Second Radiator

collie

I found a picture or two below that I saved to my computer whilst I was travelling.
I know the buggy is a blitz, but I have no idea about the additional radiator?
I'm liking the idea of fitting one to the buggy, anyone got any ideas?

Angel Boy

Might be an oil cooler with a 12v fan from a pc or something.  I'm just looking at how it is connected up.  Looks like it has a solid pipes coming out of the top of it the hoses to the cylinder head.

I like the idea though.  I've been toying with fitting the heater matrix and a 12v pc fan wired to some kind of thermostat.  Neat job though.

Andy

Phaeton

Staff member
I moved my radiator to the other side of the down tube, took off the mechanical fan & replaced it with a sucking electric fan through a thermostatic switch. I then changed the radiator cap for a sealed one, fitted an expansion tank & fitted a heater matrix from a Mini into the system.

Once that was done only issue was thefan wouldn't cut out early enough & the engine ran too cool.

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
Hello,

On mine I have a long radiator which is next to the normal radiator I also have an oil cooled that I have used to take water.... seems to keep it cool enough

Danny

collie

I didn't realise you could use an oil cooler for the water, I thought the connectors were all different?

jason_l

looks like it could be a heater matrix with a 12v fan bolted to it??? Its connected up to the heater pipes.

Im guessing it would work the same way as a heater matrix, when the car is getting hot you can direct the water through the additional system and lower the heat dramatically. In the same way if your car is overheating you can put the heaters inside the car on to lower the water temp!!!

Jason :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Again, I wouldn't worry about it for the SVA, get it through, then start doing the modifications. I'm probably going to go for a rear battery & front mounted radiator but post SVA.

Alan...

Angel Boy

Guys, what's your thoughts on fitting two normal radiators back to back?  My daughter is not sleeping well so have more time to dream up crazy ideas.

Andy

Mini Mad Max

Hi andy,
          Like alan said, it would be best to get the buggy SVA'd and then mod it, but i could see the point in having 2 radiators, it might be better to have them either side of the engine so they get a better air flow which would make them more efficient.
  I've seen in a kit car magazine, a one off MR2 Buggy with two radiators mounted up in the equivilant place on the buggy as above the upper bulkhead. Wouldn't this be great on the buggy, it would get great air supply!! of coarse, you would need a header tank and a good water pump, but it would keep the engine [glow=blue,2,300]Ice COOL![/glow] I might be able to upload a pic some time and write what he did.
Max

Danny

Administrator
I know the buggy, me and alan were atstoneleigh when it was being written about, its got a gay name.... Adams buggy!! the thought that went into that is untrue!!!

I dont fancy boiling water above my head!

Danny

collie

I'll can the idea till post SVA as Alan says.
Meanwhile a 4 core radiator will have to do the job.

Phaeton

Staff member
Alex,

Four core will be good, if you're still worried then get either an aftermarket fan or simply a Metro fan & mount it on the outside of the radiator so it pulls extra air through. Once passed then you can start mounting extra ones or look at ducting. Mine MattBlack's & Hmalan's all passed with standard single rads & didn't get too hot through the whole test process. Only possible proviso would be if you intend drive there you may have to take it steady.

Alan...

biddleboy

collie":2woobi5s said:
I'll can the idea till post SVA as Alan says.
Meanwhile a 4 core radiator will have to do the job.
hi dan i know that adam its a mr2 based buggy/kit he only lives around the corner from me but i no what you mean with that big rad sat on your head iam just re doing the engine cover in fibre glass just like the normal cover but witha built in scooby scoop on top so the air will run between toy and the passenger into the scoop and on to the engine what do you reckon will it cool it down anough

Mini Mad Max

Any ducting would help the engine alot! Please could you upload pictures of this engine cover with the scoobs scoop, I might have some cash if you are willing tomake more, lol.
Max

jason_l

Souns good with the Scooby vent in!

We are thinking of making a huge side vent that ducts air into the radiator. Its going to be Similar to the Snorkel things you can get for the MR2 that vent the air dirct onto the induction kit. Its going to fill up the whole area where the radiator is.................but SVA first!!!  :D

hmalan

Only running a 998 but I have had real problems with mine overheating on the mororway.

Fitted a new 3 core super cool rad, heard mixed comments about them but P&L reckon they sell a lot to grasstrackers. Fitted this with the metal, continental fan and a header tank kit from Car Builder Solutions.

I know it is extremely cold at the moment but took her out again at the weekend and thrashed it about and still couldn't get the temperature above 80

Angel Boy

biddleboy":2751xuk2 said:
iam just re doing the engine cover in fibre glass just like the normal cover but witha built in scooby scoop on top so the air will run between toy and the passenger into the scoop and on to the engine what do you reckon will it cool it down anough

Cough cough - I hope I get a good price  ;)  This thread  ;D  8)

Andy

Mini Mad Max

jason_l":7k8ve7uq said:
Souns good with the Scooby vent in!

We are thinking of making a huge side vent that ducts air into the radiator. Its going to be Similar to the Snorkel things you can get for the MR2 that vent the air dirct onto the induction kit. Its going to fill up the whole area where the radiator is.................but SVA first!!!  :D
I think i know the kind you are talking about. One option is like a couple of people have done, Esdebe and Hoagy have done this, you could have a big side duct:
BuggyAirduct.jpg

Does anyone know where he got this made or from? It would be really good for ducting air i imagine. There are more pictures of Hoagy's buggy in the muddybuggy gallery if you want to take a closer look.
Max

Mini Mad Max

Ah, that looks like quite a bit of technical vacuum forming. I have the facilities to do vacuum forming, but i would need to make myself a wooden shape of a duct first. I will see what i can do ;D lol
Max