Freestyle GT Build

jason_l

Then came the thottle pedal, i decided to use the Starlet one but modify it to suit. I have worked out i need about 50mm of movement on the thottle body to fully open it so need to work out this on the pedal side. I have started modding it but need to look at option to connect the cable itself. It also wasn't lining up with the other pedals so i have spaced it off the bulkhead by 25mm on a spacer i made.

DSC01856.jpg

Just need to work out the cable and its all done on the pedal side of things, minus brake cables.

All in position................
DSC01851.jpg

Exhaust bracket has been finally finished off also, when i orignally made this it was in a different position but didn't work so has had to be remade to suit.

welded up.......
DSC01821.jpg

and fitted in place, another thing crossed off the list........
DSC01825.jpg

Then i made some brackets for the battery to be fitted into place. I made them slightly bigger than the battery so if i ever change the battery and its slightly bigger then it should still fit. I just need to add a few bits of foam at the bottom to hold the battery securely in place.

welded bracket pieces.......
DSC01837.jpg

with straps........
DSC01838.jpg

and battery added in place, just needs the cover/footrest making now..........
DSC01839.jpg

Made a bracket to fit the interior mirror to and got that welded in place, there is surprisingly alot of rearward vision as it sort of looks under the intercooler. Hopefully this will be ok for the IVA test, fins out one day........

all fitted in place........
DSC01849.jpg

DSC01850.jpg

Finally got round to making the oil catch tank bracket and that was also welded in place..........

fits nicely next to the fuel reg, just needs the breather vent added when i get one.......
DSC01834.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

Then it was all put back together and is currently wrapped up awaiting to be worked on once again. Sorry i didn't update sooner, been so busy the last few weeks.

Jason :D

jason_l

*** Update Time ***

Well about time i added an update i guess, got to keep Steve off my back :lol:

Chrsitmas over and done with so i was straight back to work, Well monday and tuesday i had off work but as the girlfriend was working i decided to go into wotk and crack on with the build.

As i got the clutch and brake pedals all sorted i thought i would finish off the set and get the 'Go pedal' done and fitted.

Started off with getting it roughly tacked together and fitted.......
DSC01864.jpg

Then created a bracket to hold the cable in place.......
DSC01867.jpg

After a bit of head scratching and trying to work out where to place the stop i simply just added a piece to the bracket. Has a rubber buffer piece on the end so it won't damage the mechanism. The whole setup will be housed in the side panels so will be out of sight and should help protect it.

stop added.......
DSC01870.jpg

Here is the mechanism on its own, will be covered either side eventually when i get round to it.........
DSC01871.jpg

Thottle cable is all cut to length and fitted in place, im not 100% happy with how it fits to the bracket but i will reweld the bracket at a later date when James can do some more alloy welding for me. Picture doesn't really show it but the cable doesn't point at the thottle body 100% true.
DSC01877.jpg

A Random shot of it in the workshop, love the stance so much :D ........
DSC01875.jpg

Well that was one more thing crossed off the list, then for the next, fitting the fuel cell in place. Fuel cell was designed to fit in the back compartment i had fabricated up but i think i measured it ever so slightly out so i have had to grind a piece off the chassis and move it slightly. The piece was where the original rear chassis bolted to but i have cut it off and added a strengthening piece further forward so now the fuel cell has a bit of room so i can create a firewall.

Bottom rail added..........
DSC01872.jpg

then with both pieces added, plate on the floor is the piece i removed as it was rubbing against the tank....
DSC01882.jpg

then with the fuel cell bolted roughly in place, will get round to making a firewall when i make all the other panels...
DSC01883.jpg

I was starting to get a bit fed up with working on the buggy recently, even though i seem to be really cracking on it just seems never ending and the list of jobs to do seems to just be growing in size! So i thought i would pick one of the big jobs off the list and just concentrate on that, rather than working on bits here and there. So looking down the list i chose a job and set to work.

jason_l

*** Building a nosecone from scratch ***

Now where do i start, have the rough idea in my head of what to do and know what needs to be done! Design is already roughed out thanks to my bro and his earlier sketch's.

So with this image in my head i set off........
22253_480804040472_587840472_11067513_5016265_n.jpg

Started by removing the radiator and creating a dumby one from thick ply wood. This is so that i don't get resin/fibreglass all over the thing and gives a good base for me to mount the other templates from....
DSC01884.jpg

Then quickly knocked up a few pieces to start me off..........
DSC01891.jpg

After bolting these together i realised that the bottom piece was the wrong shape and needed to be more rounded across the front if i was going to stick to the sketch my bro did and not have a flat edge to it at the front.

