ChaosMS's Ultralite Buggy Build Discussion Thread

ChaosMS

Danny, Ive just made an update to my build thread and then locked it as we did on the old forum - however I dont seem to be able to unlock it now :-\

Any chance you could unlock it for me, i dont have the option - unless its hidden somewhere

And for some reason I dont seem to be able to send a PM - not sure whats going on there!

Cheers

Rich

ChaosMS

Max,

Its slow going at the moment, just about to sort the disk brakes out and do the plumbing in, got the accelerator cable all sorted and just about to pick up the alloy for the fuel tank heat shield!

Cheers

Rich

wagon

ChaosMS":3204j11z said:
Thanks Max, and when its finished Steve and I are bringing it up to your place!!! a bit of a buggy convoy :)

I'm up for a northern buggy convoy - but....
a: I wont keep up with my paltry 998 >:D
b: I probably wont be finished for AGes!

ChaosMS

Wagon, my machines only a 1000cc 3 cylinder! - it will be both of us trying to keep up with Steve!!!
And as for taking ages, I know JUST what you mean :)

Mini Mad Max

I hopefully will be able to keep up with steve, however, I too probably won't be finished in ages :p That said, when we are all finished, there are a lot of nice places to go in the north :D

ChaosMS

Yeah i know Steve you just cant find good help these days can you ;-) lol

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Danny

Administrator
lol is there anything you cant make???

Just made a tool....lol

Well done it looks very nice

ChaosMS

Well i havent perfected the warp engine yet ;-) lol

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

ChaosMS

Steves2580":2s2o2f7h said:
Might have to borrow that when I get round to making my centre console!!

Steve.

Yeah no worries mate, I have steel 6mm and 8mm rivnuts and Alloy ones the same size ;D your welcome to borrow it :)

Rich

Mick458

Hey I'm new on here and just saw your buggy and I've gotta say it looks Awesome!! I'm in the process of designing my first buggy and its definitely given me a few ideas :) If you don't mind me asking what is the overall length of it?

ChaosMS

Mick458 - Thanks for the comments, the buggy chassis is 3150mm long by 1300mm wide this is measured from the centrelines of the chassis tubes and does not include the suspension arms.

If your thinking of building one from scratch, get hold of some cad/cam software and spend some time designing it, get as many of the major parts as you can and lay them out to give you an idea of where things are going to go, and don’t underestimate just how much tube your going to need there is in excess of 280ft tube in my chassis and suspension (all 32mm / 1.25" with a 2mm wall ERW) also consider how your chassis tubes are going to be bent, (if your putting bends in that is) I tried using one of those cheap pipe benders from Machine Mart (note PIPE bender not TUBE) and nothing I did would allow me to get a decent bend out of it, they were all crap in fact those benders should be called Kinkers, I tried filling the tube with sand and all sorts!! - my answer was to go looking for a "Proper Tube bender" which draws the tube around a former rather than slamming a hydraulic ram into it, in the UK this is not something that pops up that often, so I bought the correct former from the USA waited for it to be imported and built my own bender using the former and a 10/12 tonne bottle jack, and it worked a treat! (I have a habit of building my own tools ;D )

Its also worth checking out Suspension design docs on the web, there is a surprising amount of math involved with setting it all up correctly so do your homework first!

Overall I have loved building my buggy to date, the satisfaction I get from building it all from scratch is great - dont get me wrong some times I could pull my hair out in frustration with this or that problem but in the end I know it will be more than worth all the effort that has gone into the build.

Are you planning on building a road legal buggy? - carefully consider this question, the amount of effort to create a road legal car is massive! the IVA manual is quite frankly the Devils Handbook >:D And strikes fear into all those that read it - you have been warned!! - That said, everyone on this forum I have found to be very very helpful and can offer advice on a multitude of buggy related issues
(Even if some of em are SLACKERS!! ;D ;D ;D LOL)

Let me know if you want any more dimensions - and I hope I haven’t put you off the idea, and if you want to see all the build pics take a look at the build gallery on my buggy website (link in my sig), there is a lot of em though!!

Cheers and good Luck!

Rich

Mick458

thanks for the response :) I don't plan on getting it registered and it will be more like an offroad/sand buggy. I have 3ds max and i am designing it in there but until i get an old donor car to use for parts I am in the dark when it comes to measurements and such.

I did plan on using a tube bender and may have access to one but I will haveto check whether it does pipe or tube. Also what type of welder did you use? I have access to an arc welder but im not sure if it will do the job or not.