Engine date verification

Mini Mad Max

OOO ;D! I will have to buy one of thems, i am currently sorting out scrapping the shell, so i have all pictures and photocopies of my V5c and have kept my VIN plate. If i do take along a pic or a photocopy, will the Mr IVA refuse to except it as evidence?  Someone now wants the shell take fibreglas mouldings for grasstrack.
Ta kindly!
Max

Mini Mad Max

If the scrap guy comes, he takes the v5 and sends it to DVLA and i send part of it to DVLA too to declare the shell scrapped. How important is it to keep my V5? And how do i keep it without the scapman taking it?
Thanks alan,
Max 8)

Phaeton

Staff member
Scrappies round here don't take the V5C's with them, all they are bothered about is the metal. When you register your buggy that's the point when you hand the V5C over until then you keep it SORN.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

So does that mean that i may not have the car, but it still is in my name, sorn and waiting to be exchanged into my buggy?
Thanks alan, I just don't want it to go wrong and me ending up sorning it for the rest of my life :p I would like to do it though to keep the registration plates.
Max

collie

Mini Mad Max":1ty6k005 said:
So does that mean that i may not have the car, but it still is in my name, sorn and waiting to be exchanged into my buggy?
Thanks alan, I just don't want it to go wrong and me ending up sorning it for the rest of my life :p I would like to do it though to keep the registration plates.
Max
Max here's your problem, you can only put a plate on retention if you meet the following conditions:
  • You must be the Registered Keeper
  • The registration number should be transferable
    Some registration numbers may be marked as ‘non-transferable’.
  • The vehicle should be licensed
    The number plate you want to retain should be on a vehicle that is taxed. If the tax disc on the donor vehicle has expired, you may still be able to transfer the registration number without renewing the tax – if it expired less than 12 months ago, and was declared as SORN straightaway. If you applied for a tax refund, however, then you cannot retain the number plate.
  • The vehicle should be MOT’d
    If your vehicle does not have a current MOT, you may still be able to apply to retain the registration number (you will be asked to produce the last MOT certificate).
  • The donor vehicle should be ‘testable’
  • Q and NIQ registration numbers can not be retained.

I know all this because I wanted to retain my numberplates too but can't!

Mini Mad Max

Well i read all that on DVLA, but was told on here by someone, i think the wonderful alan :)D) it's probably in this thread or one in the SVA section, that all you need is your V5 and you hand it over and they just apply it to the buggy. Anyway, a man came today and bought the shell but it's still in my name, so he is just "borrowing it" so then i can do like alan said. I thought you only had to be able to prove that the engine and most of the bits come from the donor car (which nearly all do lol) and they will pass it off as the same registration. I did worry about not being able to retain the plates like you said alex, but I think it might be different for kit cars, because they keep the same stuff of the original car and retaining it like that is so people can keep a number plate to swap to a new car that they have bought or somethin ??? lol!
Please correct me if i am wrong!
Max
edit: By the way, it hasn't been MOT'd or Taxed for a loooong time

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":3ur43d86 said:
Well i read all that on DVLA, but was told on here by someone, i think the wonderful alan :)D) it's probably in this thread or one in the SVA section, that all you need is your V5 and you hand it over and they just apply it to the buggy.
Please correct me if i am wrong!
Max

Weren't me Max, I said you could get an age related plate but not the same one if you use the V5C to prove where your bits come from.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Oh i see! No worries about keeping the actual plate, i just don't want a Q plate, i would prefer it age related.
Max

esdebe

It's not just the proving of the age to get an Age related plate over a Q plate, but if you can't prove the age of the engine then you will also be subject to more stringent emissions tests and may need to have a Cat on it, and with a cat you also need a fuel filler hose restriction thingy on the fuel tank filler neck so as you can only put unleaded in it.

Mini Mad Max

Oh i see :-\ This whole registration milarky is an arse to get my head round! So I need the V5c to proove the age of my engine, but if i get an age related plate it means i have to have some more emmissions tests and have to do other wierd things. So what have other people done? Do i just go for a Q plate?
Max

Radar

99HE67            95 RON unleaded. 1.0 saloon 1989 does this match in any way shape or form for your engine ??