Bruces build

Mini Mad Max

Shot blasting is probably better for many reasons, not only will it give your frame a better finish to paint or coat again, but it will save you a hell of a lot of time, and believe me, the boring jobs do make you lose sight of it ever finishing!

You say you haven't updated in a while, I haven't updated in AGES! I'm coming up to updating soon i imagine though :D
Max

BRUC3

Well ive been pointed in the right direction by a mate of mine who had his bike frame blasted for £15... so as long as its under a ton im pretty sure I'l go ahead and get it shot blasted!

HolyCount

the big advantage to shot blasting is speed ---- do the lot and prime it before flash rust coat sets in. Otherwise it's like painting the Forth Bridge ..... by the time you get to one end, t'other has rusted again!!!  And if you try to do it as you go along you'll end up with a patchwork quilt effect ----- or .. give up halfway through out of boredom  ::)

jason_l

Shotblasting gets my vote :D

and i laughed at this  ''Bit of an overdue update as I havent updated it for a while!''
at the moment its only you and me updating, until Max sorts his act out!!! Yes Max, its a race!  ;D

Im planning on getting mine shotblasted, then its coming back to me to make sure all the edges are smoothed and all holes filled etc. Then its going back to get shotblasted again, then etch primmed and powdercoated.

I can't see the shotblasting costing too much? You have the pictures of the frame now so there is nothing stoping you firing off a few emails to shotblasters with the pics and some dims. They will give you a quote soon enough.

Jason :D

HolyCount

jason_l":1p5nwds5 said:
Shotblasting gets my vote :D

[glow=red,2,300]and i laughed at this   ''Bit of an overdue update as I havent updated it for a while!''
at the moment its only you and me updating, until Max sorts his act out!!! Yes Max, its a race[/glow]! ;D

Im planning on getting mine shotblasted, then its coming back to me to make sure all the edges are smoothed and all holes filled etc. Then its going back to get shotblasted again, then etch primmed and powdercoated.

I can't see the shotblasting costing too much? You have the pictures of the frame now so there is nothing stoping you firing off a few emails to shotblasters with the pics and some dims. They will give you a quote soon enough.

Jason :D

You're the only one's still building !!!  Most of us were frightened off by IVA  ::) ::)  Mind you, I will have MSVA to contend with -- but that's a lot easier to pass and a LOT cheaper ( at the mo!)

Mini Mad Max

I'm still building, just need to get back into the swing of things with updating a build diary, plus i need monies!
I've been out today and done a thorough clear out and tidy of my garage... buggy looked real nice outside in the sun! Hopefully this weekend i can see what needs buying to get it to a fully rolling stage... only a few more bits just for rear suspension and brakes and to re-build my engine. My engine is all nice and shiny with a full ballance and block hone, just need an unleaded stage 3 head now... ooh and probably some 1.5:1 roller rockers  ;D This is why my project takes it's time, it's because i'm not on a proper wage and i want all these lovely expensive bits... I'm in debt at the moment to my parents and brother, my other hobbies aren't cheap either!
Max

BRUC3

Just rang a company abotu shot blasting, so hopefully shoudl have a rough price later :)

Will let ya know how I get on!

Phaeton

Staff member
Mini Mad Max":21f0ohwt said:
I'm still building, just need to get back into the swing of things with updating a build diary, plus i need monies!
I've been out today and done a thorough clear out and tidy of my garage... buggy looked real nice outside in the sun! Hopefully this weekend i can see what needs buying to get it to a fully rolling stage... only a few more bits just for rear suspension and brakes and to re-build my engine. My engine is all nice and shiny with a full ballance and block hone, just need an unleaded stage 3 head now... ooh and probably some 1.5:1 roller rockers  ;D This is why my project takes it's time, it's because i'm not on a proper wage and i want all these lovely expensive bits... I'm in debt at the moment to my parents and brother, my other hobbies aren't cheap either!
Max
I know this is a thread hi-jack, but Max it's not because of debt it's because you are a SLACKER just like your teacher tells you you are  ;D ;D

Alan...

jason_l

Phaeton":206l387q said:
Mini Mad Max":206l387q said:
Max
I know this is a thread hi-jack, but Max it's not because of debt it's because you are a SLACKER just like your teacher tells you you are  ;D ;D

Alan...

Im so glad you said that Alan, i have been telling him that for ages and he won't listen to me  :D

Danny

Administrator
Yeah come max you lazy bum get off your lanky arse and get in that garage!

Danny

PS can you email the stoneleigh photos :)

Phaeton

Staff member
That would be ideal but they do make a big mess, sand/grit gets everywhere, hence why a proper place has a booth.

Alan...

BRUC3

I havent abandoned my project! Im currently stripping the paint with a wire wheel and Nitormors in the evenings spending the odd hour on it! Would like to spend more time, but currently re-fitting my bathroom and landscaping my garden in a rush before the iminent new arrival!

Will update my post when its all primered up :)

BRUC3

Thought I had better take some pics tonight as my thread is looking a lil' bland!

After spending last night armed with a wire wheel, I had half the underside rust free and painted in black hammerite...

SAM_0487.jpg

This evening mainly consisted of turning the chassis onto its other side (the side it is in the pics), and giving the garage yet another good sweep!

I also wire wheeled the remaining half of the underside, hammerited and waxoiled the side which was dry from painting yesterday!

Just a few random pics for ya to look at! Nothing to exciting!!! :)

SAM_0488.jpg

SAM_0489.jpg

Tomorrow im hoping to waxoil the remaning underside, then Im going to start thinking about stripping the rear subby ready for painting that!

collie

...and I thought you were on a wind up when you told me!
Never thought about waxoiling mine, mind u it's powdercoated so should be okay?

drew355

Looking good!, not convinced on the waxoyl though, I hate the stuff! Working on a car that has it on is orrible, butthen I suppose if its waxoyled properly, you shouldnt need to work on it!!

The wire wheel worked well on mine too, quicker than my home sandblaster and less messy than nitromors. I found that having it running pretty slowly made more impact than spinning fast. When spinning fast it tended to melt the paint and smear it across the frame. I also used the hammerite liquid rust dissolver stuff and the green gel stuff they have which worked well.