Legal Buggy ?

purdycat

Hi

I have just bought a Blitz2 Buggy that seems to have been on the road under its donar car.

Is it alright to just carry on or should I obtain a IVA

Purdy

HolyCount

Hi -- not off ebay was it ?  Just one on there with a dodgy pedigree.

Anyway --- if it has it's donor's reg the chances are that it will be reported to VOSA when you take it for MOT (They are clamping down on this). Thereafter you will need to get it IVA'd before it is road legal.

Phaeton

Staff member
It depends if you want to be 100% legal, if you do then yes you should take it for an IVA, hope you budgeted £700-£900 on to of the buy price for this. Another issue is if you ever have an accident, theoretically your insurance could be void & we all know how if there is any excuse insurance companies will use them.

The main concern you may have is it could all be taken out of your hands, if may depend if you have a friendly MOT man. They have a box on the MOT form that they can put radically altered chassis. They don't have to say anything to you & the next thing you know is you receive a letter from VOSA asking for you to bring the car in for inspection. Yet another scenario is your driving down the road, Mr Policeman Badger comes up behind you & his ANPR flashes up there's a 1983 Mini in front of him, he doesn't know what it is but they Blitz certainly doesn't look like a Mini & you may be worth a tug.

But having said all that, you may be able to drive anywhere you want for as many years as you want & nothing happen to you at all. There are many many Mini's out there that have bee modded beyond what VOSA deem acceptable. There are many many more Mini's out there that have been rung, they have shell's from the 90's running round on pre 1973 historic taxation. The car world is full of these things, every make of car involoved.

I think the biggest issue is you will never know, there will always be that nagging doubt that possibly something may happen. But I suspect you knew all this before you bought it, I personally would have walked away, but that's just me & I'm not condemning you for not, just I know that if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Alan...

purdycat

Hi

Yes I can understand all that and the long term plan was for a IVA.
But if this buggy has been on the road before SVA and IVA then it should be able to continue now ?

With regards to insurance it is a converted Mini/Blitz you cannot mess around with that.
Mini Parts Front steering Rear Subframe Engine Transmission so it should have enough points

Regards

Purdy

Phaeton

Staff member
Purdy,

Not sure what you're wanting to hear, I've explained the situation, you already knew the situation, it appears you went in with your eyes open.

I believe for all intense & purposes it is illegal for you to drive the buggy on the road as the V5C does not reflect what the vehicle is.

Let me ask you a question. Somebody offers you a Ford Focus, they then tell you that they bought 2 Foci the first was a 1.3L the other a 2.0L Supercharged dogs bollocks which was accident damaged. They then took all the parts off the 2.0 & put them on the 1.3 including the reg & vin plates. They are then selling the 1.3 as the 2.0, would you buy this & run round in it, if the answer is no, then surely the answer to your Blitz issue is no.

I'm not sure you grasped the insurance bit though, you may insure it as a Blitz but in the event of an accident, they may use the fact that it's still registered as a Mini not to pay out, there is possibly more of a risk if you actually get hit rather than doing the hitting.

I would hazard a guess you could probably run around as it is for many many years without being bothered by anyone, but as stated before there will always be that risk

Just remember these are just my views, because of that it doesn't make them right, you have to do what you feel is right.

You may get more 'robust' answers from other members, don't take it too personal if you do.

Alan...

BRUC3

I would deffo get it SVA'd, purely for the insurance reason!

If you knocked someone down, surely you would be leaving yourself open to get sued for thousands in personal injury claims?

purdycat

Hi

So how do I get a second hand Buggy through IVA.
I do not have receipts for each individual item
And I do not have photos of the build ?

Pete

Phaeton

Staff member
My thoughts are to ring the chickens at Swansea & explain that you have bought a kit car & when the V5C has been returned the make & model stated are the donor car & not the actual kit & can they explain who you go about getting these changed. See what they say, you 'may' get a reply that sending the V5C back with a covering letter will be enough.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
As alan said maybe trying to get the V5 changed is an easier way... that would be interesting to see if it works :)

Danny

purdycat

Hi

Right the continuing saga I now have to fill a form in saying where each item came from i.e. donor vehicle – easy part.
And supply proof that the Blitz kit was bought new preferably a receipt, this might be a bit more difficult.
???

Phaeton

Staff member
Is there a manufacturers chassis number? If so contact them, they maybe able to provide a copy of the invoice.

Alan...

jason_l

As Aalan says, contact the kit supplier.

I actually phoned ABS a year back to see if they had any details of my Freestyle kit. I didn't even have a chassis number, just the place i bought it from and the fact its red in colour. They where able to provide me with all the info i needed  ;D

Jason :D

joncarter

hi i have one as well 1962 tax exempt mini freestyler probaby not legal? haw the hell are you supposed to know? any sugestions..
the mini parts have all been taken from the doner car and surley its just a re-shell 

joncarter

hi just been reading all the coments on iva , do i need original chasis number welded to my freestyler car or do i just need the chasis number stamped on it by hand? help. the more i read the more i am confused,,,,
and the kit is no longer made and i cant find any manufacturers numbers on my freestyler,shell,

Phaeton

Staff member
Hello Jon & welcome to the forum, the first thing to start with is the V5C, what does it say on there as to the Manufacturer Make & Model?

Alan...

joncarter

hi it says Morris mini 1275 .
i went to local mot centre and explained that i had a car it had been re shelled and showed mot bloke the  picks he said as long as v5c and chassis number that they all match up it is OK ,ie Eng number chassis Vin plate colour . v5c it has hardly any other details like number of seats weight 1963 reg,
surley if he thinks its OK it should be OK

joncarter

hi all, i am new at all this as you can probably gather i just wanted somthing to tinker with at weekends when wife was doing my head in about diy , so i purchased the freestyler in a complete mess and have just been cleaning it up as and when i have time to do it. even put it up for sale on ebay twice when i had a pissy fit naw i am geting into it i find its not as easy as i first thort legally help...
does the v5c have to say mini freestyler on it or somthing elce?
the vin plate is the same and the colour just the eng has been changed for 1000cc 1275 as it was nackered