So then soon after made version mk2, this has the correct shaped bottom piece but the side panels where not correct.........
DSC01897.jpg

Bottom piece looks the correct width and should work well, i just needed to alter the side pieces slightly.......
DSC01899.jpg

I decided to start building up the side profiles anyway and then alter the side parts later to suit.....
DSC01905.jpg

I have seen this process used several times by car builders/designers where they build up profiles from ply then add foam in between to bulk it out, then sand between the profiles and skim the whole lot to create a good solid shape to then create a fibreglass mould from and finally build a fibreglass nosecone. Long winded i know but should mean that i will have a proper mould so if i need a replacement nosecone i can easily make another.

Anyway, changed the radiator side templates and continued making templates and stacking them up, the white rod shows the form the nosecone should follow.........
DSC01909.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

What do people think? this view looks good as you can see the profile side on against the wheel, i think it will be awsome but open to comments.

DSC01914.jpg

Then added more.........
DSC01918.jpg

This side view is even better as you can actually visualise the large vent from the radiator..........
DSC01923.jpg

and one last one........
DSC01924.jpg

Thought i should update now as anymore pictures and i think you would all fall asleep.

Hopefully tomorrow during my lunch break and monday i should get even more done, watch this space :D

jason_l

** Little update **

Well yesterday on my lunch break i got a couple more parts added, not much but it really changed the look of it by just adding a few more little parts. Can actually visualise it a bit better now, still looks a little weird from a few angles but i think its on its way. Hopefully i will be back in the workshop bank holiday monday to start cracking on with it further............

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01937.jpg

Comments always welcome :D

jason_l

*** Another Update ***

Well, Sarah was at work again yesterday so i got up nice and early and went into work with her so i could carry on with the front nosecone.

Made the template and cut the vent profiles and started adding them onto the buggy........
DSC01939.jpg

Until i reached the other side. As you can see the vent is going to be huge. Could have made it smaller but it works out well with the chassis this way, will put some mesh in the front and at the top of the vent to please the IVA guys.
DSC01947.jpg

Then continued with building up the sides, still not sure if this will look right when done but hopefully find out when i add the foam inbetween the profiles. I have roughly added the side panels and side scoop as well so i can get a better idea of what it will look like.......
DSC01952.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

Im thinking about bringing the nosecone along the sides slightly, where the cardboard panel is on the side so that it is all one piece front....
DSC01962.jpg

Thats it for the moment, may get a few more little bits done this week but im back to actually doing WORK today so progress will be back to the steady pace before christmas. Hopefully the foam sheets will arrive this week so i can add them when the profiles are all added.

Going to start looking into doing some graphics for the sides, still unsure of what to do but have a few idea's :D

jason_l

*** Small Update ***

Well not really much to report as i have had some other things to sort out these last couple of weeks.

Anyway, the foam sheets arrived only a day after i paid for them. Another company that has come up trumps for me with this build!

Started adding the foam to the profiles with PVA glue........
DSC01989.jpg

more parts added..........
DSC01990.jpg

Then roughly butcher with a hacksaw blade...........
DSC01991.jpg

Then using a long flat file begin to smooth out.........
DSC01992.jpg

Starting to take shape..........
DSC01993.jpg

and thats about all i have done since the last update!

Now it looks like i have been slacking, but i haven't before anyone says anything! Now the reason why i haven't done much is that i have had problems with my lexus. Its been playing up for a while now and continues to do so. Me and Sarah car share to go to work so most of the time my lexus just sits there doing nothing. However there is the odd time when i need a second car. My lexus if left for anymore than a week will be completely DEAD. not even enough charge for the doors to open, its that bad! I have checked the usual, battery, alternator etc but nothing has helped. Its getting stupid and ****** me off so much that i have decided to get rid of it. As the car has loads of miles on it and is only a low spec model i have decided to break it for parts as its worth over twice as much this way. Seems wrong to brake a completely good car but seems like the way to get the most money from it. I have really loved this car but its come to the point that i just need to get shot of it and move on!

This means that i need a new car and this has left me with the hard decision of what to get, well i say hard decision but i already know what it will be! Now i have loved the MX5 mk1 since i can remember and i think now is the time for me to get one! Will be viewing a tidy one this weekend and fingers crossed!

All of the above means that work on the Buggy will stop for a few months or so while i break the car down and sell all the parts. Bit of work i know but i should have a nice new car to show for all my efforts. Will start a new thread with all the progress so people can see the death and birth of the cars!

Will keep you all updated when i can.

jason_l

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
:(

Well, its been a while, who am i kidding its been flippin AGES!!!!!!!

*** Update ***

Well as most of you know the work on this has been VERY slow. What with breaking the lexus (STILL) keeping the mazda running and clean, house hunting, work, etc i just haven't had the time to do anything on this.

