ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

Phaeton

Staff member
ChaosMS":127deyre said:
but will thin it out first!!
I would get it started first in it's new home, then take out the extra wires, just me, that way if if doesn't start after then you have a baseline to go back to.

ChaosMS

Yeah good point Alan, ill probably just do the extension first on the cables I know I need and if it does not fire reconnect the rest - the loom had to be cut in half to extract it from the bulkhead so without soldering it all back together I cannot test anything - but like you say I will leave it all at first extend the known cables test it and keep re connecting until i see life
been chopping the old engine mounts out today and then tried dropping in the new lump!! - And after much head scratching I have decided that all back is going to need to come off, I have the space width wise but not front to back of the engine, the gearbox is fouling on the rear suspension mounts and I cannot get it to sit at the correct angle, so time to strip everything off the back and cut it off, I think I will then build a new cradle to support the engine and components and then re work the rear frame around it, I'll run it through solidworks first to see if it will work :)

ChaosMS

Oh and it looks like im going to change the hubs so i will also be selling the D1 Ultralite wheels and tyres!!

Phaeton

Staff member
Missed your update Rich, looking good, did you pause just a second before attacking with angry grinder? Any update?

ChaosMS

Hi Alan, yes there was a long pause then a "what the hell" kind of moment !! not had chance to do much in the garage recently but have done quite a bit on the design for the parts that are going to water cutting - I'm trying to get them all done at once for the backend so I will have all the subframe sections, gussets, and new hub carriers in one go!! then a long weekend should see those bits welded up - The big concern is getting the engine correctly lined up, its hopefully going to get tackled this weekend with a little luck!!

wagon_1.0

cool, looking forward to seeing this progress. will make an interesting comparison - you a bit weightier but shitloads of torque, me a bit lighter and no torque whatsoever!

hehe, the dog bone was broken in the GTI i bought - the engine could move around by about 50mm - I wouldn't worry too much about being precise!!

I'm doing a lot of head scratching about lining up my sprockets, not sure what i'm going to do..... it was easy in lego ::)

Baloo

hi
interesting up grade, should provide a noticeable improvement in performance
watching with interest as I have a golf here with the same engine and a road legal blitz 2
I was thinking of doing the swap but was thinking the wiring might be a nightmare ???

Andy

Danny

Administrator
Baloo":1euqenwq said:
hi
interesting up grade, should provide a noticeable improvement in performance
watching with interest as I have a golf here with the same engine and a road legal blitz 2
I was thinking of doing the swap but was thinking the wiring might be a nightmare ???

Andy

Hello Andy :D

ChaosMS

Hello Andy! do you still have the single seater 4x4 buggy ?? As for wiring we have a secret weapon and his name is Wagon!!! - at first sight the loom looks a nightmare but once thinned out we should be fine, been busy this weekend working on it and now have the engine sat on its new mounts (not that they are welded in though as ran out of gas!!)

Should have them fully welded this weekend though as long as I can sort this gas bottle business out!!

Pics to follow shortly

Rich

Baloo

Hi Danny/Rich

nice to see your still here, the single seat 4x4 buggy was my pal Marks and yes he still has it
will be having a read through all those links to try and swot up on the wiring of the golf engine
I cant find the key so I would imagine the immobiliser will do its job, can we delete the immobiliser ??

ChaosMS

Hi Andy, Yes you can delete the immo from the ECU - actually I think it just gets switched off! I think some of the ecu's are easier to do than others mine is from a mk4 and from what i understand is one of the straight forward ones

I have to remove the immo from mine as im not using the clocks from the golf - and thats where the immo circuit is located (had to take the old clocks from the donor golf just so i can test it prior to stripping the loom down)

Rich

wagon_1.0

the wirind is easy really - just need power for the ecu and fuel pump relay! :D

I had my Immo defeated by mail order for about £35 iirc. the later DBW ME7.5 are easier to work with than the earlier ones - but you'd have to wire in a throttle pedal - not really a big issue, think its about 6 wires that purely need extending.

Baloo

I don't really know which golf I have, its this one

if I can get it running I am up for making a new buggy using engine box and possibly running gear

who does the immobiliser delete ?, and where do I find the ecu on the car ?

thanks Andy

ChaosMS

Hi Andy, immo delete will cost you around the £30 mark and there are a few ebay vendors offering the service with good feedback, the ecu is up near the windscreen wipers under the bonnet - you should see it easy enough just follow the main cables up and youll find it its just a push fit if i remember correctly and the two plugs in it have a slide mechanism as a release catch - I think I had to remove the wiper mechanism to get the ecu or the fuse box out cant remember which one now!!

Rich