Mary's Back!! Discussion Thread

BRUC3

The K series in my old Elise was 160bhp.

Now that would shift!!!

Im sure I have an old hurricane induction kit laying around in my garage! :p

Phaeton

Staff member
DSCF0343008.jpg

My welding is not the best Steve, but it's not mine, when I last saw it there were bolts through there holding it together so it could be adjusted if needed, I suspect it's the professional mechanic you bought Mary off that did that.

Looking very good BTW.

Alan...

jason_l

Steves2580":p6iojwe3 said:
I read the other day that the orginal k series set up throws out 126bhp, Ive estimated that Mary will weigh about 750kgs, great fun!!!!!!!!!

Steve  ;D

Thats quite interesting as the Toyota engine i have gives out 135bhp in standard form, must be the turbo im sure!?!?

This conversion is looking like a very good option and im sure its more straight forward than mine, not like thats hard though  :D

Steves2580

It's slow progress at the moment!
With work and the little things that looks like I've not done anything :(

Soon be road legal again soon, wanting it out and about by early October ;D

Steve.

HolyCount

That looks awesome!!!!  what are you going to do side-panel wise, twixt the rear wheels and the rear end of the original panels?  Looks a bit "hollow" at the mo.

Phaeton

Staff member
Agree with Kev on that, I think you need to extend the waistline backwards to the rear wheels if that's possible.

Alan...

Buggybloke

Been following your MGF conversion of 'Mary'... was wondering, -why such a long gap between engine and original frame?... quality work, but looks a little odd,...also I suspect the 'new' adapter frame may need 'beefing-up' a touch!, looks a bit thin compared to original frame tubes.... I'm intending to do a similar job on my Blitz2-when it's 1300 A+ blows up!.... it'll work out cheaper, and MUCH faster.... ;D

BRUC3

Deffo looks like it needs beefing up a lil, if not just to make it look better! Cant comment on the structural side of things lol

Very impressed with some of the creativity and welding skills of people in here! The world of buggys seems to be a lot more artistic and creative than most other cars! Something I never realised until I bought mine!

Top work!

Phaeton

Staff member
Buggybloke":1ghx5og9 said:
-why such a long gap between engine and original frame?... quality work, but looks a little odd,

Steve will confirm, but I think he mentioned earlier that he's putting the MG fuel tank into that space

Buggybloke":1ghx5og9 said:
...also I suspect the 'new' adapter frame may need 'beefing-up' a touch!, looks a bit thin compared to original frame tubes

The originals are made from the same size box by the looks of it. With the hoop at the back going onto the new down tubes I think it will be pretty rigid. If as I suggested earlier the waistline is continued backwards & some triangulation is put in to match the front I 'think' it will be sound.

Steve, what's the difference in track? Do you have a head-on picture showing the wheels sticking out, this is the only thing that concerns me about the conversion.

Alan...

jason_l

Steve,

Looks awsome! You have done so much in such a short time its really coming together now. It looks so much longer now, it even looks longer than mine!!!!! When you get a chance can yo measure the distance between the wheel centre at the front to the wheel centre at the back so we can see who has the longest buggy  ;D How much wider is yours at the back compared to the front also?

Jason :D

HolyCount

jason_l":hwmooyx2 said:
Steve,

Looks awsome! You have done so much in such a short time its really coming together now. It looks so much longer now, it even looks longer than mine!!!!! When you get a chance can yo measure the distance between the wheel centre at the front to the wheel centre at the back so we can see who has the longest buggy  ;D How much wider is yours at the back compared to the front also?

Now I wish we hadn't cut up that 4 seater (fugly as it was) .... would have been longer still  ;D

Steves2580

HolyCount":30t8779m said:
That looks awesome!!!!  what are you going to do side-panel wise, twixt the rear wheels and the rear end of the original panels?  Looks a bit "hollow" at the mo.

Hi Holy, there is more steelwork to go in yet, once that's in place the side panels will extend back to the wheels ;D

Should look awesome when finished ;D ;D

Steve.

P.S. Thanks for your interset and comments ;D

Steves2580

Buggybloke":2ias0u5e said:
Been following your MGF conversion of 'Mary'... was wondering, -why such a long gap between engine and original frame?... quality work, but looks a little odd,...also I suspect the 'new' adapter frame may need 'beefing-up' a touch!, looks a bit thin compared to original frame tubes.... I'm intending to do a similar job on my Blitz2-when it's 1300 A+ blows up!.... it'll work out cheaper, and MUCH faster.... ;D

Hi, the gap is for the MGF 50 litre fuel tank, so I can keep the sender unit and pump, it does need more steel in it to give it strength!
Just struggling to keep lifting the tank in and out as the MGF came with loads of fuel ;D
There is also more steel to go in around the rear to take the shockers!

Thanks for your comments, keep watching the build, I'm trying to get it finished for early October!! ;D

Steve.

Danny

Administrator
I not sure I would have put the tank in.... will see how it all pans out

so far so good

Danny

Steves2580

Phaeton":2usrvv66 said:
Buggybloke":2usrvv66 said:
-why such a long gap between engine and original frame?... quality work, but looks a little odd,

Steve will confirm, but I think he mentioned earlier that he's putting the MG fuel tank into that space

Buggybloke":2usrvv66 said:
...also I suspect the 'new' adapter frame may need 'beefing-up' a touch!, looks a bit thin compared to original frame tubes

The originals are made from the same size box by the looks of it. With the hoop at the back going onto the new down tubes I think it will be pretty rigid. If as I suggested earlier the waistline is continued backwards & some triangulation is put in to match the front I 'think' it will be sound.

Steve, what's the difference in track? Do you have a head-on picture showing the wheels sticking out, this is the only thing that concerns me about the conversion.

Alan...

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your input!!

The SHS (square hollow section) is 25x25x2 hot rolled, the orginal Freestyle chassis looks like it is 25x25x1.6 cold rolled, so the new steel is slightly stronger, but will be getting some more strength

The track will be 45mm wider each side, so not massive. I will get you a full frontal piccy (of Mary) as soon as I can ;D ;D

Steve.

Steves2580

jason_l":hmnby4a2 said:
Steve,

Hi Jason,
Yep, she's coming on very well!!
She now measures 2308mm from rear wheel centre to front wheel centre (longer than I thought it would be) ;D
The overall width difference is 90mm, 45mm each side!
Thanks for watching!
Steve.

Phaeton

Staff member
Steve,

You doing this by plans or winging it? Just thought you might consider offering it as a conversion, centre section, hoop & down tubes, I might be interested if you did.

Alan...

Steves2580

Hi Alan,

A fully trained, experienced engineer would work from plans, but I've worked from loads of measurements from Freestyle chassis, MGF monocock chassis and the MGF subframe.
My plans have just been a series of sketches that link together, so yes Plans!

Not totally winged, but not real plans either ;D

I know that I'm really enjoying myself ;D ;D

Steve.