off road dumper tyres

boger123

hi just starting to build my buggy ive put my wheels on but it makes it look ugly does anybody now where i can get some off road dumper tyres and what size would be the best to use. and any ideas where the best place is to get a throtle cable from and also im running a 1275 engine any ideas on what carb would be the best to run on
  any info would be a good help here is some pictures so you can have a look my buggy so far thanks dave  ???
                            http://photobucket.com/dave_060

Baloo

Hi  Dave

its alwasys good to get some nice wheels and tyres on your project isent it, sort of gives you insperation and the desire to get on with it more,

dumper tyres most commonly come in 15.3 and 16 inch rim diam so you are already in trouble there, l bought some 16" dumper tyres to use on a suzuki sj from craddocks in cannock but they give so much grip you break diffs and half shafts like they are going out of fashion  ;D

besides your gearing will be way off with that big a wheel,  try looking at quad tyres these come in better sizes,
what size wheel rims are you using ?

12" diam is about as big as quad tyre go cheaply, plenty of choice in patten as well, have a look at

http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index. ... _1082_1129

still a bit pricey l know but there are always second hand sets turning up on ebay where the owner is moving over to road legal tyres and getting rid of there offroad patten tyres like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/atv-quad-tyres-25 ... 286.c0.m14

for a throttle cable maybe one of  a toyota mr2 would fit the bill, they certainly are long,
buggys looking good
Andy

Mini Mad Max

Hmmm very nice dave, but i'm very confused.
It's a different back end to all the other freestyles. I got quite puzzled when i saw it with a different shape. So did you start from scratch or buy a part build? It's the way that there are two buggies of the same shape but different colours. I presume you built one of two or one of one from scratch by the way you built it from the floor up. And also, I thought someone else bought steve's buggy. Nice work though.
For the 1275 engine you have, i would stick to an su carb. An hif44 would fit the bill well, they were on all 1.3 metro engines. I'm using hif44 on my engine, they're good flow for up to 100bhp.
Tyre wise i'll be going for some kingpin grasstrack tyres. Road legal and good for offroad.
I think somone on here recommended going to halfords and getting a tandem gear selector cable and that will work as throttle.
Hope that helps,
Max

boger123

hi max i did build the buggy from scratch the 2 you can see in the pic are the same buggy just trying out different coulors to see which one i like i copyed it of steves old buggy befor he sold it as i only live 2 doors away and i like the shape of them but the roll cage looked a bit flat on the back so i thought i would put a bit more shape into it hopefully by the end of the weekend i should have most of it. what size tyres are you useing as mines only for off road and i need some good ground clearence. dave

Mini Mad Max

Ah looks good, my advice for offroading would be to buy some 13" steel wheels and put some tyres of choice from here: Clicky
I advise you don't go for soft compound. For wheels, I'm using some mg midget rostyles that i got on ebay for £50 with tyres (that i'll use to shread on some tarmac when the buggy is built :D). If you go for some big wheels and big tyres like me, i advise you change your crownwheel and pinion to the 4.33 ratio. Makes it like a low range box. Then for more ground clearance, Try some Hi-lo's on the back and some adjustable coil overs on the front like steve is doing.
For extra traction try an Limited Slip Diff, or an Automatic Torque Biasing Diff, Or fiddle brakes. THe autotest freestyle had a great fiddle break set up which was in line with the hydraulic lines. 
Final thing a sump guard either fabricated by yourself or a bought one would be a good idea to stop your sump taking a bashing.
Hope that helps,
Max

esdebe

BE carefull with quad tyres, I was looking into these at one point but they wouldn't take the load,  a buggy weighs a lot more than a quad bike....  Even if it is still light......

Grass tyres are a better option or look on EBAY for snow tyres, Other countries in Europe make it a legal requirement to change to snow tyres in the winter and in such countries they are faily cheep.  so You should be able to pick up some 13" snow tyres for a reasonable price...  But shipping may cost a bit more....

Simon

iank

On the subject of carbs a HIF44 is the safe choice for a 1275
Accelerator cables, you can use a brake cable from a tandem bike.  Decent motorbike shops will sell control cable inner and outer by the metre along with whatever nipples (oooer) you need for the ends.
For mail order you can get the bits to DIY from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... lcable.php

Asbo

iank":1fexr8nr said:
Accelerator cables, you can use a brake cable from a tandem bike.  Decent motorbike shops will sell control cable inner and outer by the metre

or,alternatively,ask a nice man from the AA ::)

Buggybloke

I have Kingpin Mud and Snow tyres on mine, 185/70/13, on what I think are Weller Wheels, they look petty cool and chunky, and seem to offer loads of grip on the road too.....I'm in the process of fitting a 70,000miler 1275cc engine from my old open classic, which has a stage one kit on, but the original HIF38 carb, that was pretty quick, it used to show 115mph ;D on the clock
I have an HIF44, that I may try, which may just negate the need to change the final drive from standard 3.1:1 to 3.6/3.7, or even 4.0:1! for some real off-road fun, with these size tyres/wheels, and the 3.1:1 drive ratio, if I can get up to 8000rpm in top, it equates to 174mph!  :eek:....just need to find a long, private road! :-\ ;) ;D

My Accelerator cable,is a brake cable from a tandem bike.  Decent motorbike shops will sell control cable inner and outer by the metre, very cheap.....

How do I insert an image on here????

boger123

thanks for all the help Ive now got the throttle cable from the local motor bike shop it only cost £10 witch i thought was pretty cheep Ive also put all my brake pipes in so it nearly finshed just waiting for my new carb and starter to come and make some bumpers as for the tyres i think Ive made my mind up i think I'm going for some quad tyres.  will put some pics on some time this week and ill all so try and video my test day

hi andy  just wondered if you started yours yet as i was expecting to see some pics this week ;D 

Baloo

hi Dave
          l havent started the frame yet as l am unsure what l am doing for the front suspension, l was going the mini route with coil overs, but l went to see a man about some mgf bits yesterday and he had a front subframe for one out on the floor, l had a good look round it it and it looks to me like it might work in a buggy  :eek:
still pondering that one, lots of other bits look like they might be usefull as well like the behind the seats plastic fuel tank, the pedal box, electric power steering column etc etc
should start biulding next week with any luck 

Andy

Baloo

esdebe":22s1wo5t said:
boger123, be very careful using quad tyres they are not rated for the weight of the buggy.

Simon

gee's how heavy are these freestyles then ?  my 800 polaris  quad comes in a little over 600kg fully loaded never had a tyre go pop on me  :eek:
l find it difficult to belive quad manafactures fit tyres that cant cope with the weight of the bike ?

Andy

boger123

thanks for the advice about the tyres but like Andy said some of these quads are big and heavy i don't think there be any trouble with the weight of the free style i took mine around the waist ground at the back of my house and i warnt impressed with it every time i hit a pot hole the front end bottoms out and every time i rev it the gear selector wackes me in the leg ill have a little mess this week and see if i can sort it out can any body else tell me how they support there engine and do there buggy bottom out on the front end and whats the best exhaust to  uses bike or car heres a few updated pic of what my buggy looks like now just gotta fine some cheep quad tyres  as im running 15inch vectra wheels at the min

http://photobucket.com/dave_060

esdebe

you may need to add some gearbox steadies to it, one connects from the speedo housing end to the subframe (back of the car) and the other connects from the sump housing forwards to the subframe.  That should prevent the gear selector moving when you rev it..

I once had a problem with the steady bracket snapping and after that I couldn't get 2nd or 4th as the whole engine would rock when I changed gear....  This was also due to worn engine mounts...

Simon