Second Radiator

jason_l

Seen this one before, we are planning on doing ours alot higher up. Basically where you have the roll cage above the rear wheel arch. The whole space is going to have a engine cover piece/air scoop piece.

We will later be making some MASSSSSSSSSSIVE!!!!! side skirts that will duct air on both sides straight into the engine compartment, Sort of hard to explain but they will be huge and run the full length of the buggy! Will try and do a few sketch's this weekend to explain what we are thinking about 8)

Jason

iank

jason_l":2okhxwwh said:
Seen this one before, we are planning on doing ours alot higher up. Basically where you have the roll cage above the rear wheel arch. The whole space is going to have a engine cover piece/air scoop piece.

We will later be making some MASSSSSSSSSSIVE!!!!! side skirts that will duct air on both sides straight into the engine compartment, Sort of hard to explain but they will be huge and run the full length of the buggy! Will try and do a few sketch's this weekend to explain what we are thinking about 8)

Jason

Three things to be careful of (none insurmountable) with your plan.
1.  Don't create a bl**dy great parachute effect that will kill performance.
2.  If you have the radiator up there you risk a leak showering you with boiling water.  It will be in the direct windflow so is vulnerable to stones.
3.  Sharp edges and SVA.

collie

For me I will likely now get a 3 core radiator as suggested by Alan and an electric fan, see how it goes.
Is cooling really that big an issue that I need gazillions of extra rads and loads of air ducts?
It's not even as if the thing is enclosed?

Angel Boy

No experience of this but having run a Mini for a number of years a know how hot they can get with the engine up front, putting it in the back with restricted airflow would indicate to me higher running temperatures.  I guess when you are constantly on the move, the issues will be less, but on a warm sunny day stuck in traffic......... :-\

Andy

ps not that you get many warm sunny days up here!!

Mini Mad Max

Yeah im in cumbria, it snowed today!
Plus you wouldn't use the buggy as a practical everyday car in traffic so it would be fine!
Max!

HolyCount

Mini Mad Max":30nzk1oi said:
[glow=yellow,2,300]Plus you wouldn't use the buggy as a practical everyday car in traffic so it would be fine[/glow]!
Max!

Don't see why not -- just treat it like a four wheeled bike !!!!  ::)

jason_l

When our buggy is SVA's and its not raining then i will be driving it!!!! Winter/summer don't care how cold it gets, as long as its dry as i think we are going for the Yoko A048r tyres so probably not good in wet!  :eek:

Phaeton

Staff member
Angel Boy":29lu5sxa said:
No experience of this but having run a Mini for a number of years a know how hot they can get with the engine up front, putting it in the back with restricted airflow would indicate to me higher running temperatures.  I guess when you are constantly on the move, the issues will be less, but on a warm sunny day stuck in traffic......... :-\
Andy,

Issue with mine wasn't when sat in traffic the fan did it's job correctly. the problem seems to be that if you keep with the existing pushing fan it's pushing into dead air just in front of the radiator. One long standing owner Jerry was always convinced the bodywork creates a vortex  which stops the fan pushing air out through the radiator.

Another concept to try is what Matt Black did with his, unfortunately I have no pictures. He cut a slot in the engine cover top & fitted one of those oblong to round extractor fan ducts. On top he built a small scoop & then under the cover he ducted the air to the fan which meant he had a supply of air going straight to it. It worked as the temperature would drop when going from 60-70mph

Alan...

Danny

Administrator
I used to have a scoop that push air over the engine, it was located above your head..... I found that it just frove the carb up....lol

On my rebuild though I have ducting from the passenger side in the firewall straight into the radiator.... seems to work

Danny

Mini Mad Max

Thanks Biddleyboy!
When i get my buggy SVA'd then i will experiment with different things, but its still good to get ideas, Lol
Max

Angel Boy

HolyCount":306yuqnc said:
Mini Mad Max":306yuqnc said:
[glow=yellow,2,300]Plus you wouldn't use the buggy as a practical everyday car in traffic so it would be fine[/glow]!
Max!

