Freestyle GT Discusion thread

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":2qxas23p said:
Hey Jason,
Good to see more expensive looking bits :D Could you please tell me the origin of the fuel filler cap you feature? Specific model of honda, I love the look of it!!
Max

Hi Max,

Here is the fuel cap i bought........ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380159217233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Problem with it is that its meant to fit into a Honda fuel tank so it may need some bodging to fit. Im going to try and mock something up during the week and see what i can do. The problem is that if you look at the pics of my one it doesn't fit flush onto a tank so will need a large piece made up to get it to fit properly.

Was only £23 delivered though so if it don't work no loss. The others from cbs are a rip off!!!!!

Jason :D

Asbo

hi jason. like you,i binned my hamburgers,but decided on led hamburgers instead!?

if its not too late,can i suggest you look at the larger landrover items...i think they may be NATO issue....certainly look a lot smarter than the small mini style ones?

jason_l

Asbo":2rchcxnk said:
hi jason. like you,i binned my hamburgers,but decided on led hamburgers instead!?

if its not too late,can i suggest you look at the larger landrover items...i think they may be NATO issue....certainly look a lot smarter than the small mini style ones?

Hi Wullie/Asbo  :D

I did look at the Nato ones your tAlking about, its the slightly larger ones that are not as domed right??? I didn't want anything too large and these ones are only £3 each so went for these. Im still not 100% sure on these but im going to test fit them tomorrow with some gaffa tape and decide then?!?!?

Asbo

aye,pure dilemna time! i bought led hella style ones too,but they just didnt look right. such a small part of the buggy but ye have to get it spot on!? good luck wae wotever ye settle on.

Phaeton

Staff member
Unless you're having some bodywork the lights need to go below to look right IMO. What you doing about the fog & reversing lights?

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":3unpf0z2 said:
Unless you're having some bodywork the lights need to go below to look right IMO. What you doing about the fog & reversing lights?

Alan...

Having an engine cover over the lot but i agree it looks better in line with the number plate. Plus when i convert to the coilovers on the rear the wiring for the lights can go through the hole that the rubber dohnuts is currently placed.

The reverse lights and rear fogs are going below the number plate, have checked the IVA regs and i have room for them :D

Jason

Angel Boy

Jason, go for the lights under the bar, then you can extend the template a little more inwards/move the lights a little inwards to fit the number plate lights on.  Then you have a combined set up.  Easier to wire as well.

Andy

jason_l

Angel Boy":26d5fiie said:
Jason, go for the lights under the bar, then you can extend the template a little more inwards/move the lights a little inwards to fit the number plate lights on.  Then you have a combined set up.  Easier to wire as well.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I did think about this but the lights can only really go in the position shown! I can't extend them inwards as they become too close and they need to be in their current location or they are two far away from the edge. The fog and reverse lights need to be more inwards so can only really go under the number plate. Bloody IVA!!!!

For number plate lights i have the little bolts with led's built into them  ;D

Asbo

jase,dunno if ive missed it?....but wheres your battery goin?

(wish i had the time and cash to do a japbug)

jason_l

Asbo":3uqhryvb said:
jase,dunno if ive missed it?....but wheres your battery goin?

(wish i had the time and cash to do a japbug)

I wish i had the cash to do a jap bug too  :D

Battery is now going at the back, lots of room in the extra compartment that was added to the rear.  ;)

jason_l

Asbo":dbm9fd36 said:
jeez....that'll be one helluva light front end?

Will have the radiator mounted at the front, thats mainly why the battery was removed and will have a nose cone made up that will add a little weight also. but yes will be light at the front  :-X

esdebe

Is there enough strength in those brackets, when I did my coil over front conversion I was advised by dave to make the mounts long to spread the load across more of the front, this is because then the spring plates were used they took a lot of the force but now coil overs are used all the force is back on that pivot point and that is not very think steel under the pivot point....

Simon

jason_l

esdebe":ram3tdj7 said:
Is there enough strength in those brackets, when I did my coil over front conversion I was advised by dave to make the mounts long to spread the load across more of the front, this is because then the spring plates were used they took a lot of the force but now coil overs are used all the force is back on that pivot point and that is not very think steel under the pivot point....

Simon

Hmmmm. Good point Simon. I did have some longer brackets from Biddleboy but decided not to use them as they needed spacers made as the coilovers want to sit at different positions because of the top mounts being angled differently.

There is hardly any weight on the front so will they really need re-enforcing???? The brackets are 4mm thick and there is plenty of weld there. I guess i could weld a metal plate under the pivot point to help???? Anybody else think there is a problem with the setup i have??? Would be good to know now rather than later i guess.

I may just add the extra plate underneath anyway as its better to be safe than sorry.  :p

Jason  ;D

JAMIE B.

This is what I did..........
(the bolt goes right through the bulkhead)
I too would strongly recommend uprating this bracket, for your own saftey at least.

Attachments

• coiloverbracket.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 6,638

jason_l

Thanks Jamie.

I think i will be uprating it then. The mounts are about 4mm thick and are pretty strong already but i think the way to go will be a plate underneath that strengthens the whole area!

Phaeton

Staff member
Yeah agreed Max, bout time he got on with it & stopped messing about doing things like work & having a life.  ;D ;D

Alan...

jason_l

Thanks for comments guys, Even you Alan  ::) :D

Im still unsure about the caterham front but i might give it a try if i can get a cheapy nosecone that i can cut about and try. No point spending stupid money on a new one just to cut it up.

Max, you need to add some updates also i think  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
I 'think' it may need more of a curve on it, it may look too square otherwise. But it would be a good first start.

Alan...