A guy from work recently got back from a week off where him and a mate just drived and camped across Europe and after seeing the pictures im dying to do something similar! I mentioned that i would love to do something similar in the buggy and he thought that sounded Amazing. I said that the mrs wouldn't want to go with me and by the time we got to Dover she would be ready to turn back. He said that he would go with me and be the co-pilot, to which i agreed! He is now  dying to see the buggy finished and even though its a long way off is keen to help. He has been a LEGEND and has started coming into the workshop on his lunch breaks and helping out and even staying late some evenings with me to help out. He has kept me motivated and i owe this last update mainly to him!!!!

Started off by getting the MR2 (SW20) shortshifter fitted to the gear linkage.
DSC02233.jpg

After trying it fitted it was clear that its just not going to fit and eventually i refitted the standard version but with the aftermarket spacer fitted which gives the best feel and has reduced the movement also which is what i wanted :D
DSC02246.jpg

Then my bro kindly donated these to the cause, haven't fitted them yet but will soon get them on there!
DSC02271.jpg

Then decided to start mounting the front arch's. Every time i end up taking the cover off or moving the buggy i usually end up with them falling on the floor. Probably best to get them mounted then i guess :rolleyes:

Started off with roughly fitting the brackets to the hub/brake and tacking them in place and then building them up from there........
DSC02249.jpg

Should have taken more pictures of the next part but i had to concentrate fully to get it done properly. After much head scratching it was however finally sorted. Took a while to work out the correct placement of the brackets as they need to sit in exactly the correct position to hold the arch's at the right angle but got it in the end.

Bracket welded up.........
DSC02268.jpg

the other side roughly tacked holding the arch in the correct position........
DSC02273.jpg

This picture shows how it fits to the arch, just 2x mate bolts. Very simple idea but it works and as the arch's are so thick they are nice and strong. Don't think this would have worked with the other thin style arch's.

DSC02278.jpg

This is the template i made to ensure the arch's sit in the correct position when fitted to meet the IVA regs, bit of a pain to use but it means they are correct. Have mounted them about 15mm from the tyre so look pretty slick as they are nice and close :D

DSC02283.jpg

and all fitted in its final position........

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02287.jpg

Looks so much better having the arch's in their final location and really helps visuaulise the front end more.

jason_l

So then attention was turned to continuingwith the front end. Paul (guy from work) has been doing this mainly himself and he has really worked hard.

More parts all hammered in place..........
DSC02270.jpg

and with the arch's fitted..........
DSC02281.jpg

hard at work...........
DSC02296.jpg

and roughly smoothed out and starting to add the filler, more currently on order...........
DSC02299.jpg

Still need to build up the templates around the side but its getting close, then comes all the fibreglass work which takes all the time............... <_<

Also started looking at the handbrake assembly, finally got my mk4 handbrake cables and after offering them up they didn't quite fit. So a quick filling and sanding later and they where good to go.........
DSC02293.jpg

with the cable fitted.........
DSC02292.jpg

and back on the buggy........
DSC02295.jpg

DSC02294.jpg

After the first attempt at fixing the cables i have had to rethink the routing and need to change the brackets and modify the chassis ever so slightly but we are currently sorting this and should have updates soon :D

So how's that for an update then guys and gals?

On a side note after several offers and waiting for over 2 weeks me and my girlfriend have had our house offer accepted :thumbsup: Have also sorted the mortgage as well and just need to exchange contracts and will hopefully get the keys in 3-4 weeks with any luck. We are both over the moon as this house has so much potential and will be awesome to finally have our own house. It has rear access via a small gravel road at the back and has a garage at the bottom of the garden. Its pretty run down but will do for the moment and plans are to later extend into a double garage/workshop. This is good news as the buggy will now have a dedicated living space. However now comes the bad news with this! The house needs a LOT of work!!!! We have maxed out all our money with the deposit but it means the mortgage repayments are now £130 cheaper a month which was just too good to miss! I now wont be buying anything for the buggy for quite some time but will be concentrating on getting the house sorted. I reckon it will be at least 3-4 months before we even move in, it needs that much work. Anyway, it had to be done and is the correct thing to do in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry for the HUGE update, so what do people think?

Oh, and the Lexus is now soon to be scrapped as its just getting in the way now and needs to go.

jason_l

*** Little Update ***

Well as we still don't have a completion date on the house a bit more progress has been made on the buggy :D

Again i need to say a big thankyou to Paul from my work as he has been awesome and has continued working away like a machine and is down in the workshop every lunch time to work on the buggy.

He has almost finished off adding the foam to the ply templates and i now only have to make a few more parts and its on to the long job of filling, sanding, filling, sanding etc........

DSC02361.jpg

DSC02365.jpg

This won't be the final shape but is just the template, after i have fibreglassed the mould i can shape the ends better.

