SVA Fail No real surprise

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":2zyp0evg said:
See what you mean about the exhaust Alan.

Just taken mine off the trailer after getting the exhaust made up today! Luckily mine has no sharp edges on it and is pretty clean and smooth.

What im planning on doing anyway is riveting a Aluminium composite panel to the two tubes going down on the rear bumper. Going to have it bend down and under the rear as much as possible! :)

If it's all smooth then there is not an issue, mine was only a concern do to the way I mounted it. Just to be on the safe side though put some trim around the hole where you can see the doughnut as that could become above floor level.

Alan..

jason_l

Phaeton":222pfszv said:
jason_l":222pfszv said:
See what you mean about the exhaust Alan.

Just taken mine off the trailer after getting the exhaust made up today! Luckily mine has no sharp edges on it and is pretty clean and smooth.

What im planning on doing anyway is riveting a Aluminium composite panel to the two tubes going down on the rear bumper. Going to have it bend down and under the rear as much as possible! :)

If it's all smooth then there is not an issue, mine was only a concern do to the way I mounted it. Just to be on the safe side though put some trim around the hole where you can see the doughnut as that could become above floor level.

Alan..

Thanks Alan. Its all smooth but better to be safe than soory, plus im getting rid of the bumpers after SVA. Have already covered every part of the rear subframe with Tight N Fast, including the hole near the dougnuts. Gone completely over the top but should be all good.

Mine will be on the trailer this Saturday going to its home away from home, Getting the guy doing the engine conversion to work on it while im away, as his rates are so good :)

Phaeton

Staff member
Well braved the cold for the last two days getting a few things done, yesterday was a complete waste of time, apart from finding the fault with the headlights (broken wire on column) I got nothing done towards SVA retest. The starter motor packed up & I have found another negative against a behind the seat tank. To get to the starter motor the seats had to come out, the centre console had to come out, the forward rear bulkhead had to come out, the petrol tank with 25 litres of fuel had to come out, the rear rear bulkhead had to come out before I could even see the starter motor. First thought it was the solenoid which wasn't making good contact so changed it for a spare but that made no difference so changed the whole motor with success. Only other thing I managed to do was change the steering rack boot which means I can now go get a 4 wheel alignment done.

But today was a bit better day actually managed to get 2 ticks in the box, I added the extra bar he wanted in the rear bumper, but still not happy that he couldn't/wouldn't test the exhaust as he still could get to it with his 100mm wand. So an IKEA waste paper bin was sacrificed to the cause & the gap was meshed, with a bit of trim added to the exhaust bracket.

Then onto the floor flexing under braking, got a piece of 25x25x2mm box cut to the width of the chassis. Two rivnuts into the chassis rail & the bar bolted up, then the three bolts holding master cylinder to the floor were drilled through the bar & rebolted, seems to have done the trick. At the test I did suggest I welded this in but I lose an inch ground clearance & will be moving to the pendulum box over next winter so wanted an unboltable solution

I know how you all like my Health & Safety awareness photo's so I thought I would show you have not to work safely underneath a Freestyle.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Heh heh heh ;D You crack me up! It looks like you've got your work cut out though :-\  Good luck with the retest, when is it????
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Bit difficult to explain, a picture would make it obvious bit difficult to get camera in there. It's the lower mounting that holds the inertia reel & the triangular bracket on the end of the seat belt at the bottom of the roll bar.

I drilled out the captive nut on the inertia reel, put the bolt through the reel, then the triangular bracket with seatbelt, a top-hat washer & then into the chassis. When I tightened it all up the triangular bracket was facing upwards so the belt was in-line with the top mounting.

But when you wear the belt because the bracket doesn't move in the top-hat all the belt scrunches to one end which he didn't like. So I have loosened off the bolt & moved it round so that it's at a more natural position when you are wearing the belt.

Here's a picture I've just taken, not very good but it may give you the idea, if you're still confused come back to me & I'll have another go at explaining.

Alan...

JAMIE B.

Thanks Alan, I was a bit worried the sva bloke was having a gripe as to the positioning of the seat belt mount location, phew thats a relief.

Got a date through for my sva yesterday (Friday 20th) for Wednesday the 26th. A bit short notice especially when you only get three days prior to test to change appointment before they relieve you of some of your £190 for not giving them enough notice,
needless to say this date is not convenient for me  :eek:

Will be phoning them first thing on Monday morning, via Swansea since I didnt get a direct tel. no. for my testing station

Cheers Jamie

Phaeton

Staff member
Well went back today, got there 10 minutes late after being sat on the M1 for 25 minutes & it was a Pass then a Fail.

The Pass was the VOSA test I came away with my MAC certificate & went the 3 miles to DVLA where I got a resounding FAIL they wouldn't inspect it, wouldn't take VOSA's word for the chassis & engine number.

