Engine Running Problems

Phaeton

Staff member
Beginning of the trip last week I was in the outside lane of a dual carriageway whilst overtaking a couple of lorries. I was doing around 65moh with a 'silly' person following very closely behind, without warning the buggy cut out & lost all power. I indicated left & looked over my left shoulder, the 2nd lorry must have realised what was happening & pulled back allowing me into he nearside lane, as luck would have it there was a lay-by so managed to pull straight off the road. Took the covers off & messed about with a lot of things & eventually got it started but not really sure how.

Got about 2 miles & it cut out again, this time I managed to get up a slip road & off the dual carriageway. Again had a play with many things & again it started, this time I got all the way to Tamworth with no problems until I got into the services car park. Left it a while & it started again, managed to get all the way to Bewdly with it only cutting out at junctions.

Saturday it ran alright for the first 30 miles & I was just thinking it must have been a bit of dirt in the carb when going up a hill it did it again, total loss of power. Steve reversed to me & Simon turned round & came back. After much pulling & prodding they both thought it was fuel related, we altered the position of the fuel filter & it started again still with the cutting out at junctions. I learnt to live with it & drove round the problem mostly & when I couldn't had to restart.

Over the last week between the rain showers at night I've put some extra engine steadies, well to be truthful I've actually put some on there was only one & the engine was moving all over. It has made a huge difference it's like driving a different buggy yet again, but sorry I digress.

Took the buggy out for a trash to try the steadies, did about 10 miles & was on the way back, it was 'spirited' to say the least when suddenly it cut out. Pulled the fuel line off the carb & there was very little fuel coming out as I cranked the engine, anyway after several cut outs I eventually got home, driving very slowly.

I changed the fuel pump I had a brand new spare (Thanks Hmalan) but this doesn't seem to make any difference it still doesn't want to run properly not taken it for an actual run but if you blip the throttle it kills the engine & smoke comes out of the air filter.

Any ideas.

Alan...
p.s. Is it my imagination or does it sound like a diesel to start with.

Danny

Administrator
Hmmm alan,

I had a problem like that and it was because the tank couldnt breath. but if I stopped and waited a few minutes enough air would get sucked in to the tank I put a vented cap on and it helped but that was about it....it did cut out again so when I return I will be drilling a 1mm hole in the cap I think

Danny

PS might not help you but you never know

HolyCount

Danny":29cpzr7y said:
Hmmm alan,

I had a problem like that and it was because the tank couldnt breath. but if I stopped and waited a few minutes enough air would get sucked in to the tank I put a vented cap on and it helped but that was about it....it did cut out again so when I return I will be drilling a 1mm hole in the cap I think

Danny

PS might not help you but you never know

This was my first thought -- but the smoking is a bit of a mystery.

iank

I'd pull the carb apart, sounds like it might be crap in the float bowl or a sticking float (easy check on an HS carb, but that's an HIF I think - not messed with one of those).
I assume you've checked the oil in the dashpot.

ben waine

you could try and pull off the distributor cap, i hd a similar problem if you look at the bottom of the distriboutor there shoul be a bit of plastic mine is red and see if it is worn or if it has melted if so you need to find a curcuit breaker for you mini engine, hope this helps

ben

esdebe

I'd say it is likely to be the float chamber, I had a problem on an SU with the needle sticking causing it to starve, AA man came out got me going...  about 200 yards then stoped again. He followed me and we got going 3 or 4 times (I'm sure Danny remembers) had a needle stuck...

I'd check the compression on the cylinders too as the smoke is white which indicates water.....  head gasket issue.....

That said I did read that you can get smoke if the chamber floods so again if the needle is sticking it may be sticking in both directions resulting in starvation and then flooding.....  I'd say it is worth a check

Simon

Danny

Administrator
Hmmmm lol it must have been your turn to break down at that show then....lol

Simon if you ever pass my house can you drop in and start my buggy... my bro in law is obviously keeping his distance at present and my dad wont know how to start it because I disconect the white wire from the coil....lol also try and get oil pressure before it fires...lol

If not dont worry just hope it wont do it any harm being parked up for the year.

Alan sorry to still your post

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
Just an update although nothing has changed really, although now when I pull the fuel line off the carb fuel spurts all over so it is there under pressure. Checked the valve clearance in case a valve was stuck, but can't see anything & they were within tolerance. Checked my vents in the tank, no problems it's venting okay. Actually spoke to Danny about when he had problems & he suggested the air filter (forgot it was after midnight there), but I thought no as it's fairly new, but I thought I'd try anything. So took air filter off & put a tea towel over with a tie wrap so no big bits could get in. Took it down the road & it was horrendous, coughing, spluttering & wouldn't pull at all, managed to get it back & took it off & took it for another run. OMG it was flying I thought I'd found the problem, screamed it for about 5 miles up to 5.2k revs & a little over the limit on my private test track. But alas as I pulled onto the drive it ran on & cut out with a cloud of smoke. One thing I have found is that the exhaust manifold is leaking between 2 & 3 you can actually feel the exhaust coming out, don't know if this is affecting in the inlets as well but ordered a new one tonight off Fleecebay. Only after I bought ti did it say they are at IMM & not back till Tuesday ARRRGH.

