )

Cheers

Rich

Steves2580

Not to worry!
I'm still very impressed by your build!
I'm having a long weekend, so I intend to crack on with May.
If you fancy a look at her give me a ring and we'll get it sorted!

Keep busy!

Steve.

ChaosMS

Steve,

Will do mate, I would love to see Mary this weekend! I will give you call on Friday to see what your up to!

Cheers

Rich

Steves2580

Nice work Rich, that air box and the induction system looks very smart!!

I've had a little time on mine today too!!

See you soon,

Steve.

ChaosMS

Cheers Steve, It was a lovely day today to be working on buggies wasnt it :)

Just had a look at your thread mate not seeing any new pics!!! - You forgot to take some again (Just like I do right at the end, when you think blimey thats was a difficult bit to make wish I'd taken some photos!!  ;D )

Cheers

Rich

Steves2580

Just done yesterdays work!

Now I'm off to bed, I'm knackered, was working on the buggy before 7 this morning!

Steve.