speedo

biddleboy

hi guys has any body got a trial vapor speedo working on a terretrip has ime having problems connected to a live but i get nothing wen connected to the speedo swapped wires over still nothing can any body help

Phaeton

Staff member
Have you got the wiring diagram for the trial vapour? If so can you scan & post up.

Alan...

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve, only suggestion I can give you is Red must have a live on it, I suggest a switched live so only works when ignition is on. Then you only have 2 wires (White or Black) to go to the Vapour, try them both ways round.

Alan...

biddleboy

yes got the live on the teretrip its red and joined the other two to the cable coming from speedo and nothing so swapped wires round and still nothing the ignition is on so it might be back to the old magnet set up or acewell

Asbo

been there,done it....red to black....green to yellow,black to white......

and...... blue to fekk!!

::)

Phaeton

Staff member
If you can go back to magnet for the time being bring to to Stoneleigh & we can have a go at getting it to work for you there.

Alan...

biddleboy

i cut the wires to fit so got no magnet now so if i can get an ace well at the right price i will fit one of those because for the exstension cable and a new magnet kit it will cost me between 50/60 quid

esdebe

The red isn't live (sorry for not responding sooner) the read and white are the equivelent to the white and green on the acewell, so from the teratrip you need to connect its red to a live and the other two wires need to go one to the red on the speedo and one to the white, if they dont work then switch them arround,  It is the teratrip that needs to be wired to a live feed not the speedo.

That said if you go the Acewell route we will have it up and running in no time as Stoneleigh.

You will need to bring the teratrip sensor, some red wire (for a live feed) and two other pieces of wire, I woudl recomend using the same colours as the wires on the Acewell or the Teratrip (when I did mine that was white and black for the teratrip but mine is a gearbox mount rather than the speedo cable mount)

You will need a speedo cable.
Some terminals (the terminals can be sourced at the show if need be)
Cable ties to make it all tidy

crimping tool
snips
screwdrivers
plyers
Jr Hacksaw (metal blade)

(Ill have all of these tools with me at the show apart from the Jr Hacksaw so don't worry about them)

Simon

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve, Just a thought, have you checked that the speedo cable is actually turning, I had to replace my speedo drive mechanism on the one I got from you.

Alan...

esdebe

I connected a Multi meter up to the tera trip (the two wires that are not red, the red one needs to have a 12V live feed) and wathced it pulse (change from 0V to 12V).  Need to jack up car and turn wheel slowely as you get about 3-4 pulses per revolution, and the duration of the 12V is very very short.

biddleboy

Phaeton":9mc5xn6z said:
Steve, Just a thought, have you checked that the speedo cable is actually turning, I had to replace my speedo drive mechanism on the one I got from you.

Alan...
yes alan put it on axle stands and in gear and the cable was spinning might get a multi meter and see if there ia any pulse on the trip

hmalan

Simon,

After replacing my engine my teratrip won't work.

Wired as per your note, my acewell is producing just over 4 volts in one of the two wires coming from it, I cannot remember which at the moment

Alan

esdebe

yes the acewell does have a voltage on one of those wires,  It confused me when I was first working out the teratrip would work with it.

What colour are your wires on the sender, and what colour are the two wires on the Acewell?

You may need to check that the sender is getting a voltage.  The metro and mini have different size square ends on the speedo cable so if your new gearbox is different to the old one you may need a different section of cable or you may just transplant the speedo drive from your old box if you have this issue (Danny had this issue when we first set up his)

try putting the end of the cable in an electric drill and check that the acewell registers it on the speedo.

My acewell had white and yellow cables for the speedo connection and my teratrip has black, white and red connections.  The red goes to a permernent live, and the black when to white and the white to the yellow.

I know alans teratrip sensor on Mary was different colours (for the black and white) but we just tried one way and then the other.

Simon

hmalan

Simon,

Bought another Teratrip off of ebay which had differant colours "orange" etc.

Have tried both this and my original one with every combination of wires and the other night did the same and used the drill on the cable, as per your post.

Nothing registering on the speedo.

I have reconnected the magnet and the speedo is now working occassionaly.

For now I am just using the SAT Nav but when I get time I will re check all the wiring on the Acewell, though rev counter etc still working ok

It has got me stumped but I don't want to apy for another acewell yet until I am sure what is wrong

Alan

biddleboy

well alan ime having the same problem but ime useing a trail vapor speedo nothing registering but tested the teretrip and that is working well i put the red to live and put my multi meter on the other to wires and it  was reading somthing

biddleboy

well guys had another little play with speedo this morning and  finaly got it working got my multi meter and found a break in one of the wires going to the clocks fixed it and now i have speedo