Mary's Back!! Discussion Thread

Danny

Administrator
yep i think we would all be interested in this conversion at some point....

as i said before it is tooooo long for me so i would prob try and lose the the space you made for the tank is that even viable?

Danny

BRUC3

It does look awfully long! Are you not concerned about the handling being somewhat off?

Also what are you going to do with the wheels?

Could always fit a cheeky set of S1 Elise wheels on the rear! Get a nice bit of dish! :p

Mini Mad Max

I can't wait to see it finished... it will be really interesting :) If you find that the track width changes handling then you can always use wheel spacers to make it look and be right. I've always found the dront looks wider than the back on a freestyle, but there isn't much in it at all, I think it is just the shape of the chassis exaggerating things at the front, so you might find it looks reallt nice and purposeful :D Another bonus i thought of is that the mgf has disc brakes on the back so no need for a golf caliper conversion on mini running gear! Your killing many birds with one stone! (just don't tell the rspb :p )
Lookin great so far!
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
BRUC3":1l65o7yo said:
It does look awfully long! Are you not concerned about the handling being somewhat off?
As it stands, it's only a wheels diameter longer, but I suspect it may have to go further for exhaust, rear lights etc. As to handling I suspect it might improve the straight line stability, one of the issues of a Freestyle is it's length making it a bit 'twitchy' on anything other than a snooker table road.

Alan...

jason_l

Surely adding length to the buggy is needed when you add more power like this! Im glad mine got lengthened, 220bhp in a chassis that small would see me just flying all over the place.

Steve, mine is 150mm wider either side at the rear so mine has a bigger ass than yours. But then i have a funny feeling yours will be longer than mine. I will measure mine when im up there next. Keep up the good work, i can see alot more MGF engine ones coming soon  ;D

Jason :D

Steves2580

Danny":1x6lxy1i said:
yep i think we would all be interested in this conversion at some point....

as i said before it is tooooo long for me so i would prob try and lose the the space you made for the tank is that even viable?

Danny

Hi Danny,
Completely viable, but I wanted to get away from the fire extinguisher tanks!
The lower the weight, the lower the centre of gravity, therefore better cornering/handling ;D ;D
Whats the phrase "like its on rails!!" ;D

Steve.

Steves2580

BRUC3":294crb95 said:

Also what are you going to do with the wheels?

Could always fit a cheeky set of S1 Elise wheels on the rear! Get a nice bit of dish! :p

Hi Bruce,
The handling should be better, far less twitchy!!
The old but brand new wheels will have to go on the bay, gutted really!!
I'm swaping the front hubs, so it will have MGF wheels all round, until I find some really nice ones. This will also give me uprated front brake discs too ;D

Steve.

Steves2580

Mini Mad Max":1a1cejsd said:
I can't wait to see it finished... it will be really interesting :) If you find that the track width changes handling then you can always use wheel spacers to make it look and be right. I've always found the dront looks wider than the back on a freestyle, but there isn't much in it at all, I think it is just the shape of the chassis exaggerating things at the front, so you might find it looks reallt nice and purposeful :D Another bonus i thought of is that the mgf has disc brakes on the back so no need for a golf caliper conversion on mini running gear! Your killing many birds with one stone! (just don't tell the rspb :p )
Lookin great so far!
Max

Hi Max,
I can't wait either, I'll bring it up to you as soon as its on the road!!
The track width should alter the handling, but I do have to change the hubs anyway, so this might line them back up again "fingers crossed"!
Disc brakes on the rear, with a handbrake built in, gear linkage is cable so can be mounted anywhere!
It just sounds too easy ;D
Steve.

Steves2580

Mini Mad Max":14pqzg1l said:
But some people like it's ability to change direction :D
Max

But some people like it NOT to change direction whenever it feels like it whether you want to or not  ;D ;D

Alan...

I definitely want it to travel in the direction I want it too, whether that be sideways or not ;D
As you say far less twitchy with the extra length!!

Steve.

Steves2580

jason_l":pkogimcp said:
Surely adding length to the buggy is needed when you add more power like this! Im glad mine got lengthened, 220bhp in a chassis that small would see me just flying all over the place.

