Max's Freestyle buggy Discussion thread.

Mini Mad Max

Thanks Jamie :D, I will do that. I sealed round the panels to stop water getting between the box and the alluminium, because when there are two kinds of metal, and water, It rusts really quikly.
If anyone else has any Pointers about anything, please say, they're very greatfully recieved.
Max

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":3ams8smy said:
Thanks Jamie :D, I will do that. I sealed round the panels to stop water getting between the box and the alluminium, because when there are two kinds of metal, and water, It rusts really quikly.
If anyone else has any Pointers about anything, please say, they're very greatfully recieved.
Max

Just one pointer, don't do too much as i need to catch up  :D

Only kidding, progress is really good Max. Keep it up and when you go back to school you will be easily ahead of me  :mad: ;D

JAMIE B.

On the same subject, joining the floor and sides, I used nutserts and sandwiched closed cell foam between the aluminium panels and steel chassis.

Stops all the crap going between the two

Self adhesive closed cell foam 25mm wide 3mm thick cheap as chips on ebay (also known as chassis foam)

Jamie

Mini Mad Max

Mmm got me a roll of that, I'm sure i'll be using it too. The adhesive sealer has worked a treat, will work as a glue, a sealant and like rubber mountings, as it's so rubbery ;D It's great stuff.
I got my side panels cut out today, need to make the cut outs for the tie bars and steering rack.
But i go away at 3pm till thursday with a friend upto scottland, so no more work till then :-\
Max :)

jason_l

So mister Max, you must be going back to school very soon or even going back tomorrow?

Did you get to the stage you wanted to mate? Remember we are racing to the bar so i hope you have a rolling chassis. Im sure you got quite a bit done, well more than the rest of us anyway  ;D

Jason :D

Mini Mad Max

Mmm! Tomorrow i return for two days, then its weekend. Seems pointless ::) The buggy will have a frame mod this weekend so the tie bars will fit nicely, i will update my diary to show you all, it should've been done a while ago. I now have everything almost ready to have the front rolling, and i'm cleaning up and painting bits for the engine as the rebuild is next on the list of things to do.
I'm happy with what i've done, I must  say it was slower progress than i thought due to the problems i encountered. But hey, it has to be done right.
Max

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":2sbqx2ls said:
Mmm! Tomorrow i return for two days, then its weekend. Seems pointless ::) The buggy will have a frame mod this weekend so the tie bars will fit nicely, i will update my diary to show you all, it should've been done a while ago. I now have everything almost ready to have the front rolling, and i'm cleaning up and painting bits for the engine as the rebuild is next on the list of things to do.
I'm happy with what i've done, I must  say it was slower progress than i thought due to the problems i encountered. But hey, it has to be done right.
Max

I always find that you set out to do more than you end up achieving  :D Happens every time i go and work on the buggy. At least you had a good old crack at it over the summer Max and im sure you achieved a good amount.

My buggy is on hold for another month as they are moving premesis and attending a few car shows so you have more time to overtake in the race! Although all the time they are not working on it my cash flow is slowly building up so that when they are ready to start up again i can give them more money and this means more work! I just hae to stop spending money on things i don't need yet  :eek: :'(

jason_l

Well, well, well Max!

Finally some pictures to add! About flippin time :D

Theres me thinking i am winning our little race but secretly you have been working away like a chipmonk on speed. Good to see it coming along, and i know what you mean about getting bored shotblasting,painting, cleaning etc but it will be worth it in the end Max.

Mine is having everything shotblasted, painted, painted some more etc means a longer process but will be worth it in the end i reckon. I reckon we are probably still on for a close race! I have my engine and gearbox in but its coming out again soon to replace the gearbox with a lsd one and rebuild the engine. Plus im sending the whole chassis off for shotblasting and spraying while the engine is out so will still be close between our builds. In fact you should be further ahead then me!?!

Keep up the good work Max and keep us all updated with your progress.

