Norfolk Freestyle Discussion Thread

rotoryboy

I think I am going to extend the chassis as you did and put in a bespoke tank and radiator combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaeton

Staff member
Have you got the MGF already? If you have I know somebody who you can send the ECU to who will disable all the immobiliser stuff so it's not needed for about £35 [would need to check]

Alan...

rotoryboy

So far I have the 1.8 VVC Engine, gearbox, subframe, ECU (MKC104001) and clocks and am wondering if I buy the whole loom like Steve did (Mary), then rape it Or if I just have a loom made from scratch as I dont need most of it??

Steves2580

I'm no auto electrician, so I went the easy route!
Kept the loom, cut back any wire's I didn't need, but I used two running to the rear to supply the rad fan.

Simples ;)

Steve ;D

rotoryboy

Phaeton":3moynfj4 said:
Have you got the MGF already? If you have I know somebody who you can send the ECU to who will disable all the immobiliser stuff so it's not needed for about £35 [would need to check]

Alan...

Hi Alan

Sounds interesting, let me know

Thanks

rotoryboy

Right, small change of plan. Just purchased a partially stripped (no panels, seats or roof) MGF VVC so I now have a V5, Wiring loom, engine, box, fuel tank, subframe and ecu with alarm box etc.

Pretty good deal I feel and helps me know end ;D

Right, onto fabrication then

Phaeton

Staff member
Good show means you have everything to tick the boxes now. Somebody will probably buy the Mini subframe as it's been converted to disc

Alan

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

rotoryboy

Phaeton":353pqoxo said:
Good show means you have everything to tick the boxes now. Somebody will probably buy the Mini subframe as it's been converted to disc

Alan

Ah, good point. What's it worth as a matter of interest. Will probably sell the subframe with engine etc as a whole.

Is it easy enough to change the Mini front hubs to the MGF front hubs?

Phaeton

Staff member
I got £250 for mine but that was with a good 1275 engine, adjustable bottom arms, heavy duty tie bars, rose jointed adjustable steering arms, all poly bushed along with the discs, Golf callipers & braised hoses.

Alan...

Steves2580

rotoryboy":5xkietsx said:
Phaeton":5xkietsx said:

Alan

Ah, good point. What's it worth as a matter of interest. Will probably sell the subframe with engine etc as a whole.

Is it easy enough to change the Mini front hubs to the MGF front hubs?

Hi Mark,

I didn't change to front hubs! The braking capacity is more than enough from the mini hubs!
The MOT man said that the percentage braking for the weight of the vehicle is well over the required amount ;)
I just made adapter hubs for the rear to convert nut centres!

Steve ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve had bought a new set of alloys at Mini PCD so he changed the PCD on the rear to fit. I went the other way, left the standard Mini hubs on but had adaptors made to pick up the MGF PCD. Different way to kill the same cat.

Alan...

rotoryboy

I only asked as the PCD adapters from 101.6 to anything seem rare, so to 95.25 is like finding diamond encrusted rocking horse poo

Any ideas? I have found someone in the states, but cost wise I have a pair of MGF front hubs for free

rotoryboy

Steve and Alan, I need your help. How the hell do you get the fuel tank out of an MGF??? I have managed to get the whole wiring loom out in around 3 hours but this tank is driving me mad!!!

d5cde33e-ca3a-9191.jpg

Phaeton

Staff member
I just ripped the f**cker out, I wasn't using it so didn't care, all I wanted was the £15 worth of fuel in it. But looking on the t'internat, they expand when fitted into the whole & used, the way to get them out is to leave them open & they will shrink.

PCD adapters I got mine from These guys they don't do them on ebay but emailed direct £75 including postage.

I looked very briefly at fitting MGF drive flanges to Mini hubs without access to a machine shop it's a none starter or at least it was for me.

Alan...

Steves2580

rotoryboy":3vm08nim said:
Steve and Alan, I need your help. How the hell do you get the fuel tank out of an MGF??? I have managed to get the whole wiring loom out in around 3 hours but this tank is driving me mad!!!

d5cde33e-ca3a-9191.jpg

The tank is a pain to get out, I ended up using a bar to lever it out!! Might have even bent some of the body out of the way!
If I remember rightly it was a bottom corner first to come out, beware I left some skin on the body shell!!

Have fun, don't swear too much ;)

Steve ;D