We then started working on finishing off the handbrake. First thing to do was to remove 2 of the fillet triangles as they where in the way, they will be replaced later in a slightly differnt place.
DSC02342.jpg

Cables where then roughly routed from the calipers to the handbrake lever......
DSC02344.jpg

Space is going to be really tight around that area as most of the wiring all goes down the middle part.

Then had to work out how to make and mount the bracket that holds the gear cables in place, luckily the gearbox is just in the right position and there are a few bolt holes spare so i made a bracket that mounts directly to it.
DSC02346.jpg

Handebrake cables are now nice and secure. We connected it all up and after a small modification to the handbrake lever its all done and in place.
DSC02294.jpg

Just need to add a few clips to the back to hold the cables in place and its there.

Then turned attention to sorting out the rear camber, the camber adjusters where maxed out and the camber was still shockingly bad. So took the adjusters off the back and modified then slightly so that they can now be adjusted to get the camber spot on.

Don't really have any pictures before we modified it but here's what it looks like now, its just been done by eye at the moment but will be setup properly later on.
DSC02351.jpg

Then decided to look at mounting the air filter. Was going to just have the filter come straight out the side of the frame but don't think Vosa will like that and it would be in front of the rear wheel so would get covered in crap when driving about. Decided to push it back ever so slightly but it means the side scoop will feed cool air directly onto it.

Welded bracket directly to the frame, turbo can be seen in the background, still need some sort of humped hose to go over the oil filter but its getting there.
DSC02354.jpg

with the filter added.......
DSC02358-1.jpg

air scoop feeds directly onto it.........
DSC02360.jpg

And thats it for the moment, well sort of, been sorting a few other parts out. Got a huge tub of bodyfiller on the way to start filling out the nose cone shape. Going to take ages to sort out but worth it in the end.

Then im also in the process of getting the driveshafts made, whoop whoop! Have a contact from 16v mini forum and have confirmed he can make them. Just need to measure up and clean them up slightly and then they are getting sent off to be made :D Will be good to have this done as it means im that little bit closer to the finish line. Will probably get them cryo treated so they are a bit stronger

Well thats it for the moment........... more coming soon :D

jason_l

Another little update, and it may be one of the last now for a while :(

Looks like we are exchanging on the house on the 24th of this month so the buggy will pretty much stop after that date as i will be mainly beavering away on the house to try and get it in a state where we can move in, probably about 4-5 months work!  will try and get a few things done here and there but the house is the priority at the moment.

Well the HUGE tub of bodyfiller arrived last week and me and Paul (Mainly Paul to be honest) started to add the filler to the nosecone. Now comes some sanding and more filling.............
DSC02368.jpg

starting to add it.........
DSC02373.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02379.jpg

Still need to build the shape up around the front area and ignore the shape at the top of the nosecone near the passenger compartment as that will be trimmed to shape after the fibreglass stage.

Also had a few more little parts arrive, black end caps for the front top arms, clips for the coolant lines and a piece of fuel hose for the fuel pressure valve that mounted on the fuel cell.
DSC02372.jpg

Started looking at the wiring also this week while Paul was mainly working away on the nosecone. The injector wiring was my first job as i needed to extend the wiring as they where a bit stretched.

this is how it looked before.........
DSC02370.jpg

and after.............
DSC02376.jpg

Then continued working around the engine cleaning up parts and lengthening/shortening certain wires so they suit the buggy better.

Then came a package from James at CJPerformance. Thermostat housing as the one on the engine has seen better days. and the ECU connection bloack that i have been after now for nearly a year! Finally i can now finish off the engine loom and hopefully start the wiring for the lights,indicators etc.....

DSC02380.jpg

The wires on the connection block where really short so first job was to extend them all so i have something to work with...........
DSC02383.jpg

Will try this week to crack on with the wiring but probably won't have the time as i have other jobs that need my attention.

Another job i started to do was to get the driveshafts measured up and get them ready to send off. Cleaned and prepped the mini ones with no problems and then did the starlet ones. Thats where i had a problem. Went to test fit the driveshafts into the gearbox and guess what! Yep they don't fit! Turns out there are 2 different types of starlet driveshafts and when i changed the gearbox over for a LSD version i didn't get the driveshafts and the ones i have are the wrong type. Managed to drain the gearbox oil and remove the driveshaft cups to count the splines. Found out i need a set of 23 spline shafts and after lots of searching and messaging people i have 1 on the way and maybe the second as well.

Already confirmed with the guy who is going to do the work that he can do them and he is currently patiently waiting for them.

Few more little updates soon and then will be on hold for a while as the house takes over my life......LOL

jason_l

*** Mini Update ***

Well as most of you now know i have a house and most of my time and money is currently being spent on that. I have managed to do a few little things on the buggy though and will continue to get a few little bits done, whenever i get time, so not that often then! The house has needed a lot more work then we ever thought and is going to be a real big project and although the buggy is taking a back burner it won't get left or sold! I can promise that :D

Anyway, back to the update.

