Engine date verification

nw208

Does anyone know of a web site that can verify the age of my engine from the engine number, I had a quick look at the heritage motor centre website, but they require £47 for the priviliege!

The engine is from a metro (998cc) 99HE67 131250

aNY IDEAS?

Mini Mad Max

Hi,
I don't know if there is a system like number plates where letters are dates or what ever. Technically if you rebuild the engine with different parts does that meen that its a different engine or does it just want to know the engine block's date?
I will have a search see what i can find.
Max

nw208

Max/Alan,

Thanks for the input, all I am trying to do is gain some documentation to prove to the sva man that a cat is not required. The buggy came with this motor attatched so i don't know its history.

Phaeton

Staff member
The easiest way to do this obviously is to have a V5C in your name with that engine number stated. I've just posted a post (strangely enough) over on the Mini Forum to see if there is an official body that can give you a letter to confirm age. We'll have to see if any of the children over there know the answer, it's after school & before Hollyoaks so we'll have to wait & see.

Alan...

nw208

Unfortunately, the engine came with the buggy, however the V5 that came with it is for a Rover mini, and bears no resemblence to the buggy or the engine, hence the dating query.

I am hoping if all else fails, my local scrapyard may provide an "invoice" with the neccessary details.   

Angel Boy

Ooo, I've just found out a little about my engine thanks to the link to the Guessworks website:

Source Vehicle :  Metro 
Engine type & CC :  A+ 1275 cc Transverse mounted 
Fueling :   
Engine features :  Pre-engaged starter
Wide Ratio Rod Change gearbox with Pot Joints
1985 Requirements
1988 Model year
Breakerless (electronic) ignition

Gearbox features :  Std. Ratio Rod Change gearbox with Pot Joints 
3.4:1 Final Drive 

Andy

Mini Mad Max

Mine doesn't say what date it is but it does say:

Source Vehicle :  MG Metro 
Engine type & CC :  A+ 1275 cc Transverse mounted 
Fueling :   
Engine features :  Lucas 16AC alternator with -ve Earth
Mechanical petrol pump

Gearbox features :  Std. Ratio Rod Change gearbox with Pot Joints 
3.44:1 final drive 

I know it's not an A+ and i can't confirm the actual engine number because its been reboured and the top been ground so it has no engine number, the engine number i have is just one off my DVLA V5c.
Do you have to know the date of the engine to pass SVA??
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":xnx64w09 said:
the engine number i have is just one off my DVLA V5c.

Max

If you have a V5C with that engine number on it you are home & dry that's all you need, the engine age is taken from the vehicle age under these circumstances.

Alan...

JAMIE B.

Two words ........"mini mail"

go to their web site and do a search for engine number

Plate and special screws cost £18

Legal issues.......I cant possibly comment  ;)

Asbo

dunno if it helps,but,my buggy doesn't have an engine number and the v5 states 'unknown'.

Mini Mad Max

JAMIE B.":1fuk5zy2 said:

I'll probs go the DIY route so i can keep my number plate. I found a cheaper place if anyone wants one:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENGINE-No-PLATE_W0QQitemZ140293004477QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43122QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
They are £4.40 and i think the skrews are £3.00.
Max

JAMIE B.

Mini Mad Max":hxn3ws5f said:
JAMIE B.":hxn3ws5f said:

I'll probs go the DIY route so i can keep my number plate. I found a cheaper place if anyone wants one:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ENGINE-No-PLATE_W0QQitemZ140293004477QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43122QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
They are £4.40 and i think the skrews are £3.00.
Max
They may be cheaper Max but with mini mail your getting the plate reverse stamped too !

Jamie