Relocating Battery?

jason_l

Hi All,

Just a quick one, im thinking about removing the front battery housing off the car completely and moving the battery to the passengers foot well to make room for the front mounted radiator im going with. The battery will be getting completely housed in but does anyone think there will be a problem with mister IVA.

I have had a little look through the IVA Draft but think it should be ok but don't know if anyone knows differntly???

many thanks in advance,

Jason :p

Phaeton

Staff member
As long as it's in a box & no-one can actually kick the battery I can't see any reason he could object.

On the IVA draft, there is a new version coming out in about 5 weeks, or so I was told yesterday.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":2t58rwbk said:
As long as it's in a box & no-one can actually kick the battery I can't see any reason he could object.

On the IVA draft, there is a new version coming out in about 5 weeks, or so I was told yesterday.

Alan...

I can't see them being ready for the IVA if they keep bringing out new versions so late??? I was looking at the latest version and some of it looks a bit weird?? Part of the text on fuel tanks doesn't look good. Can't be accessed from engine bay and can't be in passenger compartment??? Kept reading it but not too sure.

I think i will be ok with the battery so might go ahead and cut off the front battery box within the next few days.

biddleboy

hi jason as mine is already on the road i was thinking of doing the same thing but putting the battery were the fire extinguisher usually goes and having a stainless tank made to fit nice and snug in the front battery bay as the tank sits behind the nose cone and front bumper for protection there is no problem with sva man but not sure on iva man just another idea were to put the battery

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":2m5c6m31 said:
Part of the text on fuel tanks doesn't look good. Can't be accessed from engine bay and can't be in passenger compartment??? Kept reading it but not too sure.

Actually spoke to Andy at Nottingham about the tank when I was there, it's not the tank itself that can't be in passenger or engine bay but the filler. He suspects the tank will be okay in it's current location as it also must be protected from side impact which it is.

He wouldn't be drawn about the whether the filler would be classed as in the engine bay due the there maybe an exemption for open frame vehicles, but until the new draft comes out even he doesn't know.

There is also potentially a problem with the tank itself, if it is a car manufactured on i.e. Ford, Vauxhall etc. then it will be fine, if it is a fabricated one, then some documentation maybe required, but again he wouldn't be drawn as to what until the reprint. All he could do was sympathise with our situation

Realistically all you can do is continue building but be prepared to change in the future.

Alan..

ben waine

i mounte a winch so i maved the batterry to the left and put the winch on the right
i dont no he sie of the radtor but theres y way of sloving the problem also have u considdered how to get the pipes to and from the radator.
there is anouther crazy idea mount it on the roll bars so when off road there would be less chance of wreking the radator

Mini Mad Max

Everything is at risk on jason's buggy offroad, including himself, due to that flippin great big power plant of an engine behind his seats! ;)
Max 8)

jason_l

LOL Don't think mine will be going off road..............to start with!  :eek:
As i am now fitting the toyota hubs im going to get some 15's with A048R's for road use, then im going to get some 16/17's with off road tyres to give more ground clearance.

With regards to the pipes for the radiator, not too sure yet. Might make a channel underneath that will house the pipes in completely, sort of like Jamie's wiring channels or might find another route for them.

Good news about the fuel tank, i have a behind the seat version but its not in a good state, considering getting a new one made up but not essential yet!

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":11phg0hn said:
LOL Don't think mine will be going off road..............to start with!  :eek:
As i am now fitting the toyota hubs im going to get some 15's with A048R's for road use, then im going to get some 16/17's with off road tyres to give more ground clearance.
You might change your mind once you look at it with 15" on, they look huge & have issues with turning front wheels so they don't catch. If you go to 17" they will have to be out on stalks LOL

These are 15"

Alan...

jason_l

WOW! Think 15's even look too big! Thanks for the pictures alan, has made me think about this seriously now. Think im going to do everything i can not to use the starlet hubs as the 13's look just right.

Not too sure if i can get 13's on a starlet hub and clear the caliper's??? Plus i will have to get some custom end hub parts to match the mini's PCD as well. Makes more sense to keep the mini hubs and get custom made drive shafts me thinks!!!  ???

Angel Boy

So me looking to fit the 16" rims I have in the garage might be a little bit of an overkill then  8)  :)

Alan,
Do you still have the bits that let you fit the BMW wheels to your Mini hubs?  Are you using them  ;D

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
Sorry Andy all bits went when Mary crossed over to the dark side & went to live in Lancashire

Alan...

Angel Boy

Phaeton":2b93gzrz said:
Sorry Andy all bits went when Mary crossed over to the dark side & went to live in Lancashire

Alan...

You let that happen!!!  How could you  :p  ;D

Can you remember the bits you used to make them up?  I have pictured the buggy (in my head) with the 16" wheels on so that is what I am aiming for.  It's annoying as they are only out by 1.25mm across the PCD and they fit on the hubs fine.  It is just the nuts only nip up on one side of the hole  :(  and I don't wnat to be driving it one day seeing a wheel going in a different direction.

Ta
Andy

jason_l

As Collie has said, might be worth trying some wobbly nuts  ;D I had them on my punto as i had toyota wheels fitted and they where different PCD. Allows you to fit wheels with differnt PCD, within reason of course!

On another note, i have managed to find the perfect radiator for the front of the buggy, so looks like i am going ahead with relocating the battery!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":38s81j70 said:
On another note, i have managed to find the perfect radiator for the front of the buggy, so looks like i am going ahead with relocating the battery!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Not on another note but back on topic don't you mean  ;D

So lets be knowing what it is? Have you worked out how to get from the front to rear yet? That's the only one that is stopping me doing it

Alan...

jason_l

Radiator comes from a Fiat Cinquecento, Its only 245mm high and about 500mm wide, fits perfectly at the front of the car. Going to angle it forwards and create a duct behind that forces the air up. Otherwise the air will just slam into the front of the car.

With regards to the radiator hoses im not sure as of yet, more than likely create a channel under the car to run them down or possibly along the passengers side of the car and house them in.

jason_l

HolyCount":2mjfflov said:
Wobbly Nuts ?? I must hhave lived a sheltered life -- I thought he was being personal !!! :-[

Looks like i may be running them on the GT conversion now! Mini PCD is 101.6mm and Toyota PCD is 100 PCD. Wobbly nuts can go up to 3mm out so this should be fine.

Wobbly nuts are like normal nuts but they have a tappered piece that is loose so they so of accept a certain degree of 'miss alignment'. Hard to explain, if you do a search on ebay for them then loads will come up!

Jason

Angel Boy

Jason,
Have you managed to find any wobbly nuts to fit the Mini hubs?  I've checked a couple of places and they only seem to do 12mm wobbly nuts.

Andy