ChaosMotorSport MKII Buggy Engine Swap Discussion Thread

Baloo

will look up remap and see how much / where they are

will get some better pics and have a poke around the car on Saturday to see whats what

thanks guys

Baloo

so where are you going to locate the radiator ?
up front or above the engine, my kinroad buggy that has a Nissan micra engine has the radiator above the engine right behind my earoles has always worked perfectly but it has concerned me that if the rad split I would get showered with very hot water, think I will have a front mounted rad if I am starting from scratch

Phaeton

Staff member
Baloo":39z00a88 said:
it has concerned me that if the rad split I would get showered with very hot water,
That has always been a concern of mine when I have seen them, although it's very unlikely to hit by something that would puncture it & logically if it was a small weep you'd spot it. I also prefer the rearward vision

ChaosMS

I will most likely go with the radiator above the engine along with the intercooler and oil cooler, it worked well before and to help the rear view I fitted twin rear cameras which were fantastic

ChaosMS

ha ha thats very true (the Danny bit ::) ) - whats wrong with a rear camera then?? to be honest there is so little view from the rear view mirror I had to do something!! ;D

Baloo

is this the same engine as yours ?

not the tidiest of interiors either but hey it made it cheap, actually it was free lol

ChaosMS

yeah that looks very similar, all the blocks look similar but i can see the 20v turbo bit on the plastic so i would say yes - if you take the plastic bit off infront of the wipers you should see the ecu - and as wagon said before check you accelerator pedal its probably only got a plug and a few wires going to it so youll need that too

Baloo

yer it does look a bit unloved doesn't it, it been off the road for over 10 years I think, maybe a bit longer,
its outside next doors stables at the moment it was inside their barn for many years but was thrown outside a little while ago when they needed the space, it was going in a mk 1 caddy pick up but it never happened
will take the forklift down the lane today and bring it up to mine and give it a jet wash and see what we have.
will start my own thread as well to save cluttering up this one

Andy

Baloo

ChaosMS":1k9vpd2i said:
Good god that is amazing !! have you just jet washed it??

yep just a jet wash and a secret recipe cleaner ;D

how did you get your engine out of the golf, did you lift it up and out or drop it down with the subframe and struts still attached
think that's what I am going to do

ChaosMS

I lifted it slightly and slid it off the front with the driveshafts removed from the hubs (but still attached), had to cut through the exhaust other than that it was straight forward

ChaosMS

Wagon - hopefully your checking this thread as need to ask a question have been looking at the loom over the last few days and reading up on the clutch and brake switches fitted to the DBW Golf MK4's from what I have read so far it looks like I need to fit the clutch switch at a minimum as on the DBW cars it is used to drop the revs between gear changes (and its also used for cruise control - not that im using that) - Have you heard of this?

Phaeton

Staff member
ChaosMS":zq450ifo said:
(and its also used for cruise control - not that im using that)
I would if you have it available, I drive the Rav & the SLK on it whenever possible

250buggys

Phaeton":3s2fcznd said:
ChaosMS":3s2fcznd said:
(and its also used for cruise control - not that im using that)
I would if you have it available, I drive the Rav & the SLK on it whenever possible

CC is worth having for all these average speed cameras that keep popping up.