Freestyle GT Discusion thread

jason_l

Thanks for that info. I thought it had to be covered or out of reach but looks like i need to remove it for the test. I reckon a joiner will be fine there.

The side covers will have a few small bolts that just hold them in place. Im going to bend up a few brackets to fit under them, but to be honest they are fine just sat there. Requires quite alot of force to pull them off thou

Jasongh.

Steves2580

Awesome work Jason,

You are really heading in the right direction! ;)
I just hope the IVA man is ok with a connector in the brake line, a mate just about to put his locost through the IVA, I'm sure he has made a spare brake line without the valve in, just for the test!

Another week with that progress and you'll be burning about the car park ;D

Steve ;D

jason_l

I hope the connecter will be fine. I have bought a straight union that the two lin[move][/move]es will just fit into. The lines will be covered up but i dont know if they inspect the whole lines?

Jason

Steves2580

That would be a question for Alistair (Wagon), he watched the IVA on his Freestyle!

I'll drop him a text and get him to fill us in ;)

Steve ;D

wagon

Hi lads!

Been a bit busy with other stuff lately and haven't dropped in for a bit!

Buggy is coming on really well Jason!

Re the Brakes and IVA, It seemed like this was one of the things that he looked at quite "in depth"

However, If I remember correctly, he didn't go out of his way to inspect anything that was particular hard to get to - pretty sure he didn't remove the nose cone despite me using quick release fittings.

My thoughts would be....
if you could find a way to hide it, hide it and hope he doesn't look, without being defeatist, you might fail for something anyway so if you get it through he wont retest something that he's already passed if you don't change it.

failing that, as Steve says might be safest, but will teh bias be OK without it? He did check the F/R force bias.

Something I was surprised about was that I passed without a split diagonal system.

Hope that is of some help.... probably not a lot :)

jason_l

Hi mate,

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a brake union that is a simple join piece so just connect one line to the other. I dont see it being a problem if he see's the join anyway. My only concern is the brake bias front to back without the valve. Going to leave the valve in at the moment and get it all up and runnimg and then maybe get my mate to test the brake ratio as he is a mot tester. If all else fails i may have to leave it in, set it up and then box it in so much that it takes ages to get too that its just not worth the hassle.

Jason

jason_l

Yes thats what im thinking. And then use several different security bolts. We use alot of different security bolts at work for the exhibits. Some of them i had never seen before till i started work there. If i use enough random ones it would be a huge workup to get to it. ha.

Jason

jason_l

Or another option i could do is create a false panel that covers the whole area behind the seat. so it looks just like a thick panel. would cover up the whole brake line and bias gubbins. Might even be able to fit a few more things in as well.

Mini Mad Max

Keep the copper pipes. You could paint them silver. I've seen that done before and it looks less like a plumber has done it :p If you get them remade from alloy, that's added time and expense on something that already works fine!! If you still don't like it once the car is done you can change it then. And when you drive it i bet you will care a lot less about what the coolant pipes are made from :p My two pence worth ;)
Max

jason_l

Yes thats what i was thinking. They wont be seen anyway. My only concern is will the soldered joins take the vibrations?

Jason

Steves2580

Great update Jason!!

I'd keep the copper pipes, as Max says more expense for no reason!

If you are worried about the vibrations and the solder, why not braze them?
Brazing is more malleable than solder, but solder isn't bad with a little movement ;)

Looking great fella, be zooming round in no time ;D

Steve ;D

jason_l

Well if i have your approval Steve then i will keep them. :)

I have mounted tje clips on rubber spacers so should help a little. Will see how it all goes i guess. Im just waiting on a load of parts for the coolant lines now so i have started other jobs. Started looking at the clutch line but it is almost like 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Jason

Mini Mad Max

Brazing and the rubber blocks ought to do it! Many people use copper pipes for budget coolant system and i've not heard of them springing leaks all the time, in fact i have a ckc mag with an article on coolant systems and it talks about using copper pipes. I'll flick through it later and see if there are any tips :)
Good luck with the clutch line! Hope you get the demon razzing round a car park soon :D
Max

Mini Mad Max

Had a read of the article last night... It didn't say anything about solder fatigue. The technical editor man ran a copper pipe set up in his gtm coupe without a problem. I think you're safe ;)
One thing it did recommend is to solder on compression olives onto the end of thr pipes so it acts like a bead and helps prevent the hose from pulling off.
Max

jason_l

Thanks Max thats awesome news.

I have cut up some straight joiners and already soldered them onto the ends to act like beads to stop the hoses coming off. If you look at my pictures in the build thread you will see what i mean. :)

Jason

Phaeton

Staff member
Jason,

Just a thought ate you putting a bridge over the pipes? Only as that is probably where you will want to rest your left foot.

Alan...

Lilspeed

Nice work as always Jason!

Keep at it ;) Have to say it was big smiles when mine moved under it's own steam for the first time, looking forward to your video! 8)