Mein Trike

HolyCount

I have no idea Danny. The guy "fostering" the trike at the moment builds all sorts from scratch (apart from the Keith Black chassis he is working on at the moment). He has a mini out back with a 1750 maxi engine in, which sounds interesting.

HolyCount

Danny --- it's a GT40 chassis. Only wanted the body and the chassis came free, apparently it is in a sorry state (but body was new !)

BRUC3

Loving the rear!!!

Looks a bit too back heavy at the mo! Think a nice big single head lamp up front would balance it out a bit better!!!

You painting it something bright, or keeping it pretty subtle?

HolyCount

Yeah, I see what you mean -- will toy with the idea of a central light. Was leaving that space for a tool roll / saddlebag. But I think part of the problem is that the tatty black forks visually cut off the front wheel  (if you see what I mean).  Plan is to get the leading links chrome powdercoated (leaving the springs black). This will "join up" the wheel to the handlebars and body.

Originally I was going to go all "mean and black", but then thought everybody does that!  So, pushed on by the "hotwheels" wheels, am going all hot rod style  (actually depends how I can manage with rattle cans). Current thinking is to paint the front tango orange, and from just aft of where the body widens switch to daytona yellow, with the orange overlapping the yellow in old skool flames.  So, not going for subtle  ;D

With that in mind, can you guys help?  Should the front mudguard and the air dam covering the footpeg supports be solid orange, or each echo the orange flames over yellow theme in their own right ? So there will be a bit of yellow at the front too  8)

HolyCount

Just a quick post to let everyone know that the trike is now down with me ( so progress will slow down considerably!). Actually there isn't a lot left to do: Paint frame, clip pipes and cables, add rear number plate and plate lights, powder coat the forks, service the engine, pressure test, bleed brakes and calibrate the fuel gauge. Then bit of rubbing down and paint the body and she's good to go to VOSA (I think) ... oh .. better put the seats on too  ::)

Anyhooo ... as she looks now (click pic for bigger view):

Riding position is pretty comfortable too:

Can I have opinions please : should those forks be black or silver ?  Was originally going with silver but am wavering ( what's new!)

Steve

Looking Good, bet you can't wait to get it on the road.
Finish line is within sight, so a little effort now to get it finished as soon as possible.
The question about the forks, what colour are you doing the rest of the trike? At the moment I think silver would be my choice.
Do you have a preference? if so does the decision depend on the amount of work it will take to do them.

HolyCount

Hi Steve, rest of the trike will be orange and yellow. I was originally going for "chrome" powdercoat, leaving the springs in black, but am now wavering over making the whole lot black. Both options will be the same cost / workwise.

jason_l

Looking awesome Kev :D

I like both options for colours to be honest. all black would look more stealth but then the chrome and black will also look great. All depends on how much cleaning you want to do, if you think you will keep it clean then go for the chrome if not just go with the black  :D

HolyCount

Cheers Jason -- I just hope I will be allowed to park it near the freestyle encampment at a show or two in the future !

Phaeton

Staff member
As others have said Kev looking good, is the 'chrome' powder coat chrome or is it silver? Only that when I got Mary the day we went to pick her up the 'silver' powder coat was absolutely glistening, it was reflecting that bad it hurt your eyes. But it didn't take long for the shine to go & the top rail where you put your hands to get in & out went positively grey.

Alan...

HolyCount

Alan, apparently they do a "chrome" powdercoat as opposed to silver. I have yet to see samples. the yokes are aluminium, so if it dulls to match those it will still look far better than it does now !!!

HolyCount

Just a small update -- to let you know it's still ongoing ( albeit slowly -- everyone else wants my time at the moment!).

Having just raided my local paint supplier I am now commited to the colours ...... sort of these:

a VW yellow and ( I love this) Hell Rot Orange  ;D

There's going to be a teeny bit of purple in there too.  Been spending a bit of time sorting out custom paint masks (stencil type - not face mask type) with a guy in the States. Not the cheapest -- but awesome service. Just hope I don't b*gg*r it up  :eek: ::)

Been collecting all the hose clips, p-clips, screws, bolts and nuts to finish her off, so, when I get a time-window I will get on with painting the frame, clipping everything where it should be and painting the shell.

HolyCount

Small update ( would that be an "updatette"?). Finally POR15'd the frame and got the forks back from powder coating. Decided against p-clipping everything and used cable ties where needed, being told that this would satisfy the man from VOSA.

First, a cock-up with the forks ---- there was a 50/50 chance that the bearings would stand baking when being powdercoated, but the sandblasting ripped off the seals, which put paid to that. Had to get the old bearings out (4 of them) THEN re-blast and powder coat. Went for silver in the end. It's not chrome .... but not bad.

Second cock up was popping the new bearings in ----- using the method often recommended I got myself an M16 bolt, nuts and a few large washers and pressed (pulled) the bearings in. Well, the first set of two with spacer between went in like a dream. Literally ran out of strength getting the second pair in (bad timing with the M.E ... personal batteries low, I guess). Anyway, I got them half in (half out), and the b*gg*rs were crooked !! They weren't going anywhere fast!

So, a day later, having recuperated somewhat, I took an hour off work and tried again. Plan was, if they didn't co-operate, to get them out ( probably destroying them in the process, and get a new set to try again with. So, with nothing to lose I placed the bearing against a suitably sized socket either size, on the floor and delivered a measured whack with a lump hammer !!!! Blow me down ... it worked !!!! I got the bearings straightened up with the persuader, then, got them home with the bolt. Yaaay !!

Today I changed the pump to carb fuel line as there was a leak (from where I can't tell, but it has gone now :D ). Finally re-assembled the front end and got the wheel straight....eventually. Loads of other little jobs done .... and .... got her started up and off down the road, using the fuel tank as a seat. Only a few feet, you understand ;) no tax, no insurance, no MOT, no reg --- little things ::)

Anyhoo ... engine runs great once warmed up ( cleaning the carb will sort that out ) and SHE GOES !!!

I am sure everyone else would have got to this milestone much faster .. but ... hey ho!

Now --- the body work ........

So -- here is the current state of play ... with body removed, clicky for bigger pics:

HolyCount

BRUC3":godgm7of said:
cant wait to see this finished!!!!

Nor can I !! Must admit I was getting a bit fed up with it, doing loads of fiddly jobs which didn't seem to be heading anywhere ( of course they were -- just didn't seem to be). But now that I have managed a little ( albeit improvised) ride, it's feeling a lot better!

I hasve recently discovered that my local VOSA ( half a mile away) don't do MSVA, so I will have to take it to Exeter (45 miles away). Question is, do I trailer it down ( which means hiring a car with towbar and hiring a trailer) or trust it's maiden voyage to be a 90 mile round trip ??? And, even more annoying ... I have to go all the way back down there for its DVLA inspection if and when I get the MAC!

Just a thought ... I suppose, before MSVA, I could book it in for an MOT at a station a suitable distance away. That way I cabn get a shorter test ride in and it will be checked over for obvious faullts first.