Got a length of 28mm copper pipe delivered and some bends/joiners with it. This will be forming the coolant lines that run down the centre of the buggy. They are the perfect size and the joiners can be cut in half and soldered on so that they create a better fit for the silicone hose to join to, as shown here...........

DSC02396.jpg

just need to work out routing the pipes and hopefully get to it. Going to be tight with everything running down the centre but will keep it tidy if i can pull it off.

Also managed to pick up a connector for the fan switch, comes straight from a fiat cinqy but plugs striaght into the switch mounted to the side of the rad.
DSC02401.jpg

Also been looking at the steering wheel, needs to have a radiused edge but its not very IVA friendly so i have started to make a pad piece that will make it meet the regs. Ignore the blue colour at the moment as its going to get trimmed in black when i get some material.
DSC02402.jpg

After IVA i will be switching to a removable go-kart steering wheel so it gives more room, will be terrible at speed but should be ok for corners and most normal speeds.

Also finally got the driveshafts sorted via my contact on 16v mini forum. Guy named Adam who is a complete legend. Sent him both shafts and gave him the desired lengths i needed. He cut, sleeved them and welded them up. He has done shafts for honda engined mini's and starbo engined mini's so these should be all good. Was going to get them cryo treated but at £160 for the 2 i think i might just run the risk. Can get them remade for less than that anyway.

stripping down the starbo shafts.........
DSC02400.jpg

and the finished Demon shafts ready to assemble and fit.........
DSC02410.jpg

Paul has also managed to add more body filler to the nosecone and its really starting to take shape now, hopefully won't be long and i can move the buggy to my garage and start taking a mould from it.

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02406.jpg

Sort of a weird update as i have been working on lots of little things but i only get like 20 minutes here or 15 minutes there to do work. Just thought you all should know that i haven't given up on this :D

jason_l

Right then..................

Think its that time, finally.

*** Update Time ***

Well with all my time being spent on sorting the house i have had very little free time, and with work being really busy as well i just haven't had the chance to get the buggy out and get any work done on it. The workshop is rammed and there is currently no room to get to the buggy to do any work so its just been sat under the dust sheet for the last 5-6 months.

Well today Sarah was dragged into work for the day and its too cold here (-8) to do any brickwork today so i had the day to myself. Rather than just loaf out for the day i decided to go into work with Sarah and get some work done on the buggy. Really glad i did as i managed to geta few bits done and had a good day of just cracking on with it.

First thing to do was get the workshop cleared and get the buggy out and see what was what......

how it started off the day...............

2012-02-11075742.jpg

2012-02-11075749.jpg

2012-02-11075828.jpg

2012-02-11075817.jpg

2012-02-11075844.jpg

2012-02-11075833.jpg

A few weeks back i managed to find 5 minutes to cover the steering wheel centre in foam and then suede so now hopefully its a bit more IVA friendly.

2012-02-11075905.jpg

First thing to do today was get everything sorted out as i have loads of bits just everywhere in the workshop, under my desk, in box's on the buggy etc.....

2012-02-11101137.jpg

also picked these rather nice zip on coilover covers from Autosport International a few weeks back, will keep the rear coilovers all clean and scum free....

2012-02-11083154.jpg

now im all organised and everything is easy to find when i need it.

Then i started by getting the new rear painted calipers fitted.....

2012-02-11075803.jpg

Then got the lime green gear gaiter glued to the surround and on the car.............

2012-02-11134316.jpg

Started making up the compensator for the handbrake and i think i have now sorted it. Will find out hopefully soon when i find time to fit it and trial it out.....

2012-02-11131737.jpg

Got the front nosecone filled with a bit more filler and then gave it a quick sand with the orbital and just sprayed a quick coat of primer to see the rough finish. Obviously it needs a lot more work but its getting there slowly.....

2012-02-11120327.jpg

2012-02-11120333.jpg

2012-02-11120341.jpg

While sorting out the parts under my desk i found the clear cam cover that i bought a while back. Had a little think about this as it doesn't fit on the engine with my non stop tunning adjustable cam. Decided to try and cut the standard cover up to create a spacer piece and it worked a treat. Was a bit fiddly cutting it up and sanding it smooth but im glad i spent the time. It looks spot on and you wouldn't think it was the old cover cut down. It also now means that the new cam cover has retained the rubber gasket around the edge so its sealed properly around it....

before.....

2012-02-11082611.jpg

cut up, this is the remains of the old cover......

2012-02-11101012.jpg

and the finished article, looks so good in the flesh.....

2012-02-11100857.jpg

2012-02-11100823.jpg

Really happy with the finish and its another part fitted that i had lying about.

Then got the rear plate brackets welded to the rear bar.....

