My new Geep!

BRUC3

Bit of an update!

When i bought this car the general idea was to smarten it up, and turn it into something that looks a little less 'thrown' together and more professionally built...

The Geep itself it pretty untidy, so the current area im working on is the dash. This was the original, so was littered with holes and switches that have been added over the years, and now most of them are reduntant.

I originally wanted to move the clocks to behind the steering wheel, but after test fitting it was too difficult to see the dials, and would of sat just off centre of the wheel.... which would of drove me crazy!

So the next best thing I decided was to leave them where they are, but try to make them look a little less of an after thought!

This is the original finish of the dash which I am smoothing out...

IMG_1413.jpg

I next sanded the dash down with 120 which left me with this finish...

IMG_1415.jpg

I didn't sand the rough surface off completly as the original fibreglassing is quite un-even, and the more I sanded the more the dash lost its over all flatness...

Holes and clock fascia fibreglassed in...

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

And this is how the dash currently stands...

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

You can see where I have fibreglass out the step where the rough surface meets the smooth face. Im yet to blend the fascia in, but this will be done next time I can escape to the garage for a couple of hours!

Over all its coming along quite nicely, and hopefully it will look a touch more modern once its all sprayed up and fitted out!

Buggy boy

Hi the body is bolted to the ply floor, I had one and painted the floor with yacht varnish. The floor lasted well then replaced it with chequer plate, even done the sides with it. Well worth doing. Will try to find out pics.

edz27

hi if you need any advise on your geep let me know i currently own 3 ish,and yep wood of some sorts is standard from the factory and should be bolted down the length of the chassis rails,all-tho saying that when i stripped my first one the tub was only held in place by the rear roll bar mounts and seat belt anchorage point :eek: think i remember seeing your one at a couple of the shows on the joc stand cant think who owned it tho as red seems to be the colour of choice for most,
cheers edz

BRUC3

Hey Edz,

It was owned by a bloke called Andy before me. He got given it by an ex chairman of the JOC, got it running then sold it on!

Would love to see some picsof yours if ya got any?!

you on the JOC?

edz27

i remember who it was now did he live in Sheffield? yeah im a member of the joc have been for a while,had my first geep 20 odd years took 18 of them to get it back on the road,only had it on road a year and i sold engine and box in favour of a zetec install which ive nearly completed(hopefully)ill post some pics up soon,you may have seen it at shows,first one i just dragged the rolling chassis there :D
cheers edz

BRUC3

Ah right. How are you finding the Zetec conversion? Would love to update the engine, but think it would be a step too far for my skills!

It lived in Sheffield before, and didnt miss a beat the whole journey back dann safff'!

I dont go on the OC anymore, after finding a few of the members a little 'sensitive', but they all seem happy enough in their own little group lol Seems awfully cliquey?

Will go have a gander at ya pics, have yet to go to any kit car shows, but hopefully I'l be allowed on the Muddy buggies stand next year! lol

edz27

BRUC3":41yh4y08 said:
Ah right. How are you finding the Zetec conversion? Would love to update the engine, but think it would be a step too far for my skills!

its coming on a treat m8,hopefully should be running by weekend,
cheers

Phaeton

Staff member
BRUC3":1olwci74 said:
A have yet to go to any kit car shows, but hopefully I'l be allowed on the Muddy buggies stand next year! lol

Course you're welcome, for fudgesake we'll take anybody, even 3 wheelers :D

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Nice to see you're still getting on with something, it was a shame to see the freestyle go, but these Geeps don't look tooo bad :) I have an old CKCmagazine that had a geep with a merc engine in. It was bright yellow. Looked tidy!
Max

edz27

Mini Mad Max":eqstl55a said:
Nice to see you're still getting on with something, it was a shame to see the freestyle go, but these Geeps don't look tooo bad :) I have an old CKCmagazine that had a geep with a merc engine in. It was bright yellow. Looked tidy!
Max

yeah i know that one,it was nicknamed frankengeep was all merc running gear

IMGA0333.jpg

BRUC3

Well I managed to grab a couple more hours in the mancave today, so built up a few more layers on the dash.

