Relocating Battery?

jason_l

Angel Boy":1c7qdxqn said:
Jason,
Have you managed to find any wobbly nuts to fit the Mini hubs?  I've checked a couple of places and they only seem to do 12mm wobbly nuts.

Andy

Had a little look but didn't find much, i did find some 13' inch deep dish wheels with Toyota PCD and thought i would go with them. Problem i have found though is that 13's will probably foul on the starlet calipers???

I think i may be going with the toyota hubs but maybe running 14 inch wheels with low pro tyres to hopefully keep the size small.

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
When I put the BMW wheels on I didn't bother with them, my thoughts were you are only talking less than 1mm per side so I just tightened them up progressively, it didn't seem to have any adverse effect.

Again going back on topic, I was thinking about the battery relocation whilst out with the dogs, Sticking with the Mini as I have no concept of the Toyota, once the radiator is up front a logical place is to make a bracket & mount it on the subframe on the nearside. That way it's also nice & low down, bit close to the petrol filler but can't see that as an issue.

Alan...

Paul

On the subject of battery location i placed mine on the offside rear in a stainless battery box. I have used an Odyssey dry acid battery to remove any danger of spills and it works really well. Its also very small and light. You can see the photo of it if you look on my build site link elsewhere in the forum.
Paul

Phaeton

Staff member
Paul, you're back, I tried to return your PM & it said you were no longer a member? Did you sort the image issue out?

Alan...

jason_l

Paul":3i6birhd said:
On the subject of battery location i placed mine on the offside rear in a stainless battery box. I have used an Odyssey dry acid battery to remove any danger of spills and it works really well. Its also very small and light. You can see the photo of it if you look on my build site link elsewhere in the forum.
Paul

Thanks Paul, been looking at the odyssey batterys. Think i will be going with the passenger footwell just need to get a smaller battery first! :)

jason_l

Lime&Orange":2rd3qz7i said:
Move passenger seat forward a bit and mount it behind the seat, in a battery box.

Short run of cable thru rear bulkhead.

Going to go for footwell me thinks, i have the behind the seat fuel tank so if seats go more forward the passenger will be out the front! ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":2556ptkf said:
Going to go for footwell me thinks,
I think you need to wait until the engine is in place & maybe even the water plumbed in to see what available space there is. It would be better out of the passenger compartment, not through safety, just through space.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":2g00lqcx said:
jason_l":2g00lqcx said:
Going to go for footwell me thinks,
I think you need to wait until the engine is in place & maybe even the water plumbed in to see what available space there is. It would be better out of the passenger compartment, not through safety, just through space.

Alan...

Think thats what im doing Alan, had a little look at possible locations today and im not fixing it down anywhere yet. Would like it at the back but im trying to get more weight to the front so might see if i can leave it where it is at the moment but mount the rad in front of it???

Jason :)

Phaeton

Staff member
If you're not using the standard curved nose, then you could afford to extend slightly to give yourself space. Wouldn't have to be much, but may have to be boxier & squarer.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":2m32tmxd said:
If you're not using the standard curved nose, then you could afford to extend slightly to give yourself space. Wouldn't have to be much, but may have to be boxier & squarer.

Alan...

My chequer plate front has been sold so need to make a new one. Was going to make a fibreglass version that has a big intake for the rad, might just be room for the battery but like you say Alan i can sort it out later. :p

Lime&Orange

Your having the fuel tank behind the seats?  ???

With the battery up front, will you be able to get to it with jump leads?

Also, the shorter the cable run from battery to engine the better for cranking.

jason_l

Lime&Orange":cobbsmcl said:
Your having the fuel tank behind the seats?  ???

With the battery up front, will you be able to get to it with jump leads?

Also, the shorter the cable run from battery to engine the better for cranking.

Yes i currently have the behind the seat fuel tank, although im going to get it remade with the drivers side set further back so seat can go all the way back against the frame. I will be able to get to the battery if its up front as im going to make a easily removable piece in the nose cone to get to rad/battery if thats where its going to go.

Main problem with having battery further back is the weight issues, i need to get as much weight up front for a better weight distribution, especially with all that power in the car!