VW Buggy

Phaeton

Staff member
Not sure how you'd flip the drive front to back, but instead of using the clutch to vary the drive how about a flappy paddle behind the steering wheel

ChaosMS

Hi well i was thinking of putting the tt engine in the back, flip the diff over and put it in the front then i would need to build a converter box that would connect to what was the output connector plate to the rear of the tt, and send it forward I was thinking of using a similar idea to the nissan 4 wheel drive unit that has a chain driven mechanism (the chain is multiple links wide and very heavy duty and also very small)drive would need to go under the engine.

As for the control I worked out I could use a couple of the small processor boards to control the haldex attach one to a nexion intelligent touch screen with a little code installed i could have a centre screen so you can set or adjust the drive from the screen and have secondary input from buttons on the column allowing you to adjust the drive by varying the oil pressure from the haldex pump (the second processor board would be attached to the haldex and would control the pressure of oil taking its control signal from the primary board.

At least that was the way I was thinking ;D

Phaeton

Staff member
I still don't see how you get the drive from the rear of the car, underneath the engine & get it to come forward, maybe I'm just looking at it from the wrong angle

Just found this, somebody spun the engine 90 degrees

RS200_drivetrain.jpg

Of course the steering wheel is on the wrong side

ChaosMS

oh no no no, not the old turn the engine sideways job, the last thing thats going to pass a road test is that!!

Nope I stick with my sprocket and chain drive converter idea (or helical gears from a old gearbox) to take the drive out the back of the gearbox as normal and send it forward to the diff

Baloo

ChaosMS":1hekm17o said:
oh no no no, not the old turn the engine sideways job, the last thing thats going to pass a road test is that!!

Nope I stick with my sprocket and chain drive converter idea (or helical gears from a old gearbox) to take the drive out the back of the gearbox as normal and send it forward to the diff

I wouldn't see anything wrong with turning a vw engine 90 deg it would just be the same as a passat wouldn't it ?
what I would see as an issue is that you would be double diffing so you would be under geared by a factor of around 4
still on the plus side fitting 48" wheels and tyres would mess the gearing up to much lol

and I think the same as you rich, small transfer box on the out put and send the prop under or possibly through the sump and back to the front, I looked at the morse chain and gears out of the Vitara transferbox would make a neat little unit, still this one is just brain fodder right now lol

just waiting for another mk 4 golf front subframe and legs to turn up and I can get on and make something happen

Baloo

Phaeton":293bnj9f said:
Not sure how you'd flip the drive front to back, but instead of using the clutch to vary the drive how about a flappy paddle behind the steering wheel

flappy paddles might be more convienent to operate but they would be electrical switches so would need to turn a pump on and off where as a clutch pedal with master cylinder would creat enough pressure to close the clutches in the haldrex unit engaging the diff ( i think )

ChaosMS

I didnt know the Vitara unit worked in the same way I will have to take a look - but like you say other things to finish before then!

Phaeton

Staff member
That's very similar to the one I used to have, it was fine for day to day driving, just remember to get the alternator to work you'll probably have to hide a standard 5W bulb somewhere or they have have fixed this glitch.

ChaosMS

Now that is spot on I will keep an eye out for a vitara transfer box - that should be spot on to make up the box needed to take the drive forward !! - ANd like you say all the bits I'll need are right there.

Baloo

rich
how would you arrange the transfer box on a 4 wheeldrive version, would you bolt it to the gearbox or have it remote with a short prop in and a long prop out to the front ?,
I have some Vitara transfer box integral bits coming from a pal who modifies them , will probably be some for you if you want them

Baloo

right I now have 2 golf front subframes to play with
with the power steering rack can I just link the in and out fluid lines leaving some fluid in there and use it as a manual rack ??

and the free style guys what wheelbase are you and how much suspension travel do you have ?

ChaosMS

Andy, yeah was thinking remote with a very short connection to the gearbox output coupling then a long one forward to the diff,that way i could keep the main shaft static movement wise, and what little engine movement could be taken up in the short shaft.

Any spare bits let me know I will build it (I'm already well on with the design) eventually! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D