R1 Freestyle frame .....

HolyCount

Hoping to have a peep for Steve tomorrow -- the seller is called Mike -- As Steve says, these are getting rarer nowadays.

biddleboy

thanks kev try and get as much info on it as poss let us no how you get on well i hope its all good as ime looking forward to that cup of tea and to see how you getting on with build 

HolyCount

biddleboy":1r7iv7um said:
thanks kev try and get as much info on it as poss let us no how you get on well i hope its all good as ime looking forward to that cup of tea and to see how you getting on with build 

Will do.  On the build front -- it's actually going backwards !!!!  I am still stripping the farme back to a bare frame to strip back to bare metal. On the way I decided to rebuild the brakes ---- still waiting for the seal kits to arrive for the calipers. Trying to get a "pass out" from the missus for a reasonable period of time, and in decent weather, is proving a bit of a malarky  ::)  Have decided to take a week off work sometime this summer so I can go at it in peace while she is at work herself  ;D  So now just spending the time (and money) getting bits and bobs together -- and waiting for more bits to "fall off" Jasons starlet build  ;D ;D

iank

Phaeton":3p437yab said:
iank":3p437yab said:
That was Stoneleigh and it's definately Dave.

Not quite sure what you mean Ian, it's definitely Dave in the photo, but I don't think that's Dave ebay username.

Alan...

Sorry, confusion - I thought Holy Count was suggesting the photo was taken in North Petherton.

That picture was taken the week before I ordered my buggy :(

HolyCount

Just been confirmed -- it is the one at Stoneleigh in 2006!  Maike ( the seller) lent it to Dave to display.  Apparently Mike is the guy driving the silver / yellow buggy in the video on the muddybuggy home page. So at least we know this one is the real deal and will have been done properly.

Steve

If you look at photo no.12 This was taken at Stoneleigh when we were all parked on the front just out side the main hall (as stated in previous reply). and Photo no. 11 is the photo off Dave's website showing cars for sale. (I used this very photo to put my own choice of colours on, when I was trying to decide).
Can't believe it is still in this condition and no work has been done in all those years.

jason_l

Its a bit of a shame that Freestyle manufacture has died off!

I hope that someone buys this and puts it to good use!

I was going to go for a bike engined freestyle but chose not to as this one was in development and didn't want to do something that somebody was already doing, kind of wish i had gone for a bike engine now  :(

Oh well, at leats i will be the only Toyota engine.................................for the moment  ::)

HolyCount

jason_l":2wwajias said:
Its a bit of a shame that Freestyle manufacture has died off!

I hope that someone buys this and puts it to good use!

I was going to go for a bike engined freestyle but chose not to as this one was in development and didn't want to do something that somebody was already doing, kind of wish i had gone for a bike engine now  :(

Oh well, at leats i will be the only Toyota engine.................................for the moment  ::)

Very true --let's hope Dave gets sorted and starts up again .... as in the old Remington ad .. if I had the money I would buy the company !!!!!

HolyCount

Okies -- just been to see t'animal .... as per sod's law camera battery died -- but there are enough pics floating around to see what it is.  It is, indeed, the one that was at Stoneleigh, and the seller is Mike Waterjohns of M-Tech -- so knows his stuff!

The (hard) rear suspension logs can be replaced with coil overs ( springs included). The wheels are available seperately -- if they stay with the frame he'd like £150 for the set. Money - wise he'd like around the 700 mark.

Frame is in excellent nick -- very clean from the front bulkhead back, only very light rust dust. Welds on the re-jigged rear end look good ( to my untrained eye). Couple extra mounts needed if you go R1, maybe a bit of bracing, other than that could easily be adapted for just about anything that will fit between the wheels. Diff will need casing fabricated. Didn't check out the rear track Alan  :-[  But didn't look untoward.

I have Mike's mob. number if anyone wants to ask owt -- PM me -- best not to put it in open forum.

Phaeton

Staff member
Just looking again & drooling somewhat over this, I actually think this frame is probably the way forward to fit 'any' engine in, not just a bike engine. The spaceframe setup at the rear could be modified to accept just about any transverse engine you wanted to put in. If the diagonal down-tube's are in a similar place to the originals I may even consider doing this to mine over winter.

Alan...

HolyCount

Phaeton":26romtux said:
Just looking again & drooling somewhat over this, I actually think this frame is probably the way forward to fit 'any' engine in, not just a bike engine. The spaceframe setup at the rear could be modified to accept just about any transverse engine you wanted to put in. If the diagonal down-tube's are in a similar place to the originals I may even consider doing this to mine over winter.

Alan...

Funnily enough, Mike and I came to the same conclusion when I went for a look-see --- just a matter of working out where the mounts should be and welding them in ---- might need a bit of extra bracing here and there -- but the basics are in place.

iank

HolyCount":3infv7uf said:
Phaeton":3infv7uf said:

Alan...

Funnily enough, Mike and I came to the same conclusion when I went for a look-see --- just a matter of working out where the mounts should be and welding them in ---- might need a bit of extra bracing here and there -- but the basics are in place.

Leave the mounts to the chassis where they are - that way the buggy doesn't need to be altered to retro fit existing chassis (assuming you are making a jig to turn them out in numbers.
What about suspension?  Wishbones or use the existing mini stuff?

Phaeton

Staff member
iank":339amtr1 said:
What about suspension?  Wishbones or use the existing mini stuff?

I think use the Mini stuff, top & bottom arms aren't that expensive & still plentiful, you can buy them all new if you wanted to go for a 'new' registration number & take the benefit of fitting one of the very low classed engines & get the low VED.

Alan...