I built up thin layers of filler to fill any discretions, and sanded the whole lot back with a block and paper.

The photo below is how it stands, and shows how much the centre part of the dash was sunk and uneven. Overall the fibreglass is probably about 2mm thick, and the filler about 0.5mm thick.

Another small step in the right direction!

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

BRUC3

Coming along nicely now!

564161_10150926658269498_599364497_12641928_566157311_n.jpg

Bit more sanding, then I can primer it up properly and get it sprayed up!

Still got to buy all the push switches, but I need a fair few!

Wipers
Headlights
Full beam
Sidelights
Reverse Light
Washer Jet
Horn
Hazards
And im sure theres more that I've forgotten about!

BRUC3

Still snatching the odd hour here and there to work on the dash!

So my high build primer turned up today, so the dash looked like this about 2.30...

557334_10150938878924498_599364497_12687370_914715586_n.jpg

After sanding it back with 600 grit wet and dry, and adding a couple of more layers I hit it with some satin black paint I had laying about...

550994_10150938881264498_599364497_12687385_975165623_n.jpg

After sanding it back, and filling it a touch more I then sprayed it with some dark metallic silver I again had laying about!

558181_10150938884259498_955632683_n.jpg

528625_10150938882789498_599364497_12687396_2006483922_n.jpg

I then added a couple of quick coats of laquer, and went about re-fitting the clocks...

I am yet to re-fit the dash fully as I still need to purchase some switches and decide where to fit them! I have losely fitted it back in place though, although Im not sold of the colour, so may sand it back down and spray it a different colour...

This can wait until I have fitted the switches though as Im bound to get some chips etc when I drill them!

So at the end of play tonight it looks like this...

541262_10150938888594498_599364497_12687423_1403283919_n.jpg

549765_10150938890464498_599364497_12687430_975269720_n.jpg

Now to decide on where to place the switches!

Coppertop

Hi there,

Geep is looking great. Not sure if this is the correct place to do this but I am not sure how to 'PM'? as I am not a frequent forum user.
Anyhow, I have a pair of Cobra seats similar to the ones that are currently in your Geep but are too wide for a Freestyle/Blitz. They are nearly the same but without the red stripes and in good condition. I don't have the subframes but the ones on yours should transfer over. You are quite welcome to them but the only problem is getting them to you. If you are interested then let me know and we may be able to sort something out, you could use the mysterious 'PM' method then I would know how to use it myself!

Cheers,

Steve.

Baloo

nice looking jago, is that a jago dashboard or something you have made, ? only l have a jago too and my dash is just a flat panel and dosent look half as good,

steve, to pm someone just click on there user name and it should put up a screen that halfway down says "contact member" click on that and you should be able to type a message and send it

Andy

BRUC3

Cheers for the replys chaps!

I have pm'd you Steve regarding the seats, so hopefully it should pop up!

And its a standard Jago dash Andy. Although the later Geeps had the dials behind the steering wheel. Mine is one of the early models, which has a slightly different bulkhead meaning I cant put the dials behind the steering wheel. Does yours have the extra 'tip' on the the front of the front wings?

BRUC3

So over the last few days I've been plugging away at the wiring.

So far I have bought some switches, and started to draw myself a nice wiring diagram to follow. I have absolutly no experience in wiring a car at all, and am really feeling out of my depth with this, but continue to research, draw a little more and look for more info on the web!

I've found a couple of good sites, but am still a little un-sure... but whats the worst that can happen eh?! ( I set fire to my car and burn my garage down...) :S

Will update with some pics when there is something worth taking a pic of!

Phaeton

Staff member
If you can take a picture of your diagram or scan then post it up as one or in pieces & we can go through it. If you don't want anything fancy & just legal then it's pretty straight forward, the hardest thing is to make it look neat.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
TBH if it's just lights & ignition it's fairly straight forward

Post left via Tapatalk glad it's not an Apple GayPhone