Max's Freestyle buggy Discussion thread.

Mini Mad Max

Wow thanks guys, Just let me know when you're ready/available for a run up to fab it on so i can make sure i'm not doing anything. I would help you guys out too, but if i'm honest neither of you really need any help. Glad to have such expert fabricators/buggy enthusiasts on board :)
I can't wait to see it on the back of the buggy. What was that thing that you do to the steel, and would it be a good idea to do it to the manifold? Because i can polish that up to do what ever it is ???
I still have a bit of work to do in preparation, I confess i've been slacking a tad. haha.
Max

ChaosMS

Max,

Had Steve over in Mary today for a flying visit! (And he left a very large number 11 outside ;D ::)

Anyway we worked out that the next available date that we can come over and bring the exhaust is looking like Sunday 25th March how does that suit you?

I'm hoping it wont take too long to fit as its already shaped just positioning and tacking then seam welding the joints then I can smooth it all down so you wont see the joins ;D

I'm sorry its taken so long mate - both Steve and I have had a busy last few weeks!!

Cheers

Rich

Mini Mad Max

25th is fine with me. It's fine, I've been super busy myself and haven't been out in the garage in ages! Also... You know i talked about having a couple of bits of 1"/25mm tube coming down off the bumper and bending round onto the back of the sump guard? Do you guys have any tube and a pipe bender? :p hahaha. I'm guessing you'll be able to re-find where i am? If not just say and i'll re post you my details.
Thanks again guys.
Max

ChaosMS

Max,

Looks like this weekend might be a no go, was talking to Steve last weekend and something has come up for him and I might need to take my lad to his next grading for martial arts - still not sure so might have to let you know on Saturday if thats ok?

Cheers

Rich

Mini Mad Max

That's fine. I'm pretty flexible, and i still haven't got the things done i was planning to do before you came back up :p
Thanks Rich,
Max

ChaosMS

Max,

You about this Sunday Afternoon mate? - Have just sent you a PM and TXT msg - let me know if your about and Ill drop the exhaust in for you

Rich

Mini Mad Max

Yesterday, didn't manage to get much done, even with the help of Rich, but all shall be remedied next weekend i hope :p Managed to polish up and clear coat the manifold Rich. Decided it could probably do with curing a bit at least where the manifold bolts to the head (the hottest bit) because the tin said it can damage from sudden temp change. So i just heated round that end with a paint stripper, slowly working up the heat :) Looks like i have a stainless manifold now :D Also, I hope Steve's charity tractor run went okay, even if you did have to change a head gasket! :p
Max

Mini Mad Max

Any excuse to get the buggies out for a run is a good reason! Charity is a terribly good reason i think :)

In other matters, I have been researching the IVA requirements for an unleaded restrictor insert thingy, and it would seem that it is no longer a requirement ??? I maybe wrong, but i couldn't find it in the manual, and it would seem that there is similar confusion on locost builders: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=143703
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155818
Those two posts would suggest that we don't need unleaded restrictor inserts in the filler neck??

Furthermore, I'm not sure i need to tether the cap according to this point here:
The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap

My key is not able to be removed from the cap when it is off the vehicle, and it says nothing about the key having to be the same key that opperates the ignition.

Me thinks i'm okay?
Max

Phaeton

Staff member
Max, I believe that the understanding is from vehicles presented for IVA that either the key has to be the same as the ignition, or that it is not possible to take the fuel tank key off the keyring of the ignition key, what some people did was make a keyring out of a piece of bend steel & welded the ends up in a circle (if that makes any sense) Unfortunately I can't find the reference.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Well the reference to tethering and key's is right there in my previous post, I think i may have to try e-mail someone at vosa ???
Max

jason_l

Looks like its coming along Max.

From what i believe your right that the plastic insert is no longer required. I was planning on making a completely different style fuel tank and then they changed the regs a while back regarding the insert. I can't remember where i saw it but know that its no longer needed. Your right on the fuel cap thing as well but if it was me then i would do what Alan says and link the ignition key to the fuel cap key. Even if you only do it for the test, saves a retest if they require it.

My fuel lid doesn't lock the key in place when its off the tank so i had to tether it to the fuel tank. Was quite easy in the end but another one of those jobs that needed to be done.

Need to get back on to mine i think.....

Jason :D

wagon

Come on! Its been about a year since your last update!

SLacker! :p

Was thinking about you SM Rad - based on my experience I'd change that before you go any further!

jason_l

hahaha has it really been a year! (opens new window to check.........) looks like its getting on for a year.

I reckon he has secretly finished it and is out driving about in it.

Pictures needed i think :D

Jason

Mini Mad Max

Shush yourselves!! :p I'm sure its not as long as a year?! Haha. Well i have been relatively productive the last few days so i could update i guess :p As for the side mounted rad, its a 4 core supercool rad. I also have a nice oil cooler and i'm also going to make a huge air intake on the drivers side to direct air across the oil cooler and engine to the rad end. I think i should be alright. If needs be i'll convert to a high power electric fan too. We shall have to wait and see if it stays cool enough :)
Next jobs are to finish the exhaust and sort out the rear brakes. It's all systems go at the minute whilst i have 2 weeks off!
Whatch this space ;)
Max

jason_l

Thats more like it Max. Oh wait a minute, now you will be overtaking in the race. Think i may have to pull a sicky for a week or two and get on with mine. Oh bugger, can't do that, mine is at work so i need to actually turen up to work to get to it. Nooooooo ::) :D

Think we need to see some pictures in the next few days Max :p

Mini Mad Max

Haha nice one jason :p Don't you wish you were still in school. I have to go back for a month but then i have 6 or 7 weeks of summer holiday. Bring on a buildathon :)
Perhaps alan the reason it's taking me so long is because i want to do a good job of it ;)
Max ;D