Max's Freestyle buggy Discussion thread.

Phaeton

Staff member
Nice to see some progress Max, keep it up. Just a point on that very nice exhaust manifold, how do you intend to get it into the silencer? I think most of us has moved the Y piece back up the pipes & have it just above the top of the subrframe rather than after it comes out of the subframe if that makes sense.

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

Danny":dro2tchc said:
Max I have those rockers :)

mine was 85bph at the wheels form what I remember from my rolling road :)

great build dude :)
If I could get 85bhp at the wheels in mine i'd be extatic! Plus those rockers are the minispares ones, from what i've heard they're better than the minisport ones (less rattly and stay put togetehr for longer).

Phaeton":dro2tchc said:
Nice to see some progress Max, keep it up. Just a point on that very nice exhaust manifold, how do you intend to get it into the silencer? I think most of us has moved the Y piece back up the pipes & have it just above the top of the subrframe rather than after it comes out of the subframe if that makes sense.

Alan...
Yes, I've noticed how you all do it, and I may end up doing the same, it's just risky business cutting up a purposefully fabricated flowed maniflow LCB and making a good job of it... But that will all be sorted shortly as everything falls into place. We also got given a welder recently, which got the thumbs up from Steve today, so we shall be able to do all that kinda stuff without shouting for help like we used to.
Max

jason_l

Looking Good Max.  8) Its almost tyhere now, looks like you have most of it pretty much there now, just a case of doing all the small little parts then.

You will easily take the lead soon in our little race as we have just found out that we exchange on the 24th of this month. Then all my spare time will be spent on sorting the house out and making it liveable! I may get a few little things done but just won't have the time or money to carry on for the time being.

Hope everything goes well with the exams Max and then you can really crack on with getting it built! :D

Mini Mad Max

jason_l":xxq10jem said:
Looking Good Max.  8) Its almost tyhere now, looks like you have most of it pretty much there now, just a case of doing all the small little parts then.

You will easily take the lead soon in our little race as we have just found out that we exchange on the 24th of this month. Then all my spare time will be spent on sorting the house out and making it liveable! I may get a few little things done but just won't have the time or money to carry on for the time being.

Hope everything goes well with the exams Max and then you can really crack on with getting it built! :D
Thanks for the encouraging words Jason, but there is easily enough work to take me though this year and after winter! But that's what I aim for. The prospect of being finished for the summer after friday is getting me psyched and ready to crack on to make some serious progress!
The race is still on until someone finishes... remember Alex(collie) is still in the race, and is slightly further ahead than both of us :p Good luck finding the time to work on the buggy, but I assure you, that you will get time in between waiting for things to be done on the house, and you have your friend from work to help you! It's more a matter of your buggy budget now :/ But everyone has that problem at the moment... Just soldier on with it :)
Max

jason_l

Mini Mad Max":1c8p5mkc said:
jason_l":1c8p5mkc said:

Thanks for the encouraging words Jason, but there is easily enough work to take me though this year and after winter! But that's what I aim for. The prospect of being finished for the summer after friday is getting me psyched and ready to crack on to make some serious progress!
The race is still on until someone finishes... remember Alex(collie) is still in the race, and is slightly further ahead than both of us :p Good luck finding the time to work on the buggy, but I assure you, that you will get time in between waiting for things to be done on the house, and you have your friend from work to help you! It's more a matter of your buggy budget now :/ But everyone has that problem at the moment... Just soldier on with it :)
Max

There is nothing holding you up now Max, just hard graft! pretty much the same for me. I have only a handfull of expensive parts to buy now. Tyres, turbo and a few little bits and the rest of it is just time. The problem will be that i don't have time. We are pretty much doing everything on the house ourselves and there is so much to do that i won't get much free time!

Anyway, seems like you really want it done now so im sure you will just crack on with it. I expect to see lots of updates soon :D

Steves2580

WOW Max!
When I left you yesterday you had bit's scattered everywhere!
You and Leo must have really worked hard on your buggy to get on as far as that!!
Glad I have given you both insperation to graft ;D

You're going to lose your SLACKER (motivationally challenged) name that you worked so hard for, ha ha!

Let me know if you need a lift with that new/secondhand welder ;D

Awesome work guy's keep it up, she'll be on the move before you know it!!!

Steve ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
Max, Glad to see you finally back at it, all look very good, but there might be a problem with your shepherds crook assuming the bottom one is the new one. The input & output have to be in the same plain or it won't work, not sure how best to explain it, but suppose the shaft coming out of the gearshift goes down 75mm then no matter how many bends you put in it, it must come back up 75mm. Yours looks like it goes down 75mm & comes backup 50mm

Alan...

