Freestyle GT Discusion thread

jason_l

Phaeton":dnbqreqn said:
jason_l":dnbqreqn said:
To be honest i should of just started from scratch  :eek:

Not trying to pi$$ on your bonfire, as you're doing great work, BUT I think you're right with that, however there's no going back now & we want to see it completed.

Alan...

Me and James have been saying this since the back was cut off for the starlet engine to go in. Although having the freestyle underneath to use as a starting point has helped out. And don't worry i know there is no going back, and it WILL get finished. :D

jason_l

Phaeton":2o1u3581 said:
I think you should name it Trigger's Broom.

Alan...

:D

Its already nicknamed Project 'Deathwish' by alot of people. It also gets called the 'Demon' from time to time :eek:

biddleboy

well jason those design sketches you did looks the dogs bol.....s i do like the final look keep up the good work

jason_l

biddleboy":3qnkezx1 said:
well jason those design sketches you did looks the dogs bol.....s i do like the final look keep up the good work

Thanks mate. Im pretty certain i will be going with the first design as i need to make a front nosecone anyway and there is no point adding stupid amounts of weight so will probably never get round to the second design.

I have already sourced some different style mirrors with the intention of dropping them down to the position shown in the second sketch. Just need to check IVA regs before i order them up as no point moving the mirrors if its going to fail IVA  :D

Mini Mad Max

Hi,
I've got round to this job on my buggy and need to know some stuff:
4183_214129340472_587840472_7072854_4379823_n.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of bolt and nut i need to go through the rose joint? Any other bits needed that go through the rosejoint? I have everything else sorted for alans rear tracking arms... just need this,
Thanks guys,
Max :D

Steves2580

Jason,

Engine is looking smart!!
I know it must be frustrating for you, but keep your chin up, it will be well worth it in the end!!

Have a relaxing weekend!!

Steve.

jason_l

Phaeton":3pgrw7qu said:

What's that chemical "WANT SOME!"

Alan...

Will get the details from it Alan when im up there on Tuesday. Its actually a Toilet cleaner and descaler but it smells really strong!!!!! It smells and looks very similar to a alloy wheel cleaner i have used before. Its perfect for cleaning up alloy parts if you don't leave it on too long but don't think its that good against bare steel as it rusts it almost instantly.

Jason :D

Phaeton

Staff member
Jason,

Have you decided how to get the water from the engine to the rad yet, I still want to go front mounted rad but can't see a 'good' way to make it happen.

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":37jx0sqi said:
Jason,

Have you decided how to get the water from the engine to the rad yet, I still want to go front mounted rad but can't see a 'good' way to make it happen.

Alan...

Hi Alan,

Yes got a great idea. You can see in the pictures that the radiator hoses turn back on themselves and go behind the radiator. At the central point they will go through the flat bulkhead part and will enter the car at the centre, just below the steering rack. Have already checked and i have just enough room to make a hole that is slightly larger than the pipes and put some edging on it. This means that the metal won't cut through the pipe over time with vibration. As my centre coloumn is raised up i have LOADS of room to run the coolant pipes straight down the centre of the car. There is also room for the brake pipes, wiring, gear cables etc. This will then be housed in, forming a centre divide down the car that will cover the lot. Might make the pedals slightly tighter but the cover will narrow at the end allowing more room for my feet.

I don't know how you would get around this as obviously you have the standard mini gear shifter in the way, mine is raised up allowing clearance. The only way i can see you doing it is having a channel running under the buggy that will house the coolant pipes and protect them from grounding out. Will lower the ground clearance though!

Phaeton

Staff member
Don't fancy underneath, I know I do little (read none) offroad, but that is currrently. I still fancy PCT & maybe some green laning if there are any that the farmers haven't closed down. I'm looking at making some side pods as storage & maybe incorporate a flow & return into these to get to the front. I was looking at trying to lift the gear change to go under in similar fashion to what you're going to do, but it just doesn't work with a Mini.

Alan...

jason_l

I would be wary of running the pipes under too Alan! The Toyota engine i went for has literally worked out for the front mount setup completely by accident. It was never my intention to run a front mount......it just sort of happened when we realised that there is LOADS of room down the middle.

Be interested to see what you come up with Alan :)

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
If you're going to go IVA then you need to have an interior mirror with suitable views, you'll have to look at the manual for the full definition, nless of course you can convince them it's a commercial vehicle.  ;D

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":dip6g6aa said:
If you're going to go IVA then you need to have an interior mirror with suitable views, you'll have to look at the manual for the full definition, nless of course you can convince them it's a commercial vehicle.  ;D

Alan...

Really??? Bollox, i thought it was drivers side mirror and one other? Might have to just rotate the intercooler downwards for IVA then and then just rotate it back into place afterwards.

jason_l

might not be so daft, planning on having a Camera system built in anyway  ;D

Im going to have to read the IVA manual a LOT more me thinks :(

jason_l

OK just read it again.

It states: A interior mirror must be fitted(see note 3)

then note 3 states: The interior mirror must be positioned as far as is practical to afford the best possible view to the rear, if the interior rear-view mirror does not provide any rearward vision its presence shall not be required.

So basically, WIN!!!! :D

Jason

Angel Boy

jason_l":1seuf451 said:
OK just read it again.

It states: A interior mirror must be fitted(see note 3)

then note 3 states: The interior mirror must be positioned as far as is practical to afford the best possible view to the rear, if the interior rear-view mirror does not provide any rearward vision its presence shall not be required.

So basically, WIN!!!! :D

Jason

Agree, many of the Hoods are now being built with no windscreen, just fly screens and as a result they either have a interior mirror on a stalk or larger then "normal" wing mirrors to make sure they cover all the aspects of the "cone" test.

Andy

Danny

Administrator
I threw my rear view mirror away...lol

I used to catch my head on it all the then if foing 70mph (cough cough) it would self adjust so now I just use the wing mirrors and turn my head when needed!

Danny