Freestyle possibly for sale

BRUC3

Cant get hold of this fella :(

Also this may sound a stupid question, but can any Freestyle kit be made road legal?

SOmeone mentioned £600 for an SVA, is this the actual cost of the certificate? Or a guess at how much it would take to make it up to standard for an SVA?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Phaeton

Staff member
Have you tried his mobile, it's on the first page of the post, the IVA costs £465 I think with a £95 retest fee on failure. Currently no Freestyle has been through an IVA the biggest concern appears to be the position of the fuel tank. Have a search & there is a long thread about it, however having revisted it, I do believe it is possible to IVA one, but the only proof will be once one has been submitted.

Regards

Alan...

BRUC3

So is the IVA test the one you need to make it road legal? If its hard to aquire, how do people go about it and how comes their seems to be so many road legal ones?

Your have to excuse my ignorance, im new to all this buggy stuff but believe in Colin Chapmans thoughts of power to weight is where the real fun in driving is!

Bruce

BRUC3

Got hold of the owner, didnt even realise his number was in the thread!  ::)Thanks Alan!

Hopefully going to look at it soon, and if all goes well I shall hopefully ber the owner of a part finished buggy!!! :D

Angel Boy

gordy p":yihz7pja said:
Hi New on here, I desperately want it for trials, unfortunately I've got to sell my Rover V8 engne and gear box before I can afford it.

Woohoo, sell.  Sounds like the ideal engine to transplant in the back of the buggy  :eek:  ;D

Andy

gordy p

Na I can think of better engines for a buggy. I did one of the first in the UK 16Valve K-series conversions in a Mini, which then got sold to a guy in California. The 16V K-series is actually a very good little engine and might find it's way into a buggy!

BRUC3

I loved the K series in the back of my Elise!

Was a great lil engine, if not slightly rattly! I had the 160 kit that B&C does and the car went like stink!!!

Would be great in the back of a buggy!

BRUC3

Im going to have a look at this sometime this week, but after reading some of the topics on the new IVA test im worried the Freestyles wont be able to go through without a lot of money being poured into...

I dont do welding, and my main concern is the fuel tank!

Malcoms comes with a behind the seat fuel tank, but this obviously wont be no good so I will have to go about sourcing a different style...

Would I be mad to go ahead and buy the buggy with my lack of welding skills, or is it still possible to make road legal on a fairly small budget?

Radar

like I suggested Bruc buy one built and road legal saves a lot of grief then use it this summer and then tinker at your leisure maybe over the winter swap out the engine or mod the existing one whatever takes your fancy...
It all depends on your budget and how cheap you mean CHEAP is to you ,

do you really want to build or attempt to build something for two conkers and a frog ?
even "low cost" builds have a way of spiralling ever upwards..

just my two cents worth

Radar

gordy p

It's a tricky one, remember the freestyle is an old kit now and there may well be other things to sort as well as the fuel tank for the IVA test. You probably will need some fabrication skills and the IVA is not goibng to be cheap to get a car through.
I'm not trying to put you off, you just need to consider all possible problems. The only person who can answer whether to buy a kit or prebuilt is you.

BRUC3

well im planning on it being a long project (couple of years), and I really like the idea of building it myself.

Im a carpenter by trade, so have a good idea on hands on issues, and in the past have always tinkered with cars including rebuilding a mini pickup and fitting a 1275 turbo engine...

I done most of the work myself on the turbo except welding in the bulkhead box as I'e never attempted welding!

If a shagged road legal one come up that would be ideal, but the initial cost of £500 is a big turn on...

As for the total cost, it isnt so much an issue as once its legal I'l be tinkering with it over the years! My main concern is the cost of getting it road legal... even if it does look a bit rough!

Another big turn on is the simplicity of the Freestyle which means I can all the suspension, engine work etc myself!

Hmmm!

BRUC3

I went and had a look at this earlier this evening, and forgot just how small the buggys really are!

Luckily for me that isnt an issue as im only a short arse! :p

The powder coat is flaking on the chassis, so could ideally do with being stripped down and repainted. Most of the metal work has surface rust as it has been standing uncovered for the last couple of months so will need a bit of a going over with a wire brush.

Everything is there, although the engine is only a 998 so will definitly be getting pulled put if I do go for it!

It also has the bigger rear end panel... Is this a rare part?

Im pretty keen for it, but is it worth £500?

Mini Mad Max

Considering these kits aren't made anymore and i picked up my kit second hand with only the floors in place for £800, I reckon it's worth it with the parts you get too. Sounds like a fair bit of work on the frame which could get tedious... but it's not all that bad, danny used heat to soften the powder coat then made sure his frame was clean and then got it resprayed so there are easy solutions. I think seeing as it is early on in the build process you could do a lot to make it your own.
Max

BRUC3

Well since those pics, its had the engine fitted, suspension is all fitted, all the brake hoses are in etc...

The frame isnt that bad, I could probably get away with sanding down the parts that have flaked, and then spraying the whole thing again. im pretty handy with bodywork, so wouldnt be much of a cost!

I think im going to go for it, just want to make sure I cover all corners before I comitt!!!

Phaeton

Staff member
The Big Arse is a rare piece, I think there is only 1 other around, th emould changed hands a while ago, but I've forgotten what happened to it.

As for price, I think it's still a bargain, the basic frame with standard fibreglass parts came in at over £2k in it's day. You have all the other bits, suspension etc, would be nice if a V5C was in there as well, so you're looking that Malcolm has around £3k invested in it.

Last one I bought as a unfinished project cot me £1200, it wasn't in particular good shape, although most of t was there, I now have a reasonable buggy on the road for £2k. If you buy this for £500 even with the IVA costs you could have a nice buggy on the road for the same £2k.

I know if I had the space, you wouldn't be able to buy it, as it would be here with me know, but then again I'm biased.

Alan...