The Dumfries Death Trap!

wagon

wagon":8nq30bux said:
Lots of stupid little jobs which take for ever and seem like nothing is done - the dullest kind!

:'(

Nothing worth taking pics of, unless you want to see grazed knuckles from adjusting the handbrake 3 times!

Need to create a better method for doing it rather than taking the whole thing apart! ;D

Mirrors
P1100191.jpg

Mudguards - Get told off for calling them fenders! Front are done too, just need to connect up the indicators
P1100190.jpg

Nut covers, end caps and finishing strip - Everywhere!
P1100189.jpg

P1100188.jpg

Still need to:
Re-Re-RE-Re adjust hand brake
Sort the tracking
make the tach work properly
straighten the steering wheel
fix a bonnet catch
add VIN nos
add an engine cover
adjust the headlights
final tighten !
Final re bolt seats!

brakes are still rubbish, not sure how the IVA will like that.

wagon

Well..... I *think* I'm about there.....

Bumpy weekend.... Almost rolled it out in to the field and set on fire a couple of times! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Had a lot of fiddly little bits and bobs to do.

First up was to fit and wire the indicators... Tiger seal all the way :)
P1100285.jpg

Connected them up and nothing would work..... spend ages tracing all the wires... lots of head scratching!

disconnected and tested 1/2 the loom.....

Turns out the 2nd hand Ford Capri hazard switch let me down!

Unfortunately in my efforts to test stuff I took the insulation off a connector - Live switched unfused feed for the gauges etc.... bet you can guess where this is going....

Yep.
P1100286.jpg

P1100287.jpg

Great.
P1100288.jpg

Cooking the ignition switch.... :mad:
P1100299.jpg

Luckily I did have a spare ignition switch though! Amazing what you can find lying about!

So although that was the first instance of wanting to set it on fire, I guess it helped it's self with that really!

Next up - Got one of those pressurised eazibleeds...

Lowered my tyre pressure to about 13psi (is says do not use above 20)

connected up, bled one brake and kabamo..... what happened next?

Yup.
P1100296.jpg

sigh :( ::)

Alan & Danny - Cheers for teh advice on these:
P1100294.jpg

Still not got it working yet though :(

So that was me thinking I'm about done -
Except for re-wiring the tach,
re-re-re-re-re-re-re-adjusting the handbrake,
and fitting the mirror glass

P1100301.jpg

P1100303.jpg

P1100304.jpg

P1100305.jpg

P1100307.jpg

P1100309.jpg

P1100311.jpg

P1100312.jpg

P1100313.jpg

P1100314.jpg

Seems the clutch slave has ruptured too now :(
P1100315.jpg

So still "almost" there! These last wee things are killer. Gear box has developed a massive leak around one of the output flanges too! :'(

6days, 3h and 35mins to go!

wagon

Well as you all know, yesterday (14th may) I took my Freestyle to VOSA in Carlisle for it’s Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) test.

P1100343.jpg

P1100345.jpg

P1100348.jpg

P1100349.jpg

P1100352.jpg

P1100346.jpg

I went with the understanding that it would probably fail – and it did, but over all I would say it was quite positive, and I’m am pretty pleased with the outcome – Most of the fixes are minor issues which I should be able to resolve simply enough.
So in the most long winded way possible – here’s what happened.

Prerequisites
Before going for the test, I supplied some information to the DVLA.
This included:
1. £450
2. V5C from the Donor Mini (Registration Doc);
3. Pics of the build (From frame up);
4. Receipts of the build; and
5. An “amateur build declaration”.

After this paperwork has “passed” the test centre contacted me by phone and arranged a date. He sent me a letter with my appointment via email. Turns out none of the info sent to the VOSA gets to the actual test centre (except the so if you go for your test take the V5C from the donor with you to prove which year the motor is from – I forgot mine and that alone would probably have cost me £90.

Taking “extra” padding might be a suggestion, but in all honesty I don’t think he would have let me away with putting more on during the test. If you have an engine cover bolted on then a means of removal is a good idea.

