Any Road legal freestyle buggies for sale ?

250buggys

I would not recommend running no antifreeze as it has corrosion inhibitors, will stop the water freezing in the winter which may result in a cracked block or popping the core plugs out.

I also wouldn't bother with the addition as this is just masking the problem, you just need to get to the route cause so your buggy is more reliable so you don't get caught out and have to call RAC.

Can you post a pic of the back end of buggy as may be able to see if there is anything blocking the very limited air flow the buggy gets.

Did you test with a sheet of A4 to make sure the mechanical and electric fans are pushing and pulling the air the correct way?

I have wired a dash switch as an override for the fan but not used it yet as the cooling system is pretty stable.

Phaeton

Staff member
An overflow header tank may help, as a small amount being pushed out is quite normal, I used to run a heater matrix on the heater circuit in the airflow just to add a bit extra cooling, think I even fitted a fan to it. I did in the end go front mounted rad which solved all the cooling problems, but then effectively lowered the car, as I never went offroad apart from when Danny forced me off it never mattered. I always wanted to put them down the side of the passenger side & make a feature of them, but never got around to it.

Phaeton

Staff member
Similar, my idea was to take both down the same side & then cover with a heat shield like you'd have on a Seven type exhaust, I'd just be concerned at kids grabbing hold of that pipe when just parked up, or catching your leg on it as you get out, no idea if you would but I know I took all the skin off my leg on the Robin Hood exhaust

Leigh1299

After an afternoon of investigation, I think it’s just the radiator cap that’s allowing coolant to escape out through the centre of it . I put sealant over the centre and allowed to cure , went on a 5 mile trip came home and sat idling on the drive for 10 mins and only a small amount came out under the sealant. I’ve purchased the 15lb cap as I have the 13lb currently to see if this helps !
Thank you for all the help !

Leigh1299

I’m pleased to say no more overheating issues. , sits at 60 degrees after an hour of blasting around :)
The next issue has arisen !!! I’m struggling to get it into reverse or first once the engine has been running for about 40 mins , I have no problems until I’m guessing the oil is getting hot and thinner . What oil grade are you mini engine guys running and are you all running oil coolers ? Anyone else had the same problems ?

Leigh1299

I’m using that oil , I did an oil and filter just before getting it on the road . I have changed the clutch fluid also as this was a bit cloudy , I’ve replaced the slave cylinder as I thought that might be a weak point as it’s old and not been in use for a few years .
Do you think it’s worth getting an oil cooler ?

250buggys

Difficult to say you don't want the oil to not get up to operating temperature so may have the opposite effect.

The a series is fairly unique that it shares the oil for engine and gearbox.

Phaeton

Staff member
You can get a thermostatically controlled oil valve, think Danny used to run one at one point