Which engine and which frame ?

boger123

hi Andy i like the look of your lornmower if i was you i would make the front the same as the back but i don't now if your planning to uses the same setup as a freestyle on the front as if you was it would be very simple to extend the plates to make the front a bit wider i just think it would look better if it was the same size on the back and the front and as for the recovery truck in the pic you can see it was mine but now its been sold as that's what Ive been making for a while here is some pic of what i was making before the buggy http://photobucket.com/dave_060  cheers Dave

HolyCount

I like the lawnmower too ---- might actually consider being seen in that one!!!!!

I'd say, keep the front narrow and widen the back, like Jason has done -- it looks a lot meaner that the standard buggy -- but needs that extra length too.

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't know if any of these pictures are any use to you Andy, but these are some pictures of the subframe you have grafted onto the back of a Freestyle.

HERE

The geometry of the wishbone suspension of the front was wrong, it was positive with no adjustment. All it needed was new wishbones making slightly longer to correct.

Alan...

Baloo

boger123":15dp979k said:
hi Andy i like the look of your lornmower if i was you i would make the front the same as the back but i don't now if your planning to uses the same setup as a freestyle on the front as if you was it would be very simple to extend the plates to make the front a bit wider i just think it would look better if it was the same size on the back and the front and as for the recovery truck in the pic you can see it was mine but now its been sold as that's what Ive been making for a while here is some pic of what i was making before the buggy http://photobucket.com/dave_060  cheers Dave

hi dave

nice recovery truck,  must be very usefull to have your own recovery truck, certainly make a few more items on ebay buyable  ;D
l have a ldv flatbed truck parked up that l always thought l would make in to a recovery truck but as yet have never got round to it,  but one day  ::)

Baloo

Phaeton":3in1b4lh said:
Don't know if any of these pictures are any use to you Andy, but these are some pictures of the subframe you have grafted onto the back of a Freestyle.

HERE

The geometry of the wishbone suspension of the front was wrong, it was positive with no adjustment. All it needed was new wishbones making slightly longer to correct.

Alan...

thanks Alan some intresting pictures in there, so who's is that one ? or who biult it that far ?, looks like it has taken a while by the surface rust on it,
looking at the pics in there l see what l think of as a standard metro front subframe reconisable by me from the fact it has bottom wishbones which  l thought would be the same on all metros ?

then l looked at this one
metrosubframeA.jpg

and it dosent have bottom wishbones, so whats this one then an "A" series metro subframe ?

heres some pics of the mgf subframe l have

mgfsubframe1001.jpg

mgfsubframe1003.jpg

mgfsubframe1004.jpg

mgfsubframe1006.jpg

it might be based on a metro subframe but there is certainly a lot of differences like no wishbones

certainly confusing to the newcomer  :)
but l am learning slowly

l see most people convert to spring over shocks if they can, are the hydro suspension units no good then ?
since l have them there l was thinking about using them either individually or linked together ?
can you get valves that screw in to the unit so as you can pump each one or them up ?

Baloo

well a lot has happened since l last posted on here,  jumping back to what Alan said about not needing more than 100 bhp in a lightwieght buggy l have to agree as l have managed to get a cheap metro of ebay and its electric around the field, its a 1400cc k series with the cvt gearbox and l dont know if its the cvt drive that does it but it goes like a scolded cat even in the metro, l cant imagine what it would be like in a buggy that weighs only half as much  :eek:  but l have to say l am impressed with how it goes as it is
heres a few pics of the metro, a bargin at less than £100

metro002.jpg

metro003.jpg

metro005.jpg

as l was not expecting to get the metro for less than the £100 l had bid l was also ferreting around trying to get some cheap mgf bits as well  :-[

still the mgf has things in its favor like it has handbrakes biult into the rear calipers which would be a problem useing the metro front subframe, also the gearchange is already sorted,  dont know about using the 1800cc engine though as the 1400 has more than enough "go" in it, l might mix and match the bits using the metro engine and mgf subframe brakes and gearchange ?

l started having a play around with some box section last week and have made a bit of a start towards biulding a  buggy

mgfbuggy2009.jpg

will try and do some more to it this week

Andy

biddleboy

well andy i take my hat off to you thats the dogs and i think i will have to pop up to moz and see in the flesh and pick up those seats of corse

Baloo

biddleboy":1mgwlab3 said:
well andy i take my hat off to you thats the dogs and i think i will have to pop up to moz and see in the flesh and pick up those seats of corse

thats fine steve, just give me a ring to check l'm in the garage, it is my plan to strip it tomorrow but l might sort out the roll bar legs and  fuel tank first or it may be just a pile of bits when you get here  ;D

Baloo

l supose l  should really start a biuld thread as there seems to be pics scattered about all over the place

edit: biuld thread started in projects

boger123

hi Andy the buggy looks very good how long before you get it up and running and test it i was going to come up the other nite with Steve to have a look but I'm in the middle of building a recovery truck so i don't have time hopefully next time he comes comes up ill tag along so i can have a nose so all you got left to do now is the boarin jobs like painting and fishing of 

Baloo

boger123":9gp22zyc said:
hi Andy the buggy looks very good how long before you get it up and running and test it i was going to come up the other nite with Steve to have a look but I'm in the middle of building a recovery truck so i don't have time hopefully next time he comes comes up ill tag along so i can have a nose so all you got left to do now is the boarin jobs like painting and fishing of   

hi Dave
            recovery truck that sounds usefull ;) l have been thinking about biulding one myself so as l can fetch all my ebay mistakes  ;D l am bidding on 2 things at the moment one in southhampton and one in newcastle  ::)
not to much left to do, front shock mounts and exhaust and then on to the painting, pop up when you want,   
it might be running in a couple of weeks  ;D