The test
Basically the test was undertaken by working through the test manual (it was open and he referred to it continuously – So as many of you are building to the book you should be fine  Some sections he definitely looked at much more than others (listed below).

DSCN0280.jpg

DSCN0279.jpg

The test centre was simply a garage which had some ramps and some rollers for various tests.
If the buggy is less than 400KG is can be classified as a motor cycle.
Mine was nearer 600 in completed form.

Noise
This was the first test. He used a small almost like a knock sensor which he ran near the motor and checked for sound. I passed easily with a single (all be it large) silencer.

Emissions
He took the buggy away from this so I didn’t see him do it. He wanted to see the V5C for proof of the engine age. I failed for running too rich (1200HC is the limit I had nearer 2400)

Fuel Tanks
He had a look (no too detailed) and was happy at that (behind seat tank). My breather is hidden and he didn’t even ask. He had a look to see if the cap was tethered.

Rear Registration Plate Space
I bolted up an old number plate (backwards) to show where it should go. I didn’t have the front one on (or a position for it really)

Steering Effort
On the way to the other part of the centre he drove it and tested the steering ( – which passed!)

Indirect Vision
I had some mirrors :)

Brake Systems
He undertook a visual inspection of the brakes and suspension while the buggy was on the ramps – during this time he asked me to operate various controls while he was looking. He checked the cap had markings on it, as did he check the test light.
DSCN0288.jpg

Brake Performance
This was done wheel by wheel (until lockup) on a rolling road. Parking brake failed.
DSCN0301.jpg

Interior Fittings
He said as it was “open framed” most of the interior fittings would become “exterior”.
I failed this section for not having a anti slip (rubber) cover on my brake pedal.

Anti - Theft / Immobiliser
My steering lock wouldn’t activate (after I wrecked the previous ignition switch I hurriedly reinstalled another one which didn’t lock after removing the key) – Fail.

Protective Steering
He had a bit of a look at the steering column and seemed happy

Seat Strength
He looked over the seats & their mounts and seemed happy. I explained they were from an Elise

Exterior Projections
This was a tough section. He really got stuck in with his radius too and metal ball thingy. Basically anything “sharp” above the bumper line was uncool. He picked me up on a couple of things (even though I thought I’d been thorough) these included:
1. Edges of front suspension housing
2. Edges of the mirror mounts
3. Some of the chassis tube where it didn’t have a 2.5mm radius (where I hadn’t used the grinder enough)
4. Edges on the rear shocker mounts
5. The edge of my speedo (but not rev counter as this was more than 200mm from the edge of the buggy – he measured)

DSCN0299.jpg

wagon

Speedometer and Reverse Gear
He checked the speedo on a RR

Statutory Plates
I had an inscribed plate on the steering column and I stamped the number into the frame on the passenger side. Fail – Should have been drivers side!

Seat Belt Anchorages
He had a bit of a look and I explained that I had copied Lotus and mounted the belts onto the seats – he was happy.

Installation of Lights
He checked they all operated. He didn’t measure them particularly. He said I could adjust my headlights on the day with his test rig. He requested that I either cut off some “bonnet” or space the headlights for easier adjustment (as mine touched the bonnet)

Retro Reflectors
Mine not visible enough – fail.

Direction Indicators
Not visible – side repeaters – fail. As the buggy is less than 2600mm they can go nearly anywhere on it. He suggested front mudguard would be best.

Rear Fog Lamps
I put it on the wrong side (dummy) – Fail.

Wheel Guards
He got out an enormous protractor type instrument.
My rear guards did not go low enough at the back – Fail.

Masses and Dimensions
He weighed the buggy quite extensively. It came up 222 axle one, 376 axle two. I wrote a gross design weight of 740 KG onto the application – It weighed in at a calculated weight of 748kg – Fail.
He suggested using 300 axle one, 500 axle two, 800 gross for the retest.

Tyres
He had a bit of a look to make sure they were e-marked (I think)

General Construction
He commented that my tie bar bolts didn’t have nylocks and that one locknut on my adjustable suspension wasn’t tight enough – Think that may have been a fail too.

