Baloo's Blitz

Baloo

well the exhaust flanges are self explanertry, l wanted to join my silencer to the pipe with out welding it on permanently so l found some cheap 2" gaskets on ebay and then had some stainless flanges cut to match them, will make it look a proper job
IMG_3539Medium.jpg

the big altenator bracket is for the steering column, l have decided not to use the electric steering on this one but just have a 20mm shaft/bar straight down to the rack with one uj at the bottom where it connects to the rack,
nice and simple with a bit more leg room, l am intending to use a 20mm rose joint to hold the steering column at the top and this will slide in the curved bracket to not only give me some adjustment of the steering wheel position but also allow the wheel to be pushed fully forward till its out the windscreen to allow easy access for old folk ;D
the rose joint passes through the bracket with a 5mm stainless "washer" each side to help it sit better and spread the load and then the nut this end in the pics will get replaced with a "knob" of some sort

IMG_3529Medium-Copy.jpg

the steering wheel will be a quick release type which is what the fitting on the top of the column is, it is jammed on with insulation tape in the pic as that column is 19mm and not 20mm which l need to go and obtain,

IMG_3531Medium.jpg

natrually the steering wheel l have wont bolt onto the boss that l have so l needed to have a couple of adapter plates cut from SS as well

IMG_3530Medium.jpg

IMG_3533Medium.jpg

IMG_3534Medium.jpg

IMG_3532Medium.jpg

and there is a steady bar yet to go in from the from the end of the bracket to the side rail

"Boots"

Baloo

exhaust is fitted along with the flanges, and l have changed my mind about about mounting the ecu and coil packs up behind the headrest, l am thinking of making a large pancake type air filter to fit on top of the engine, only half of it will be an air cleaner the other half will contain the ecu coil packs etc

IMG_3541Medium.jpg

IMG_3545Medium.jpg

IMG_3547Medium.jpg

IMG_3544Medium.jpg

Andy

CAW

Lovely Andy, them 180's bends really look good and neaten things up dont they :) , that will be a big pancake, what will you use for the intake?

Andy

Baloo

CAW":23dl6ydi said:
Lovely Andy, them 180's bends really look good and neaten things up dont they :) , that will be a big pancake, what will you use for the intake?

Andy

something like this only bigger, 20" with some sort of mesh round the outside, will have to see what l can find, will make a good place to hide all the bits l dont want to see ::)

aircleaner.png

Phaeton

Staff member
Andy, Any chance your laser cutter could do another couple of those exhaust flanges, I may have to set my exhaust up so it has the cat in it for testing purposes & a pair of then with a straight pipe would fit nice after the test.

Alan...

Fair play Andy.. really coming on now.

With my buggy once id sorted out where each wire was going and what it was doing I chopped the looms and shortened them to make them tidier.. A lot of work but I thought it was worth it.

Allan

Baloo

Phaeton":2q27zxij said:
Andy, Any chance your laser cutter could do another couple of those exhaust flanges, I may have to set my exhaust up so it has the cat in it for testing purposes & a pair of then with a straight pipe would fit nice after the test.

Alan...

no problem Alan l have some in stock ;D when l have stuff cut l usually have a dozen or so done even if l only want a couple, seems daft not to after going to all the trouble of getting the sheet on the laser cutter, how many do you want, 2 or 4 ?, pm me your address and l will put them in the post

Andy

Baloo

Diesel Destroyer":1x2qzn0f said:
Fair play Andy.. really coming on now.

With my buggy once id sorted out where each wire was going and what it was doing I chopped the looms and shortened them to make them tidier.. A lot of work but I thought it was worth it.

Allan

hello Allan

my steptronic mgf is back home and sitting on the drive waiting to be reborn as a buggy, strange driving one as the engine revs don't seem relate to the gearbox/road speed, l guess you get used to that ?

wiring is just about sorted on the buggy, shoulden't be much to chop out as this is road legal and will need most of the wiring in tack, will have to lose the wipers and electric windows lol but not much more
just need to sort the air cleaner and the fuel tank and l can strip it and do the final respray and the reassemble and road test, just in time for the snow no doubt

Andy

Driving the steptronic is like driving a speed boat.. plant your foot hard and the revs instantly hit 6,200.. then the speed comes after that..

I must admit if I drive mine hard I use it in manual

The best bit is being able to acclerate and down shift at the same time.. It deffo takes a bit of getting used to

Baloo

Diesel Destroyer":25annzhb said:
Driving the steptronic is like driving a speed boat.. plant your foot hard and the revs instantly hit 6,200.. then the speed comes after that..

I must admit if I drive mine hard I use it in manual

The best bit is being able to acclerate and down shift at the same time.. It deffo takes a bit of getting used to

l only got to use the shift paddles on the steering wheel a couple of times as l was in traffic all the way back from liecester and wasent sure about which was up and which was down so l just left it in auto most of the time, but it did go ok when l gave it a quick burst, will make a cool buggy power plant

Andy

Yes the constant traction of the CVT leands itself perfectly to a buggy.

The box is ECU controlled and wont let you change up or down that would result engine/box damage.

I want a steptronic in mine now :mad:

Baloo

almost seems a shame to chop it up ::)
tidy little jam jar

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

these are cheap little cars and there are lots of them about, it would make a good base for an updated freestyle using all the mechanicals and maybe even the whole dash seats etc, h,mmmm wheres me tape measure

Baloo

wagon":srl4njpg said:
Wonder if this forum is the single biggest MGF death bed! O0

not sure death is the right word, think of it as a heart transplant ;) it will live on ::)

l can see me becoming an mgf rescue centre or sanctuary ::) l am on the trail of another mgf steptronic that has broken its cam belt, will need to be very cheap before it moves in though ;)

I vote keep it.. buy a medallion and drive it on the road next summer ;D

If you do decide to drive it on the road.. buy a front splitter if it aint got one already!! Huge difference with it on

Baloo

had a bit of time on it this afternoon, made myself a nice fiberglass bonnet to hide all the wiring

IMG_3613Medium.jpg

looks like it was made for the job