So an appointment was make for 10th March at 10:20 for them to inspect it & then IF they have time to process the forms & give me the paperwork to get the plates, or IF they haven't they will send it out to me. They of course took the money off me!!!! or another 80 mile round trip to be had.

Why it has to be this hard I don't know, but what I have done is pay for 12 months 3 weeks VED so I can drive it immediately without losing 10 days VED.

Alan.. 

biddleboy

well i take it congrats in order with pass but the same with me got to wait till Wednesday only 2 days away wat a piss take o and thanks for passing me on to stu he has not got in touch yet but thanks anyway that drink i o you is getting bigger

JAMIE B.

Well done Alan, main thing is you got her through the sva thats the biggest hurdle overcome !

Shame dvla are being akward s##ts

Jamie

Phaeton

Staff member
collie":3jg686iv said:
Well sounds like you are making progress atleast.
I wish I was as close as you bud. :(
Well you know I can offer a Buggy building, rebuilding, wiring, fabrication service if required.

Alan...

collie

Phaeton":tbgstyuv said:
collie":tbgstyuv said:
Well sounds like you are making progress atleast.
I wish I was as close as you bud. :(
Well you know I can offer a Buggy building, rebuilding, wiring, fabrication service if required.

Alan...
:D Yep, but that would be like cheating! I may need your help and vast welding experience soon though to weld my newly fabricated lugs onto my pedals again!

On the sunsect of SVA and IVA, I read an interesting response to a letter in CKC, did anyone else spot that?

collie

JAMIE B.":3ba8r3jg said:
So whats CKC ??
It's a Kit Car Magazine bud,
Complete Kit Car
I think it's the best read out of the 3 contenders and certainly seems to have the best website.
Kit Car tends to rant about Cobra's too much and boast that it's the best seller whilst its contenders are just not very good. Plus the website is poor.
I just can't relate to Total kit car, plus again, poor website.
CKC seems to be best read, most fun, and has a clear and fresh website.
Of course this is my opinion and I will stand corrected.
Sorry Alan, i seem to have hijacked your post!  :p

Phaeton

Staff member
Well went to see a nice lady at the DVLA today took me 1.5 hours to drive the 36 miles. Anyway gets there & unlike last Monday it was deserted so I took up 4 parking spots went in & got my ticket. My number was called almost immediately & had to go to window 6, to be told she is in the middle of an inspection & would I take a seat & wait to be called. After about 10 minutes she called me over to the window & said I needed to take the buggy around the corner through the other car park & pull up outside the garage, this was the only place she was allowed to inspect the car. So out I goes & starts to go towards the car park/garage all I can say is I'm glad I made the A-frame as if I'd gone with a trailer or even the dolly I used to use I would have had to unload it to get there, well you could have got in but no way would you have got out again. Cars park both sides & tight car park corners not the best place. Anyway waited a few minutes & she came out with some paperwork, couple of pleasantry's & then

Inspector: "has engine, gearbox, suspension & steering all come from the Austin Metro"
Me: "yes"
Inspector: "where's the chassis number"
Me: "just there in front of the drivers seat"
Inspector: "Oh yes, is it stamped anywhere"
Me: " yes it's up under the front bulkhead behind the battery, you don't need to see it do you?"
Inspector: "no not a problem as long as it's there" Proceeds to write chassis number down.
Me: "phew" (under breath)
Me: "i cleaned up the engine number last night so you can see it easier"

Inspector: "Thanks for that" Proceeds to write engine number down
Inspector: "right then that's it, you'll get an age related plate & I'll have the paperwork sent in the post to you tomorrow"

Me; "No chance of waiting & it being done today?"
Inspector " No sorry"
Me: "Okay, but I had to ask didn't I"

At this point the inspector smiles & walks away, as quickly as you read it that's how long it took, I then had to reverse it 100 metres round 2 90 degree bend to get back out. As I said said, luckily with the A-frame I can do that.

Alan..

HolyCount

Take it there was no messing with receipts etc ????  Maybe Steve should drive over there !!!!!

Which chassis number did you use .... and is it also stamped behind the battery    ::)  ????

Phaeton

Staff member
HolyCount":3bycdigj said:
Take it there was no messing with receipts etc ????  Maybe Steve should drive over there !!!!!

Well been there before, week last Monday straight after the SVA & submitted the forms, in the form of, a V5C for the donor, a handwritten receipt from Dave Smart to Nigel Brown (I think) he was the first owner (no chassis number on the receipt) a V55/5 & a V627/1 along with a cheque for £130 odd which was for 12 months VED + extra weeks so I can drive straight away & not have to either wait until month end or loose days already gone in this month & another cheque for £55 for first registration.

HolyCount":3bycdigj said:
Which chassis number did you use .... and is it also stamped behind the battery    ::)  ????

The one I made up F2A02070000000199 & OF COURSE IT IS what are you incinerating?  ;D

Alan...