Steve, mine is 150mm wider either side at the rear so mine has a bigger ass than yours. But then i have a funny feeling yours will be longer than mine. I will measure mine when im up there next. Keep up the good work, i can see alot more MGF engine ones coming soon  ;D

Hi Jason,
Wow, that's a big old ass!!
Let us know your wheel base, it would be interesting to see how they handle, as they will differ greatly!!
The MGF conversion is going very well, so I can see it becoming quite popular ;D

Steve.

Danny

Administrator
You see i have tank behind the seats which works well... (when its not rusting)

What is the wiring going to be like? simple or a complete dogs breakfast? I hate wiring

Danny

Steves2580

Danny":scxcvr8t said:
You see i have tank behind the seats which works well... (when its not rusting)

What is the wiring going to be like? simple or a complete dogs breakfast? I hate wiring

Danny

Hi Danny,
Not really looking forward to the wiring part of it, but I do understand it (maybe), just going to throw the full MGF loom in, get it running then cut away what is not required, like central locking, electric windows, electric power steering etc.
Which should be fun!

Steve.

jason_l

Its looking good Steve  ;D

What size fuel tank does the MGF have? Mines a made from scratch joby but i only have a 22/23 litre capacity. That fuel tank looks massive, should last a fair few miles  :D

I will measure mine wheel to wheel this weekend so we can compare size ;D

There are some really interesting builds going on at the moment and its really nice to see these buggy's getting adapted and modified! There are several builds that im watching come together now :)

Keep up the good work mate and keep the updates coming, its keeping me motivated  ;D

Steves2580

Hi Jason,

The MGF fuel tank is 50 litres, so yes a fair few miles ;D
It's quite heavy though, only because there will be at least three quarters of a tank of fuel in it!!

DSCF0780709.jpg

It would be good/interesting to compare axle centres and handling ;D
We'll have to book a slot on Max's airfield!!

The builds are getting very interesting, there is some top quality work getting done, I totally agree with the motivation comment, it really does keep you going ;D

Steve.

jason_l

Double my fuel tank then  :eek: Although yours is a 1.8 and mines only a 1.3  ;D

I was going to do 2 tanks either side of the centre tunnel to allow the gubbins to run down the centre but thought otherwise as i didn't want a duel tank system. I now have the tank on passenger side to help balance the weight when im on my own and there will be space the otherside to secure a metal army style fuel can for the longer journeys/trips and when not in use it will be a small lockable storage box ;)

Keep up the good work, im watching this like a hawk  ;D

Steves2580

Coz some git knicked my jerry cans out of my trailer!! :mad:
My own fault, shouldn't have left them outside :(

Nearly ready for using the fuel now anyway ;D ;D

Coolio!!!!!!!!

Mini Mad Max

That looks pretty amazing! Awesome progress compared to me :/ I'm sure if you bought it up when it's finished to the arifield then it might make me get my act together :D Plus if you aren't happy with how it handles or the brake balance or engine tune of it, there is a tune up shop with a dyno on site  :eek:
Max

jason_l

Steves2580":2yajozyl said:
jason_l":2yajozyl said:
Steve,

Looks awsome! You have done so much in such a short time its really coming together now. It looks so much longer now, it even looks longer than mine!!!!! When you get a chance can yo measure the distance between the wheel centre at the front to the wheel centre at the back so we can see who has the longest buggy  ;D How much wider is yours at the back compared to the front also?

Hi Jason,
Yep, she's coming on very well!!
She now measures 2308mm from rear wheel centre to front wheel centre (longer than I thought it would be) ;D
The overall width difference is 90mm, 45mm each side!
Thanks for watching!
Steve.

Well i measured the length of mine on Friday morning and yours is miles longer than mine!!!!!!! by a massive 8mm  :D yep, mines 2300mm wheel centre to wheel centre. Almost exactly the same, great minds think alike and all that.

Will be interesting to see what they look like next to each other when they are done  ;D and possibly a duel magazing feature?  :D