This is really starting to get annoying.

Alan...

Radar

ht leads alan ? sometimes if they are breaking down it shows when they get hot and can have the same effect as fuel starvation ..check your plugs too for condition and whether or not they are burning the fuel efficiently (ref smoking) if all ok that eliminates the ignition side of things ...

failing that gotta be fuel system carb and or fuel lines filter as everyone else has suggested
Radar

Phaeton

Staff member
It's had new plugs, new cap & rotor arm, fitted them yesterday, on the ignition side, the coil is getting so hot it's uncomfortable to keep your hand on it, it is possible but as I say it is very warm

Alan...

Radar

If you have changed all the leads Alan and rotor arm and cap the coil is a real possibility running hot is very "subjective " they do run warm to hot in lots of cases perfectly fine have you got a spare coil you can try  ?
If so that totally eliminates ignition and combustion so its back to fuel although you have checked a lot of that out . Is the mixture screw still insitu ? and how does adjusting it while running affect the tickover of the engine that can be a good indicator of whether your fuel is going thru the carb effectively = all ok up to the carb need to check the next part !

Also assume you have checked your timing ..

What carb have you got on there ?  and your problems mostly occur when she is warm and has been run for a while hot running ? is that right ?

This is frustrating me too Alan ....Grrrrrrrr

Phaeton

Staff member
Not changed the leads yet, just plugs, cap & rotor arm. May have a spare coil, not the right one, but 12v all the same.

The carb is a HIF44, had the top off & given it a good clean, had the float chamber off & blasted it out with an air line. There are a couple for sale on Fleecebay so may bid on them & swap the carb over, which is a bit of a shame as I've had it set up, but needs must.

Alan...

Radar

definately look at your leads especially the HT lead from the coil as u seem to think the coil is running hot , look at swapping them out or trying anothers lead maybe borrow a set from someone. These old su carbs are solid not muct to go wrong really so b4 buying another off fleecebay revisit your leads HT lead may be the source of poor running or distribution ?.

Radar

Angel Boy

Alan,
Are you running pointless ignition or one with points?  If you are running points have you checked the gap as I have had similar symptoms to what you are experiencing in the past.  It definately sounds electricary based on what you have checked so far.  Is the vacuum advance sticking on the dizzy?

Andy

Mini Mad Max

If it ticks over ok then you pull away and it stalls, then it sounds like the fuel mixture is too weak. The running on sounds like dieselling too when the engine runs in reverse and sucks exhaust gas into the cumbustion chambers.
You know you said you had a leaky exhaust manifold, it might be the inlet manifold that is leaky, a bad gasket or not properly clamped on, that would cause the engine to do what it is doing.
Phil,
Max's Dad

Phaeton

Staff member
Cheers Phil, got a new gasket on order but didn't realise until after I bought it from Fleecebay they were at IMM until today, so hopefully they will send it tomorrow. Don't think it can actually  be running in reverse though as I can still be moving forward in gear when all this is going on.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Hmmm a leaky exhaust gasket could cause all sorts of  problems, I have read however that you have upgraded your engine mounts....

I am strong beleiver that an engine should not move I little vibration is ok but movement I think causes a lot more problems than a rigid engine.

I was blowing gaskets on my first engine and made up some brakets and stopped all the moving.

also with the ignition does anybody else use Magnetronic?

Good luck alan

Danny

PS sat on a bench writing staring at the sea in the sunshine....lol

Phaeton

Staff member
That's it I'd had enough, who's got £3.50 2 Ferrets & a June 1978 copy of Playboy, because if you have come get this piece of S***.

I bought a 2nd hand carb & a full rebuild kit, new exhaust gasket put it all on & the fudgin thing still has the same problem.

I give up going to ring the the RR guy Monday & see if he can sort it out.

To make matters worse touched the N/S wheel arch & the dam thing fell off in my hand.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I hate Freestyles..............

Right feel a bit better, but still nto happy.

Alan...

biddleboy

dont give up its proberly one of those stupid things you dont think of well i hope you get it sorted for the next stonliegh show lol

HolyCount

Phaeton":21hbxetu said:
That's it I'd had enough, who's got £3.50 2 Ferrets & a June 1978 copy of Playboy, because if you have come get this piece of S***.

I bought a 2nd hand carb & a full rebuild kit, new exhaust gasket put it all on & the fudgin thing still has the same problem.

I give up going to ring the the RR guy Monday & see if he can sort it out.

To make matters worse touched the N/S wheel arch & the dam thing fell off in my hand.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I hate Freestyles..............

Right feel a bit better, but still nto happy.

Alan...

Ooooh .. tempting, but I only have one ferret and the Playboy is sticky  ::)