Mini Mad Max

The one we got from Dave didn't come up the same amount as it went down. We've found it still works, it just waggles a little bit side to side at the gear linkage tunnel.
Max

collie

Fantastic Progress Max! I wish I was that close to finishing! lol
I've also been having a bit of trouble fitting my "shepherds crook" mine is rubbing on the fins of the gearbox and rubbing on the cross member of the chassis as it exits the tunnel.
If you have any luck with your relacement, please let me know!
Once again, well done on the progress! ;)

Mini Mad Max

Yes mine had the exact same problem! Mine may still rub on the fins a little, and we may attack a couple fins with an angry grinder, but it is a huge improvement on what it was, and also sticks down less now which helps considering we has a sump guard to fit too! :)
I reckon we're about level pegging at the moment then Alex. I haven't heard from Jason on his progress in a while, so i'm guessing the 3 way race is still very much on!
Max

collie

Yeah, Alan said the fins get in the way, but he suggested gentle persuasion with a persuader! :p
I'm gonna struggle to get back to garage till atleast next weekend as SWMBO is now working for Toys'R'Us and the extended hours (for now) have left us running around after the kids so no playtime!
Re: Level pegging, we'll see in about 6 months time when yours is runnning around and mine has made next to zero progress! lol

ChaosMS

Max,

Sorry its taken a while to sort this exhaust design out, made progress and got the layout sorted now just need to do the mounting brackets and add them to the design and we are done. Steve has got a stainless flexi section which will be fitted into the longer straight lower section on the renders below
This is what it will look like on you buggy, shown with the y pipe cut down and a new 90 degree fitted;
rear%20frame%201.jpg

rear%20frame%202.jpg

Will post another render when ive sorted the mounts out!

Rich

Mini Mad Max

Mmmm, that looks so good :) I better do some more preperation work tomorrow so it is all ready for fab up and fire up :D
Thanks very much Rich, and Steve too ofcourse :p
Max

Steves2580

Even I hope it looks that good when it's done!!
You can trust "Bodgeit and Scarper"!!!!!!!

Should have the pipe guy on the phone this morning, he said he'd ring me!

Steve ;D

ChaosMS

Steve,

just sent you a text with what we need bend and pipe work wise. I have plenty of plate to make my signature swiss cheese mounts for the system and I've raided my rubber mounts box for some exhaust mounts so we should be good to go, with a bit of luck i should be able to build the mounts this weekend :)

Rich

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Mini Mad Max

Wow.... I'm doing nothing and it's progressing more quickly than when i actually try to do something hahaha :D
Thanks you guys, really appreciate your help.
Max

ChaosMS

Max,

Got chance this weekend to sort your exhaust out, I cut to size what I could and now we need to fit it and trim to the buggy, the bends are a little larger than I mocked up in the renders but should still be fine, I have re polished the back box to get rid of the seam as its now visible and removed the mounting arm.

So below is the kit of parts ready for a test fit (taped together at the moment ;D
maxs%20buggy%20exhaust%203.jpg

Along with the bends Steve also managed to get a cracking Stainless flexi so there should not be any problems with cracking the system now, I have still to cut and shape the mounts but the intention is to mount the backbox on the two bobbins in the picture from below.

Rich

Mini Mad Max

Wow. Did not expect to see this when i saw this thread was updated! That looks amazing Rich. You and Steve are a credit to this club. Let me know how much materials have cost you and Steve and i shall cover that. But then as a payment, are you guys okay with Beer or a bottle of something? There's some nice local cumbrian beer from a small micro brewery near where i live that we give as gifts from time to time. You guys deffinitely deserve something in return for this help, but i never know what people llike.
Thanks again!
Max

Steves2580

That looks awesome Rich!!
I'll be round at some point this week, just to have a quick peek, possibly tack it up!!

Max, I can't imagine that Rich will want anything, but as for me!!
The pleasure of helping another buggy building nutcase is the only payment I'll accept!!!
All the metal parts used were given to me and the bobbins are out of Rich's vast stash of bits!

See you both soon!

Steve

ChaosMS

Steve, Cheers mate, it was quite nice to see the result actually, the back box is made of good stainless, just needed a bit of machine work then elbow grease ;D

Max,

Payment?? - I dont want anything mate, Like Steve said we did this to help out a fellow Buggy Nut, I had the bobbins knocking around Steve got most of the parts from one of his ""Contacts"" (I'd Rather not know to be honest) and then it was just a little spare time for design and build, actually I'm sorry I didnt get it done sooner, ;D

At the end of the day us helping you with this means your one step closer to getting the beast running - and then taking both of us for a spin!! - I'm looking forward to the day I can get in a freestyle where my head does not protrude through the roll cage!!!!!

Cheers

Rich