ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

Hi Guys the cruise control wasnt fitted to the golf I got the engine from but the loom is there for it - i just dont have the controls for it and its switched off in the ECU I think, my main worry is if I need these two pedal switches which will be fun to fit to my custom pedal box!

Danny

Administrator
cruise copntrol on the buggy would be well handy... especially for the wales return trips

Phaeton

Staff member
Either way Rich fitting switches to the pedals will be easy, you can even drill holes to fit the switch ;D Best CC I ever fitted was on the Toyota Auris, you disconnected the battery, allowed the airbag to sleep for 20 minutes, unbolt it off the front of the steering wheel, bolt in the £16 CC arm put back the air bag, reconnect the battery, Job done.

ChaosMS

Ha ha yeah - and you know how much i love drilling holes!! ::) ::) :p - in fact there are so many holes on the pedal assembly I might have to fill one in so the switch has something to push against!!!!!

I will take a look at the mounting they use in the golf and probably 3d print a clip to hold it in place then if I need to replace one its a factory swap out without modification ;D

Baloo

hi
my DBW mk4 dident have a clutch switch or provision to mount one

brake pedal has a switch with 4 terminals, presumably 2 to illuminate the brake lights and the other 2 to tell the ecu something ?

ChaosMS

Hi Baloo - oh I thought your throttle was cable operated - I didn't realise yours was DBW too, i know they both types (or at least I think that was what Wagon said, so maybe I dont need it then I might get the engine running and see if it has any impact when i remove it, saying that its not a big job to fit it!

Mine has the 4 pin brake switch too - not sure what the second 2 pins do

wagon_1.0

i have dbw pedal on my mk1. the ecu does have a brake switch feed going to it which I may have connected but i definitely didn't do a clutch switch.

I did consider c/c but i couldn't be bothered as i had 944 gauges and they are cable driven so i lost the speedo sensor etc.

Clutch on mine is a G60 flywheel with a VR6 plate - a simplification "upgrade" over the standard dual mass. Irrc I used a corrado slave cylinder and a T4 master cylinder, mounted "backwards" onto the mk1 column (which was previously cable operated)

I did have pics or i can take some if you need them, but i would think the buggy landrover m/c would be ok!

wagon_1.0

Chaos - there's about 4 types of 1.8T in various configs (therefore equaling MANY)
Early throttle cable, late throttle cable
With / without complex emisions
With /without large valves
Various turbo sizes (K03 ko3S and K04)
With /without forged interior

There are charts around if you care enough to look :)

ChaosMS

Hi Wagon, nah im fine with what ive got I will fit the clutch switch as I have read (and it may be rubbish who knows ) but I read that if you have the switch you should fit it as the ecu uses it to control the revs during a gear change, and if you dont connect it you find your revs lift as you dip the clutch - now this could be total crap but ill fit it and then try it with and without it connected to see what happens ;D

ChaosMS

As for the swap from dual mass to the g60 / vr6 - what was the improvement? - i will be changing the clutch but wasnt going to touch the flywheel unless it was damaged

wagon_1.0

I think it's all Internet hearsay, but the dmf can fail and is much more expensive to replace. The g60 fly is much cheaper and the vr6 clutch is proven to hold power well

Baloo

ChaosMS":1mg6cp50 said:
Ha ha i looked at at a mx5 one too - it didnt quite have what i needed though :)

I only looked at the mx5 one as there is one here, don't think I can run to £275 quid for a silencer though, that would be more than a quarter of my budget in one go lol

I might get a digital dash though just to play with

what wheel base is your buggy and are you running a servo for the brakes ?

ChaosMS

Yeah I know what you mean its a bit steep - im looking around for a duplex box I can make something similar from i think.

As for brakes no im not running a servo I have twin master cylinders with a balance bar, for the engine upgrade I have upped the disks and calipers GTI MK5 Big calipers for the front with 312mm vented drilled and grooved disks and Audi TT Vented disk calipers at the rear with 280mm vented drilled and grooved disks, when I tested the old setup it worked very well and I easily passed the MOT and IVA braking requirements so this upgrade should provide the stopping power i need with the new engine

As for wheel base the V5 does not actually state it anymore but the iva docs have it as 2300mm which seems quite long so i will check it in the morning

Phaeton

Staff member
I'll watch with interest on the braking front, I know the perceived wisdom is bigger brakes for more power, which the kids used to forget when they put the 1.6's in the 1.1 shells & not declare on insurance. But I think the buggies might be different, you're not likely to use the ultimate power & go that much faster than you originally did & combine that with the lack of weight in the buggies there is a risk of over braking it.

ChaosMS

Yeah I totally agree - hence no servo as that would lock up the buggy straight away! - unfortunately for me I had to change the disks as I have gone from 4 stud to 5 stud so they had to be changed, as for the calipers I am working on the basis that if they were fitted to the original vehicle at some point they should be more than adequate to stop the buggy with reduced weight, my original fronts were from the little Suzuki and wouldn't fit the thicker / larger VW disks so again not much choice, I also wanted to ditch the heavy suzuki uprights from the front and back and replace with a custom unit to carry the r32 carrier and bearings.

This engine swap has had a LOT of knock on effect !!

Baloo

I agree too, I wont be upgrading from the gti discs and callipers it came with I might even down grade to something from a lesser engine golf like a 1.3 with solid discs but trial and error will determine the best way forward, its also linked to which stud pattern I end up with, there's not much choice of wheel in the 5x100mm range so I was thinking of making myself some adapters to get me to 5x139.7mm which is Suzuki or by some strange coincidence 5x5.5" I think , I have maybe a dozen sets of Suzuki alloys with all sorts of tyres on from mild to wild but most are 15" dia so my brake disc is going to go inside that