Don't see why not -- just treat it like a four wheeled bike !!!!   ::)

It will be my mode of trasport to work also rain or shine, in replace of my 125.  The only thing that will stop me is the snow.  Well actually the misses will stop me going out in the snow  ;D

Mini Mad Max

Heh heh heh,
I hope to use my buggy often but i don't see it as a practical car with a boot or a heater-lol. Plus where I live the only traffic is caused by bloody tourists flocking to the lakedistrict everytime there is a wiff of a holiday, they make me sick! (i used to be one...shhhhh!)lol
Max

HolyCount

Mini Mad Max":js6whkb9 said:
Heh heh heh,
I hope to use my buggy often but i don't see it as a practical car with a boot or a heater-lol. Plus where I live the only traffic is caused by [glow=red,2,300]bloody tourists [/glow] flocking to the lakedistrict everytime there is a wiff of a holiday, they make me sick! (i used to be one...shhhhh!)lol
Max

We call them "Grockles" down here ( amongst other things !!! ).  I intend, like Angel Boy, to use mine as daily transport to work. Just wear bike gear and it will be OK -- heaters ---- who n-n-n-neeeds heat-t-t-ers ??

Phaeton

Staff member
HolyCount":3ulvnzas said:
heaters ---- who n-n-n-neeeds heat-t-t-ers ??

They are easily installed, afterall you have a bloody great kettle behind you to warm the water up.

Alan...

Angel Boy

We call them "Grockles" down here ( amongst other things !!! ).

I used to live in East Yorkshire and at Hornsea, Bridlington etc they called them "Comforts".

Majority of the holiday makers visiting come from Leeds/Bradford and are on weekend stays. So when the locals asked "Are you staying with us long?".  The response and this works best in a Leeds/Bradford accent "Just come f't weekend".

Heaters are for wimps!! but I am thinking about how I can plumb one in as a mod post stage 1 build  :)

Andy

HolyCount

Getting more and more off topic (apologies), I remember, many years ago, in one of the kit car mags, someone coming up with an interesting solution to unheated kits.

Along the lines of a pressurized flight suit, they kitted out what was basically a quilted race suit with pipes wound around the body and up and down the arms, with an inlet and outlet connection at the waist.  In the car were matching connections to plumb the suit into what would have been the heater system.

Bit risky if you ask me --- but maybe with thermostatic valves in the system, it could work.  Imagine broiling the crown jewels  :eek: :eek:

Phaeton

Staff member
Think I would prefer a more simple solution, either from the heater take offs run rubber piping up front & either use a standard matrix with a fan behind it, or do as Jerry did get a Motorbike radiator & up under the dash. Alternative which I will be looking at, taking the battery from the front & mounting it above the clutch housing. Then removing the battery shelf & fixing a radiator there instead, cutting holes in the front nose cone & then lining it with fine mesh. If I go for this then I can tap off this for a heater matrix inside the buggy as well, all that will be needed is a remote thermostat, some car must run one & remove the existing one. Only real question is whether to use rubber hose or 28mm copper front to rear & the best & safest route.

Alan...

Angel Boy

For the kits I've seen that transplant engines in the rear they run copper pipes front to rear with rubber hose connecting the bits at the end.  If you do run copper pipe it would be relatively easy to solder in a reducing t-piece that you could tap off for your heater matrix.  28-15mm t-piece possibly.

How do cars like the Elise connect up the relevent bits?

If you do run a system like, do you think you'd need to upgrade the water pump at all?  It's got a fairly legthy run of pipe to pump water down.

Andy

Lime&Orange

I use an heater, with copper pipe down centre of car, using flexable rubber hose to connect to the heater and back thru the bulkhead.

Lots of hose means its connected same as it would be in a Mini.

Looking at the MiniSpares 2 Core with electric fan on a switch, moving means enough air flow to keep it cool, fan for when its in traffic.

Also got some water wetter to drop the temps.