Bruces build

BRUC3

Thought I had betyter start a thread for some feedback as im sure there will be loads of questions!

;D

Phaeton

Staff member
Good luck, but if the missus is only 27 weeks, why you not aiming to have it on the road before Ruby is born?

Alan...

BRUC3

That only leaves me 3 months Alan!

What with getting the hosue ready, buying even MORE baby stuff its going to be a case of spreading the cost and finding the odd weekend to work on the buggy.

After looking at the pics I posted earlier their awful, so going to nip out and get a couple of better ones :)

jason_l

WOOHOO!!!!

Looking good mate. I have a feeling that your buggy might have a few of my old parts on? I could be wrong though. I think my parts have been spread out on a few buggy's now ;D

Looks like your keen also as you have picked it up and started on a few bits already.

Keep the updates rolling dude!

Jason :D

BRUC3

Which parts are they Jason?

After 'nipping' back to the garage i got a bit carried away and stripped the steering coloum, steering rack and the suspension set up  :-\

I did take some better pics, although the gf has had a spring clean in the last couple of weeks and now I cant find the bloody lead to plug it into the laptop!  :(

Women! :p

BRUC3

Anyone got an idea why Malcs would of done this?

SAM_0445.jpg

Also does this bolt come out? And if it does is it just a case of hitting it?!

SAM_0446.jpg

jason_l

Actually looking at the pics maybe it has none of my parts on it  :D

Don't know why Malcs would have done that? Its possible to use the standard mini bump stop location, maybe he had them lying about?

Mini Mad Max

Top pic has a progressive bump stop, i've put these on my buggy, they gradually get stiffer the further they compress so you never really bottom out badly damaging things... plus it adds a little bit more antiroll characteristics on the back. They're worth keeping to be honest.

Which bolt do you mean on the second picture? do you mean the top arm roller pin? Or do you mean undoing the nut on the end of the shock that attaches it to the top arm?

Hope that helps!
Max

BRUC3

Sorry I should of made it more clearer in the pics!

The bumpstop has been cut away with by a hacksaw?

It almost looks as if its been cut shorter for some reason?

And yeah the bolt that attaches the top arm!

Cheers for the help :)

Phaeton

Staff member
The bolt only comes out from the front, you have to remove the oval plate, held by 2 bolts & then persuade it to come forward.

I think also the cones/doughnuts may have collapsed, that arm ought to be more parallel to the ground as a starting point & not already facing upwards. I think the bumpstops may have been added to help a set of tired cones/doughnuts.

As to the issue of only 12 weeks what's your point?  ;D ;D

Alan...

BRUC3

does anyone know off the top of their head what size socket I need to do to undo the big bolt at the top of the doughnuts on the rear subframe?

Thank youuuuuuu :)

BRUC3

Just having a quick browse through the forums, and seems people tend to go the 'pendulum pedal box' route...?

Why is this?

And also is it something I shold consider whilst I have a blank canvass?

jason_l

I started off with the pedal assembly you have but changed to a pendulum box.

It keeps everything a lot more compact and gives the passenger alot more leg room as the gubbins are fitted above the box on the drivers side. I went for it more for the fact of i didn't like the existing setup. Although i haven't fully modified the pedals yet.

BRUC3

So its pretty much just to save some space?

It doesnt have any effect on braking performance or anything?

I think I may just fit what I have, as buying a pedal box, getting it welded etc will be even more expence!

Danny

Administrator
the pedal becomes a lot lighter as the pedal on teh floor is takes a bit more effort

Danny

Phaeton

Staff member
***Cough*** Only 1 Pendulum Pedal box left once that one goes, I don't think there will be anymore, shameless shameless plug.

Alan...

jason_l

Its looking good Bruce  ;D

Looks like your really keen on getting on with it and getting stuck in. At this rate you should have it done in no time at all.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming  ;D

Jason :)

BRUC3

Anyone know how much it will cost me to have my chassis shot blasted? its only paint on there, not the original powder coat I thought! :)

Phaeton

Staff member
As to shot blasting Bruce, no idea I'm afraid, but I know would/will pay out for it, it will save so much time in the long run. I do know a company near me who would shot blast & powder coat a Mini subframe all for £30, so I can't see a frame just shot blasted being more than £20-30.

Alan..