ChaosMS's Ultralite Buggy Build Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

Steve,

Always welcome mate! - I'll make sure I have a few beers in the fridge  ;D

Been working hard on the wiring which was a lot of  ??? ::) :'( had to order a lot of wire to move part of the harness forward to the dash area

oh and also designed the new dash so should be putting that together this weekend if all goes well!

Cheers

Rich

ChaosMS

Built the dashboard pod this weekend, it went really well and fitted first time without any tweaking!, very happy with it too - plent of space for the ECU / and other kit!

Phaeton

Staff member
Again superb fabrication skills, put's mine well into shame, only thing I would check is you don't catch the dash as you climb in & out, is there enough clearance for your feet?

Alan...

Steves2580

Looking wicked Rich!
I thought you'd be going with lighter material for your dash, saying that, you'll have more than enough power to move it quickly! Ha Ha!

Keep up the great work!

Steve.

ChaosMS

Thanks guys, Steve - I was thinking of going with Aluminium or fibreglass but in the end I decided that I could fab the steel pod up myself without waiting for someone else to weld it / form it for me so it might be a bit on the heavy side (tried to keep the sheet as thin as poss ) but I'm so happy with the finished product that I can live with it  ;D ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
Looking at the gear change mechanism, what was it before, rods? also is it 1 rod going into the gearbox or 2 that actually make the changes?

Alan...

ChaosMS

Alan,

It was a single rod change, very similar to a mini system actually, and it exited the rear of the vehicle so I needed to reverse the movement and bring it forward, I have quite a tight fit for the engine so it was an interesting conversion to a cable change system, but I am very happy with the results.

Cheers

Rich

Mini Mad Max

Loving the tank and guages... could you share with me the price of that fantastic fuel tank, as i really fancey getting an alloy one made to what is probably a similar size, but If it's a bit too many pennies, I may stick to steel hahaha. Were your drawings on CAD and if so what did you use... I have prodesktop, but i don't think anyone uses that now.
I really like the way your buggy is taking shape! :)
Max

ChaosMS

Max,

Thanks for the comments mate - no problems with the prices (hope your sat down here)
Tank built to my cad drawing (I use Solidworks) was £366 delivered
- which at first sight looks very expensive but I shopped around and this was the best option for a custom built tank (They also build all the rage buggy tanks), if you can use a standard design tank there are cheaper options starting from around £150 - but they will NOT be built like this one, its high grade 2mm alu wall, 6jc connectors, Competition foam filled, Fuel sumped - probably an overkill but its fantastic! almost a shame to cover it with firewalls!!

Link to ProAlloy - http://www.proalloy.co.uk/

The Gauges were a nightmare from the start, and in the end I was forced to go to ETB to get a matching set of gauges that would support a 3 Cylinder engine! - They have done a fantastic job really well made, but there are a lot cheaper options off the shelf, if your running a four pot!

ETB Website - http://www.etbinstruments.com/ETB_Range.htm

Cheers

Rich

Steves2580

Hey Rich,

WOW, the tank is very smart! Nice design, you'll only need the firewall for the IVA, then it can be removed to show off the mega structure ;D

The guages are very nice! They'll look wicked in your newly fabricated dash ;D

I just spent that kind of money and I'm now flat broke :(
No money left for tax, MOT or insurance, Gutted :(

Steve.

Mini Mad Max

Thanks for the details Rich, I might just cut and fold a load of alloy sheet and find someone who welds alloy :D If not, steel isn't too bad, but i'm just weary of weight :p