2012-02-11130643.jpg

2012-02-11130634.jpg

and while i had the welder out i knocked up a quick bracket for the rear tow eye and got that welded to the rear bar as well. This will be fitted after the dreaded IVA test of course.....

2012-02-11133847.jpg

2012-02-11134145.jpg

2012-02-11134200.jpg

Well that was today :D Sort of worked on a bit of everything really but was good to get some work done on the buggy and get a few parts out of their box's and fitted. Doubt i will get any time to do much work on it now till after march when work is back to normal and im not working stupid hours.

Comments welcome as always people :D

jason_l

Well, with it being my birthday last week i managed to get a 'Hall Pass' from the girlfriend and for my birthday i was allowed to spend some cash on the buggy. Go figure, its my birthday and that means i can spend my own money on me for a change lol
Anyway, managed to get a few things bought before the pass expired........
Mikalor clamps for the intercooler pipework.......
2012-02-16102124.jpg

green alloy valve caps......
2012-02-21095447.jpg

and some small headlights, only 105mm across the lens and they are very light, but are built really well and even have sidelights, dipped and main beam all in one unit. They will look awesome when i finally get them fitted..........
2012-02-22122820.jpg

2012-02-22122842.jpg

2012-02-22122832.jpg

Not many more parts i actually need now. However money or parts are not the problem, the ONLY problem is finding time to actually finish the thing and just put the parts together. Hopefully work will ease off soon and with the house ticking over i can get a few days in on the buggy :D

As always the comments are greatly recieved......... :D

jason_l

Small update.

I found about 20 minutes free this week so got a few more parts ordered and managed to make a new spoiler :D

Got these flick switches in green, not sure what i will use them for yet but will match with the rest of the green theme.

2012-03-17115241.jpg

Then i managed to find a little free time and some 10mm acrylic we had lying about. Decided to make a clear acrylic spoiler for the buggy, looks pretty good if you ask me and not too bad for a quick job. I haven't taken the backing off of most of it yet (just one end piece). Might sticker it up or do something with it??? not too sure, just need to router the edges so they have a nice radius and its all good.

Luckily we have a huge laser cutter at work so spent my lunch break sorting this out.....

being cut on the laser..........
2012-03-04153822.jpg

2012-03-04153857.jpg

Pieces cut out......
2012-03-06125252.jpg

and then all bolted together in place......

2012-03-17165124.jpg

2012-03-17165130.jpg

2012-03-17165136.jpg

2012-03-17165144.jpg

Would love to know what you guys think? :D

My big work deadline was this week and next week i can finally start taking holiday again (now have 7 weeks in total to use this year) so next week im off to find some sun but then when i return i can crack back on with the buggy finally :D

jason_l

Think its that time again :)

Well after the Stoneleigh kit car show and having a spin in Steves MGF engined buggy i was blown away. That thing goes like a rocket and it has really got me wanting mine done now. I think Steve said his was about 125bhp and that was more than enough power! However i am still keen to eventually aim for about the 200 mark. Obviously i just need to get it done first!

Well Monday was raining which meant i couldn't work on the house so decided to go into work and get some done, shame that. lol Aiming to have this built for next year in May so i can get to the show. I probably won't make it but going to try my hardest and really try to get it done.

Anyway, pictures are what people want.......

Back to sanding down, filling, sanding the nosecone.....
2012-05-03182829.jpg

2012-05-03192745.jpg

I think thats probably about as smooth as im going to get it before i add the fibreglass as there is no point getting it uber smooth just to have to spend ages on the fibreglass doing the same thing. Got a little primer on it just to see it a bit better and have to say i really do like the nosecone. I think im just going to go up the sides to where the primer stops as i think the extra bit doesn't really add much to the design.

2012-05-03195405.jpg

2012-05-03205857.jpg

2012-05-03205906.jpg

2012-05-03205850.jpg

Then started looking at mounting the headlights, only made one bracket so far but i now have the template for the second one so won't take long. Still not sure if the headlight location will pass IVA as it states they need to be max of 400mm from the edge of the car but the rear is wider than the front so unsure but if it fails i will extend them out on stalks for the retest and then put them back after the test.....

one bracket......
2012-05-07143455.jpg

clamped in place, going to grind the original bracket down slightly and weld it on.
2012-05-07143048.jpg

Makes the front look a little more complete now.....
2012-05-07143057.jpg

2012-05-07143128.jpg

2012-05-07143101.jpg

and just a random shot off the deep dish wheels with the slicks.....
2012-05-03210031.jpg

Also been working on adapting the acewell speed sensor to fit to the toyota speedo cable and im almost there with it. This means i will have a better more reliable solution for the speedo. Will get pictures next time im working on it.