PS. This topic hasn't been replied to since september 4 2009, SLACKER!!!!! get back in that garage!!!!!  :D

jason_l

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Even the build thread discussion hasn't been posted in for a while too  :eek:

Anyway, great progress Max. Always good when you can get a big chunk of work done like that. Will really start to come along now buddy :D

This is making me look even worse!!!!! I think im going to have to get back on it tomorrow! Sarah is working late tomorrow so i might as well stay on at work and crack on with the buggy :D

Keep those updates coming Max, almost finished the exams and then on it full time?????

Mini Mad Max

Yep exams start may 16th and finish on june the 17th for me, includinga little bit of time during all that hopefully, and then in my massive summer holidays, I will be doing the buggy inbetween going away and festivals :) I should be able to crack on and get a fair load done over the holidays.... but you know what i'm like, I seem to put a lot of effort and time into doing f**k all some days! I'm aiming to have it tested and registered over the winter, in time for stoneleigh this time next year :D
Max

Steves2580

Excellent progress fella!
Good bit done there, I know what you mean with sometimes putting a lot of effort and time in and getting bugger all at the end!!

The dead line of Stoneleigh is set, you've got to keep at it dude ;)

As soon as I'm road legal, I'll be up to see you ;D

Steve.

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice progress Max, about time ROFL, as for the engine mountings, they can be a real pig, I had one set where my son & his mate were stood on top of the engine so I could get the bolts in, there was no other way.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Steves2580":2ni5f0i3 said:
Excellent progress fella!
Good bit done there, I know what you mean with sometimes putting a lot of effort and time in and getting bugger all at the end!!

The dead line of Stoneleigh is set, you've got to keep at it dude ;)

As soon as I'm road legal, I'll be up to see you ;D

Steve.
Thanks steve, I'll be seeing you soon then! :D

Phaeton":2ni5f0i3 said:
Nice progress Max, about time ROFL, as for the engine mountings, they can be a real pig, I had one set where my son & his mate were stood on top of the engine so I could get the bolts in, there was no other way.

Alan...
Yep, two people's weight and someone wacking a block of wood on the rad bottom bracket with a lump hammer still wasn't enough :/ We'll try again with some new ones, and if they are also as bad we will investigate the actual engine.
But hopefully it will be on all fours shortly, I'm just missing a couple of suspension parts that should be being replaced by minisport soon as the rubber on them has perished without any use, and a couple of bolts for the golf calipers to hubs as i need allen headed socket cap bolts as i can't get a spanner on conventional bolts :p
Max

jason_l

Plus if you get it done for Stoneleigh you will beat me, which means i owe you a Pint, as per our original deal  ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
jason_l":xk2wajnf said:
Plus if you get it done for Stoneleigh you will beat me, which means i owe you a Pint, as per our original deal  ;D

Let's face it Jason, my soon to be born grandson is going to beat you
ROFL.gif

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":2e6875k3 said:
jason_l":2e6875k3 said:

Let's face it Jason, my soon to be born grandson is going to beat you
ROFL.gif

Alan...

Right thats it!!!!! Im back on it now!!! I need to beat your grandson to the finish line LOL

ChaosMS

Max, Great looking machine, I can see a lot of detail work going on very nice!

And those rockers are fantastic!

A long time ago I built a Stage 3 prep mini engine for a yellow mini I had, Cooper stage 3 head ported and polished etc etc 286 Megadyne cam, Duplex vernier timing gear (very similar to yours) Lightened and balanced crank, Opto electronic ignition (that was good at the time) the list goes on.... Takes me back when I see yours!

Keep up the great work !!

Rich

Mini Mad Max

Nice engine spec :) Mine won't be as cammy with the 266 megadyne, and only the duplex thing is lightened, same old pre verto clutch/flywheel assembly, but i'm aiming for around 80bhp or more :D I agree with you on the rockers, Anything made from annodised aluminium is like mechanical eye candy!
Max

Danny

Administrator
Max I have those rockers :)

mine was 85bph at the wheels form what I remember from my rolling road :)

great build dude :)