Legal Buggy ?

Lilspeed

Hi Jon,

I bought a part built Freestyle last year and have been looking into the registration/IVA thing for a while.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... /DG_191068

So from what I can see, legally the only way to put a newly built Freestyle on the road at the present time is by putting it through IVA, because the points system for keeping the original log book only applies where the original unmodified chassis is used.

I don't know is how long this system has been in effect. What I'm saying is, if there was a time when using a different chassis on the donor log book was pukka, and you could prove that yours was built back then, you would possibly be ok. Can anyone else advise on this?

By the way I see you're just up the road in Yeovil! I live in Crewkerne.

HolyCount

Hi Jon. These days the only way you will keep the original donor's identity is to use the unmodified chassis. Framework can be bolted to it -- but not welded, but it cannot be changed in any other way ( a lot of beach buggy's are falling foul now because the majority of them are SWB and the chassis has lost 18" (so, been modified) ).

The problem with anything mini based is that there is no chassis, being a monocoque design. As far as I know the points system still applies to vehicles using the unmodified chassis (so you have enough of the original vehicle to retain it's identity), but cannot be applied to a Freestyle, which will have to go through an IVA.

Regarding frame numbers -- it has to be a unique 17 digit number, which VOSA can supply, or you can make one up yourself. Mine was a combination of date I bought the frame (second hand so manufacture date was impossible to find), the engine size and TA for Taunton, filled in the zero's to pad it out to 17 digits.

purdycat

Hi

The DVLA have had all the info and now asked that I fill in an application for a IVA.
That will be intresting as I donot have any of the origional receipts or build phots.

Will let you know.

Phaeton

Staff member
All the dealings I have had with VOSA have always been more sensible than any with DVLA, they appear to understand the issues & are allowed to make decisions rather than just reading an answer that may or may not be appropriate from a cribsheet.

I would start by emailing them & inform that of the issue, that you bought the vehicle complete, it has been on the road for many years but you are trying to get the details changed & what information will they require.

Alan...

purdycat

Blitz2 DEAD

Last instalment. Just had a call from VOSA asked for details of the DVLA office handling my case and person.
Gave them the information and asked if everything was OK and does he need any further information, no but I will need a IVA.
Would the vehicle pass an IVA with no paper work NO
So how can I get a IVA that’s your problem.
Why did you want the DVLA information then
So I can tell them that no car can just have a Registration without a IVA
DICK HEAD.

Danny

Administrator
the dvla are thick... they told me that building a kit car was illegal... they thought it was a cut and shut....lol

Phaeton

Staff member
I think the conversation went like this?

purdycat":3iwuwcn9 said:
Vosa "Can I have the details of the DVLA office handling your case and person involved."

Purdycat "Here are the details, is everything ok?"

VOSA "Yes everything is fine, you will need an IVA"

Purdycat "As the vehicle was bought ready built & I have none of the build information will that be acceptable"

VOSA "NO!"

Purdycat "So if I don't have the original paperwork, how do I get it IVA'd"

VOSA "That's your problem"

PurdyCat "So why did you want all the DVLA information?"

VOSA "So I can tell the DVLA that no car can be registered without an IVA"

Alan...

purdycat

VOSA have said that my Blitz can not pass a IVA as it is not a new build
No Build History No Receipts etc.
But it has to have a IVA to be on the road.
So I will have to scrap the Blitz as it will never be able to be put on the road.
But what was really annoying was that the guy from VOSA asked for the details of the DVLA office so he could tell them off for trying to help me.

Baloo

purdycat":107fvw7z said:
VOSA have said that my Blitz can not pass a IVA as it is not a new build
No Build History No Receipts etc.
But it has to have a IVA to be on the road.
So I will have to scrap the Blitz as it will never be able to be put on the road.
But what was really annoying was that the guy from VOSA asked for the details of the DVLA office so he could tell them off for trying to help me.

can you not take the blitz apart and start again will a photo biuld up and just tell them you have biult a new one ?
must be plenty of people who have invoices for all the bits you need to buy
l just bought new suspension for my blitz and dont need the invoice :eek:

also when is new new ? l have a brand new blitz 2 frame here that has never been used or assembled, it maybe 10 years old but it is still unused so is that new ? if so l could sell you that and give you a recipt for it,
l bought 2 new kits from ncf blitz ( at least 10 years ago ) they might be able to supply the original invoices ??
dont give up just yet