So that basically concluded the test. I think if I was to do it again, I would definitely get a 2.5mm radius tool and a 100mm sphere for the sharp bit test.

Can't thank Alan and Steve enough for their help ;D - Cheers guys

willsbuggy

Well done for being the first! Althought the list is quite long, there's nothing too major that a man of your calibre can't sort. I suggested the chassis tubes were too sharp to the others at Stoneleigh and I will have side panels covering mine completely. Glad you got the edging on the wheek guards in time! sorry I didn't metion that the rear guards were too short - bit late by then and I didn't want to demoralise you! Anyway an excellent effort, I know it's quite a trauma first time. Thanks for sharing it all with us, you've certainly helped us with our cause. P.S. I got the Cobra engine(which also failed on emissions) set up and tested at the local MOT centre before the re-test. Anyway don't be too despondant, you did a great job, get it all put right and re-tested asap.
Cheers Mark

wagon

it was only the chassis tubes in a couple of locations - next time i get to the garage i'll take some snaps of the bad bits so you can see. The 20mm box section of the frame all had the correct radius - It was the end cap that failed :)

I'm going to get on the blower to an MOT centre :)

wagon

Interesting day....

Went and got my emissions & timing sorted at a local garage at 8:30am

Got 1/2 way to my IVA resit and boiled the engine over proper. Think there's a good chance its a 3 cylinder now......

So super man to the rescue towed me the rest of the way to the IVA centre- running reeeeallly rough just about managed to drive it to the emission depot for its resit... started boiling over, steam pissing every where....

stuck the probe in..... 3000+ HCs!!!

Gave it a bit of a rev and it somehow managed to get 4 cylinders back - HCs dropped to under 700!!! :eek: :eek: 8)

So then I got this....
cert.jpg

But on the way home I also got this..... ::)
P1100484.jpg

And I'm fairly confident it's an engine strip job! :'(

Ach well - Got the hardest part done! ;D

wagon

Well work on going!

Have this small issue
P1240128.jpg

P1240131.jpg

P1240133.jpg

So I dug out an old head that has been sitting in my garage for 15 years!
P1240092.jpg

Dishwashed, soaked in vinegar for a week the washed and oven dried
P1240101.jpg

Attached
P1240139.jpg

Bit of relocting for FMR
P1240145.jpg

P1240148-1.jpg

and a glove box!
P1240203.jpg

P1240201.jpg

P1240206.jpg

But I have decided that the Fiat rad isn't quite right so on the look out for something else now
P1240143-1.jpg

A taste of hopefully things to come
P1240215.jpg

And - More important bits attached!
Unsure about the extra lamps - They look good on Alans!
P1240212.jpg

Never thought a tax disc could mean so much!
P1240120.jpg
:D

wagon

Well there wasn't really enough space for that radiator so I'm trying a Montego one now!

the spouts are located in a sort of better way - unfortunately the to spout is still a bit close to the shock - I hope it will be OK.
P1240240.jpg

So to get the hot water from the back to the front... to the back took some head scratching....

P1240244.jpg

Didn't want it any lower, didn't want it running down the outside, and didn't want it on the inside really!

But decided that the best way would be to tuck them as best I could out of the way
P1240267.jpg

P1240272.jpg

And up to the engine
P1240265.jpg

P1240268.jpg

Still a bit more to go - destroyed my 25mm hole saw so that's holding up progress!

tubing is all stainless - fook its expensive these days :(

wagon

Hi guys, been a long time since I updated this!

DSC_0273_zps4ac0c9ce.jpg

Been thinking of a new heart for the old sausage... But not something usual....

Need about 900mm space I think, only got about 750.....

Phaeton

Staff member
ROFL love it, consider following Danny's route add a MGTF subframe then modify it to hold the VAG

Radar

MENTAL ?? MENTAL ?? ...a 2.8 VR6 engine from a VW Golf In a freestyle that won't be mental that will definately be .....

THE DUMFRIES DEATH TRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol !

Radar

wagon

Lol cheers guys. Logistically, it's quite massive!

The gaiter I searched for something like "fork gaiter" or similar on eBay and got the cheapest pair. No idea what they where from