Would love to get on with it some more this weekend but in a few hours im flying out to Barcelona :) Me and Sarah are going to watch the spanish F1, got a full weekend pass so should be awesome. Sarah is nuts about F1 so its more for her than me lol

And then the following weekend is when it starts to pick up some more. Have the buggy booked in with JDModified to have the engine wiring finally finished off. Hopefully this means when the key is turned the thing will actually start up. Really looking forward to this and fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. Then the plan is to shortly after this get it moved to my garage to quickly get the fibreglassing underway for the nosecone. Watch this space for more updates soon......

jason_l

Well the F1 in spain was EPIC, had an awesome time and the race was great. Would have been nice to see Mclaren do a little better but still was great. Did pick up a little something for the buggy though........

2012-05-15190304.jpg

Anyway, got back early monday morning and spent the day cleaning out my garage ready for this weekend and the possibility of getting some fibreglass work done. Its getting there, moved alot of boxes and now i think there will be just enough room to get it in there. Aim is to get it fibreglassed as quick as possible and get it back to the workshop to crack on with other parts of it.

Well back to work on Tuesday and the 'drunken' ordering i did last week on ebay was shown to its extent, luckily i didn't have much money in paypoo so it wasn't too bad really.

Started with some nut covers and green bolt/screw caps.........
2012-05-15103412.jpg

next package contained a K&N oil filter, this is huge compaired to the standard filter and even has a nut attched on the end for easy fitting/removal.....

Standard size filter on the oil filter bracket.....
2012-05-15103421.jpg

and compared to the new FAT filter.......
2012-05-15103450.jpg

might need to tweak a small bit of the frame but will fit in the end.

Also had some Harley davidson Fork clamps. These are used to relocate the indicators to the front forks. Im planning on using these as mirror mounts, they said they where for 39mm forks and the frame is made from 38mm steel but im happy to report they fit perfectly. They have a great radius on all edges so should be IVA prrof but i may need to just cover the bolts slightly.

Fresh out of the pack........
2012-05-15103714.jpg

threaded the ends M10 x 1.25........
2012-05-16122624.jpg

and fitted to the frame roughly in place.....
2012-05-16124006.jpg

2012-05-16123952.jpg

I then roughly added the mirrors i have, would love to keep these mirrors but im going for slightly larger mirrors that are on order and should be here tomorrow. Will simply screw into place and should be IVA friendly....

2012-05-16124257.jpg

2012-05-16124312.jpg

2012-05-16124306.jpg

Got a few more things to sort tomorrow and friday and then fingers crossed a large update this weekend......... :D

jason_l

Right well the last few days have been pretty manic, im shattered now and just want a couple of drinks and mong out......

Thursday the mirrors turned up, look pretty good actually and they simply just screw onto the clamps i have. Just adding a few little bits to the buggy makes it look so much more complete.

new mirrors.....

2012-05-17104921.jpg

on the buggy........

2012-05-17122520.jpg

2012-05-17122538.jpg

Also managed to get the Acewell speed sensor modified and its all ready to go, simply just fits into the speedo cable end and converts the mechanical movemement to a electrical pulse that will show the speed the buggy is doing.

2012-05-17073350.jpg

Also got a 50 Cal ammo box, i might use this in the compartment at the rear of the buggy as almost a lockable glove box, has a waterproof seal around the top, not sure yet though, its currently being used as a toolbox.

2012-05-17073256.jpg

Friday i got into work early and got the car cleaned down and stuff packaged ready to go today......

2012-05-18073444.jpg

2012-05-18073455.jpg

2012-05-18073505.jpg

Then today i have spent the day picking up the trailer, picking up buggy, driving to and from JDModified and finally dropping the trailer off and storing the buggy in my garage so i can start the fibreglassing. Its great watching peoples faces as they see the buggy on th trailer and i had quite a few people stop and stare at it as i drove past. :D

Im absolutely shattered but its been a very good day. I have to say a HUGE thankyou to Lee at JDModified who has been an absolute legend today. He knows his stuff when it comes to wiring Toyota engines and i couldn't have done it without him.

Got the buggy to JDModified at about 11am and about 2-3 hours later and a quick trip to the petrol station to fill up the jerry can...........

IT LIVES!!!!!

Yes thats right the engine got started up today, its actually alot louder than i thought it was going to be and i may have to get a cat fitted :(

First attempt..............

Had a few minor things to sort, mainly lack of fuel and a few leaks, then second attempt.....

Was running a bit poop, turned out to be air getting in around the throttle body and a port that wasn't blocked off on the inlet manifold. But then on the third attempt she started up and ran great. Now i did have a video of it running on the third attempt but i tried to upload it to Facebook and its now corupt the file on my phone! :(

But anyway, she runs and im over the moon. :D

Then there was just enough time to get it moved to my Garage ready for the fibreglass fest. Rolled it round the back with my bro, actually looks awesome when i rolled it off the trailer and just seeing it parked on the road makes it look so much more real.

