VW Buggy

Baloo

I think the next step is to make an engine stand that I can run the engine on while I sort out the wiring
and at the same time I can use the front half of the golf shell to make a jig off to get all my suspension pick up points off
and then get round to bending some tube, hooray

have given up any ideas of getting this engine and box into my blitz 2 would have to modify it so much it wouldent be a blitz anymore
but still pondering putting it into my kinroad buggy looks like it would fit if I move/bend two tubes in the engine bay

Baloo

and am I right in assuming that this engine turns up in audis as well where they have different shape inlet manifolds like this one which might fit my application better

ChaosMS

Hi - Yeah its used across the range, i went for this one as an engine swap as a test run for the mk3 buggy that will use almost the same engine from a TT!!

wagon_1.0

As chaos said the various vags use em for about 10 years, even in NA!

the turbo is controlled by the waste gate at. 6bar IIRC then an ecu controlled n249 (I think its been a while) which you will have some where on your Loom. (n80?) my brain is confused.

The 1.8t is quite touchy about blowoff valves, you'll have a factory recirc in the turbo inlet pipe. Aftermarket commonly use forge TIP and 007p.

The turbo is water cooled

ChaosMS

Yeah mine came with a forge blowoff valve was wondering if I should get a recirc and put it back in seen as how ive heard they might become an issue for MOT's in the future (something about release of engine gases to the atmosphere - was chatting to a mechanic recently and he mentioned it )

Baloo

wagon_1.0":3r25vl56 said:
As chaos said the various vags use em for about 10 years, even in NA!

the turbo is controlled by the waste gate at. 6bar IIRC then an ecu controlled n249 (I think its been a while) which you will have some where on your Loom. (n80?) my brain is confused.

The 1.8t is quite touchy about blowoff valves, you'll have a factory recirc in the turbo inlet pipe. Aftermarket commonly use forge TIP and 007p.

The turbo is water cooled

so this is the recic valve then ??

wow ders a lota pipes

wagon_1.0

yes thats what the forge valve should replace.... and remain recircing,

if you want ye old tshhh you can still hear it :)

Most of teh pipe you can dump I re positioned a lot of mine to loose plenty!

let me see if i can find some pics

wagon_1.0

hmm that's not quite right if you want to keep your stock parts like N75. That diagram looks like it has aftermarket boost control.

Baloo

hi wagon

yes want to keep it all stock for now
haven't got my head round all the components yet, the terms are a little confusing, like n75 for instance if it was called the wastegate solenoid valve for instance it would make more sense

so N75 is this it ?

or one of these two ?

Baloo

I made an engine stand so I can run the engine up

and had another go at cleaning the engine up now that most of the ancillaries have been removed

Phaeton

Staff member
You're too good to be around here Andy ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D But that doesn't mean you have to go or are not welcome ;D ;D ;D

Baloo

lol not at all its just a shiny engine, I just bought the party pack of elbow grease

and I have nowhere finished cleaning it yet lol

Baloo

ChaosMS":1xfcx44f said:
Hi - Yeah its used across the range, i went for this one as an engine swap as a test run for the mk3 buggy that will use almost the same engine from a TT!!

so if your planning a tt based buggy will it be 4 wheeldrive and how will you arrange the drive train ? that interests me would like to do something similar, have been looking at golf vr6 4 motions on ebay, you can get an mot fail pretty cheap these days

Baloo

trying to find the comms port ( is that the obd2 port ? ) as I would like to get a copy of vagcom is this the baby I want ?

Baloo

sorry about the poor quality of the pics, using phone as I have no idea where I have put my camera lol

ChaosMS

Andy, Holy crap!! that engine is looking fantastic what the hell are you using for a cleaner ? ::)

And yes thats the comms port you need - im stripping the loom down at the moment I havent touched the engine since fitting to the frame but im feeling a little behind the curve now!! ;D

As for the 4 wheel drive system from the TT I had an idea how to remove the diff ECU and use a small programmable board to read the oil pressure sensor and control the oil pump used to set the drive percentage - in theory it should work, I was then going to drive this board from a screen on the dashboard allowing me to select the drive percentage, I couldnt run the standard control unit as this would screw things up (I thought) so this way I could vary the drive to the front when needed

Like I said early days and this engine is teaching me loads already - but its not as clean and lovely as yours !!

wagon_1.0

Baloo":3pn2l3yu said:
hi wagon

yes want to keep it all stock for now
haven't got my head round all the components yet, the terms are a little confusing, like n75 for instance if it was called the wastegate solenoid valve for instance it would make more sense

so N75 is this it ?

That looks like the N75 yes. And also there's your Crank Case Ventilation CCV "puck" - which you could ditch for a catch can, but I didn't because, well why would you :D

wagon_1.0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Xk91 ... sp=sharing

these diagram might help.

The "later" SAI motor like yours and mine has a load of hose circuits for emissions. The "older" AGU doesnt have these, so I used a hybrid of the two to run mine.

Not saying its the right thing to do (why would VW invest so much doing it) and you will need somebody who's can map to get the "missing component" faults codes om the ecu, but, no limp mode = no problem for me :D

Early

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRwpQs ... sp=sharing

I assume if you look at the early you would consider ditching the servo and evap, and possibly the crank ventilation.

and the heater hoses too, so loads you can ditch!!

Baloo

hi

I am getting there found out it was the N75

it started out looking pretty complex but it gets easier as you start to understand it

same with the wiring even that doesn't seem so scary now I have it laid out on a board,, engine and ecu loom dose all un plug from the rest of the car
only thing I can see that was in the car I needed is the throttle pedal and associated wiring from that