ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

wagon_1.0

LJxqTIn.jpg

;D

ChaosMS

Wagon is that yours??? that looks stunning!!! well done mate - is that an AUM engine then it looks exactly like mine (apart from yours being immaculate !!)

wagon_1.0

Thanks, it's an ARX, but there are loads that all are similar. It's a small valve, medium turbo, non EGT one. 150hp.

I'm going to keep prattling away about them I'm sorry...
I swapped our the dual mass clutch for a vr6 g60 combo, but it's more or less stock. Wanted to find u a really good guide by rub jonny that lists all the wires but it's so hard on a mobile

ChaosMS

Wagon, no worries those links have masses of info to go through - My AUM is supposed to put out 150hp too, but they reckon with a stage one remap on the ecu and a better intercooler / intake setup its pretty straight forward to get it to 180hp the turbo is the K04s version and so Ive been told thats good for over 200hp (NOT that im going that far)

At the moment I'm just concentrating on the physical side of fitting it in the back of the buggy and how much additional modification is going to be needed to do that and where things like the intercooler is going to go!!

I also need to work out the modifications to the pedal assembly as its going drive by wire! - scary stuff

Thanks for all this info and by all means keep talking about the engines and stuff - I'm learning loads here!!!!

ChaosMS

yeah i took all the loom from behind the dashboard so should be ok, will have lots of stuff to take out though - not an easy job to extract either ended up stripping the dashboard back to the bulkhead ! - it was a long day for both Steve and I!!

Hey one question I haven't started investigating this yet so apologies if the answer is in one of the many docs but i need to link an aftermaket rev counter to the engine which normally would mean connecting to one side of the coil, but as this engine has a coil per plug do you know what everyone else normally ties into? (I'm not using the instrument cluster, have a similar issue with the speed sensor although that might be a case of finding the pulse wire that would normally go to the cluster - hmmmm might of answered my question here i wonder if there is a wiring diagram for the cluster might be able to take both signals from the cluster wiring

ChaosMS

ha ha yeah i gave it a good clean off prior to rolling it into the garage, but the engine has always stayed pretty clean as nothing gets thrown up from below due to the alloy sump panel that goes the full length of the engine bay, plus its only 1600 miles !! in a year !

Danny

Administrator
mine will never look that clean... too many exaggerated U turns and shorts through hedges :D

ChaosMS

Ha ha nice one Danny - first outing after the engine swap and I might be through a hedge too!

Danny

Administrator
lol :D You are not driving it hard enough if you dont pay a hedge a visit every now and again :D

ChaosMS

ha ha ha LOL ;D

Done some more work on it this weekend got the Suzuki engine out stripped the side panels off ecu out and immo, now need to remove all the Suzuki loom for the engine and various other bits then sell them!!!

tried dropping the VW engine in, it almost went it but not quite will need to do quite a bit of surgery me thinks

wagon_1.0

OK ok - this is how i'd do it:

ECU - add power and earth, and fuel pump control.
From teh ecu, you have one loom that does all the Engine.
one loom to the DBW pedal
and one loom to diagnostics plug.

unless you are using mk4 dash, bin off all that rubbish, and you'll see that the ECU has outputs for rev counter. depending on your tach, you might need a tach convertor, on my mk1, i used an old porcshe tach so needed to convert for that :)

wagon_1.0

Contunuining from above - here's my last annoying interjection!

This is a very helpful page for you.
http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?26719 ... dieselness!)

but i did a similar exercise to above and this is what i got

T6 - brown 6 pin connector, early: --
1 Black Ignition Live
2 pur/wht Fuel pump earth trigger
4 red/grn Permanent live ECU feed
5 blu/yel Switched or Fuel pump live for lamda heater, MAF, carbon canister etc.
T10 - orange 10 pin connector, early: --
1 gry/wht Diagnostics K line
9 grn/brn Rev output
T10w - white or T10d - green 10 pin connector --
2 org/blk to vag-com port
3 org/brn to vag-com port
T10a - 10-pin connector: --
1 blk Oil pressure - or use your own
4 pur Coolant temp sensor - or use your own
5 red/pur Switched or Fuel pump live for injectors
6 yel/blk Switched or Fuel pump live for other sensors on engine.
7 brn Coilpack earth
9 brn/wht Earth for dash temp sender

The blue connector is for the pedal and doesn't need touching :)

The rest is irrelevant!

ChaosMS

Wagon, absolute star!! many thanks for this i will lay out the loom and start to pull it apart leaving just this lot, and you are not be annoying at all - the more info the better

ChaosMS

Cheers Wagon, Ive got most of the old loom from the suzuki out now so will shortly be test fitting the engine and looking at the new loom and how im going to fit it - still want the ecu in the dash so will need to extend it - but will thin it out first!!