2012-05-19174612.jpg

and all tucked up in its new home for the next week or so.....

2012-05-19175325.jpg

Well thats it for another day. With any luck it won't be long before i have the fibreglassing done and im moving it back to the workshop :D

jason_l

Well yesterday was the day we decided to crack on with the fibreglassing. Paul from work came along and gave me a hand, complete legend, couldn't have done it without him.

Was like working in a oven and i was swaeting my ass off but got it mostly sorted and plan is to now get a few more layers on it tomorrow evening and then get it moved back to the workshop at some evening next week before the new director starts work. lol

starting to add some fibreglass......
2012-05-23184113.jpg

2012-05-23184106.jpg

2012-05-23184055.jpg

and with a even(ish) layer added all over......
2012-05-23194930.jpg

Didn't really care about getting the garage all mucky as its going to be torn down and rebuilt at some point so no need to clean up lol

Then today i went back to just clean up the sharp edges and get ready for tomorrow....
2012-05-24175047.jpg

After the fibreglass is removed from the front i can crack on with getting the wiring done back at the workshop and work on the nosecone at my garage seperately.

More updates coming soon :D

jason_l

Well its been a busy old week really. Work has been hectic but still found some time to sort out a few little bits :D

Friday i got back to the garage and got the next coat of fibreglass on the nosecone. Again a big thanks to Paul for working in the heat to help layer up the bumper and it was looking great.

Didn't get any time over the weekend to get any done as i was working on the house both days and i was shattered come monday. However monday i needed to look at moving the buggy back to the workshop so after work i rushed home just to load up the trailer and get back to work. Thanks to my bro for giving me a hand loading and unloading the trailer. Got the buggy back to work and the trailer back to JDModified.

Then Sarah ended up working late on tuesday and wednesday which meant i was forced to stay on and get on with the buggy, such a shame :D

started off like this.......
2012-05-29123730.jpg

2012-05-29123735.jpg

sort of bearded bumper, so trimmed the whiskers off........
2012-05-29130654.jpg

Then after a lot of pulling, some wooden wedges and a rubber mallet this happened.......
2012-05-29174616.jpg

2012-05-29174624.jpg

I did manage to crack the bumper at the sides as it really didn't want to come off but its easy enough to repair and re-enforce from the back.
2012-05-29174629.jpg

2012-05-29174645.jpg

Then removed all the stuck on foam/ply and filler.......
2012-05-29174656.jpg

2012-05-30164950.jpg

still got a little more to remove but its almost there. Got it on the scales and its currently 8kg for the whole thing. Pretty happy with that but it will go up slightly more with the gel coat layer.

Then started cleaning up the front and trimming to fit the buggy better.......
2012-05-30182736.jpg

2012-05-30182750.jpg

2012-05-31080051.jpg

2012-05-31080059.jpg

2012-05-31080113.jpg

Still need to trim it down to fit perfectly but its slowly getting there. Have taken some measurements and its all looking true and square, just a little bit of fetling on the top part. Then i can clean it up and start getting the gel coat layer on. Im still going to make a splitter that fixes to the bottom edge to make it look a little more meaner.

Then i thought i would test fit the front rad and i must say its PERFECT. looks so good and fitment is spot on, can't see any of the edge parts. Then added some mesh i have, to be honest i think it looks better without the mesh but i may leave it in for the extra protection it gives to the rad.

with rad and no mesh..........
2012-05-31125321.jpg

2012-05-31125258.jpg

2012-05-31125306.jpg

and then with the mesh roughly in place....
2012-05-31125500.jpg

2012-05-31125507.jpg

Think its starting to come along quite a bit now and looking a bit more complete.

Next plans are to continue with the bumper work and begin looking at the cooling pipes and the brake lines. Still in 2 minds if i should use copper pipes or braided lines throughout the buggy?!?!?

More to come soon,

jason_l

Well after Max started talking about headlights and how i should get the projector headlights i started thinking what it would look like with the headlights fitted.

Today i had to go into work as usually when the weather is bad we are packed and they need a technician to carry out repairs to the exhibits and be there for general support. Even though the weather is gloomy the public have decided to stay at home and watch the Diamond Jubilee, thanks queeny ;D So as there wasn't many public in at work i got on with the buggy.

Got some light brackets made up. Needed to take a grinder to the chassis to modify the existing brackets slightly but nothing too bad really. Im going to need to space the lights out further to meet IVA regs but this is their final location when road legal me thinks. I have some indicators from a sym scooter that look amazing and they will be mounted on another bracket next to the lights, just need to fab something up this week.

I really like the look of it now, its amazing how adding a few little bits can really make it look so different.

2012-06-03135443.jpg

2012-06-03135409.jpg

2012-06-03135400.jpg

2012-06-03135426.jpg

As always comments welcome :D